Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok dropped or timetable glitch?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
Bangkok dropped or timetable glitch?

Does anyone know if the route has been officially dropped in 2021? Timetable only showing to and including March 27 for BKK-LHR whereas it should be showing to and including Apr 2 as at today’s date. If I use the booking engine, it just returns results via KUL from Mar 28 with a codeshare on Bangkok Airways and then BA to London. I am wondering if it’s an IT issue as if I check Hong Kong to London (one way), an error message is returned for Apr 1 and Apr 2 but if I select Mar 31 (within timetables), results are then returned for Apr 1 and Apr 2. Also, the Hong Kong timetable seems to work fine for Apr 1 and Apr 2 if it’s queried as a return flight from London, outbound March and then return Apr 1 or Apr 2. How mysterious! Many thanks in advance for any ideas.
Sealink likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
I can't imagine that BA have the faintest idea where they will and will not be flying by April next year!
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
deleted
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Can't imagine that BA would drop BKK from their schedule for next year...so a glitch...

Where else would that special 744 from the subfleet be used on...??

Chris
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fruitcage
I can't imagine that BA have the faintest idea where they will and will not be flying by April next year!
My apologies for posting what I thought to be a legitimate question at a time when BA is showing timetables for other routes in April 2021.
arh1 and NoY like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chris_G
Can't imagine that BA would drop BKK from their schedule for next year...so a glitch...

Where else would that special 744 from the subfleet be used on...??

Chris
Thanks Chris. I thought so too but then I’m always reading on Flyertalk about how Bangkok isn’t a profitable route for BA and we’re already starting to see some strange route decisions such as the loss of Helsinki.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:40 am

28/3 should be the last Sunday of March, i.e. the end of the winter season. Either the route stops at that time or the season hasn't been fully loaded yet. I'd give it a few days and then would check again.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking
My apologies for posting what I thought to be a legitimate question at a time when BA is showing timetables for other routes in April 2021.
I am not trying to be unhelpful and I apologise if it came over that way. I am simply saying that whether a route is or is not bookable for next April is probably a poor indicator of whether or not the planes will actually fly.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 13901
28/3 should be the last Sunday of March, i.e. the end of the winter season. Either the route stops at that time or the season hasn't been fully loaded yet. I'd give it a few days and then would check again.
Thank you - fingers crossed!
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:54 am

Thank you - fingers crossed!
If it doesn't work bear in mind that there's Thai and Eva on the route. Both have better planes, times and often prices than BA or the Doha transit.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Actually it does beg the question as to what sort of airline is going to emerge from all this...

I suspect BA will become even more aggressively bottom line focussed with any aspirate nod towards its "Imperial" past finally put to rest. The elimination of free food in Y on European routes being the least of it compared to what could come...

Think out of the box...
  1. Stop being a full service airline by removal of F class and closure of Concorde room
  2. Minor enhancements to J class to compensate
  3. More lounge sharing, reduction of facilities and outright closure of lounges around the world except major hubs.
  4. Stop pretending to be a worldwide airline by closure of any route deemed unprofitable
  5. Extend and deepen Oneworld alliance to compensate for route closures...and increase profitability by reducing competition.
  6. You keep LHR to LAX and we'll keep LHR to etc etc…and then jack up prices.
  7. The future of airline travel is likely to be a) expensive in any class b) service will be bare bone
  8. Oh, and for BA Exec members...nuts to them... If they want to be snobs and pretend we care and go on silly tier point runs to keep their status up for what's left, then good luck to them...
Chris
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 13901
If it doesn't work bear in mind that there's Thai and Eva on the route. Both have better planes, times and often prices than BA or the Doha transit.
Thank you - good advice but I do actually prefer BA wherever possible because despite all the bashing, it’s the who crew make it for me.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Actually it does beg the question as to what sort of airline is going to emerge from all this...

I suspect BA will become even more aggressively bottom line focussed with any aspirate nod towards its "Imperial" past finally put to rest. The elimination of free food in Y on European routes being the least of it compared to what could come...

Think out of the box...
  1. Stop being a full service airline by removal of F class and closure of Concorde room
  3. More lounge sharing, reduction of facilities and outright closure of lounges around the world except major hubs.
  4. Stop pretending to be a worldwide airline by closure of any route deemed unprofitable
  5. Extend and deepen Oneworld alliance to compensate for route closures...and increase profitability by reducing competition.
  6. You keep LHR to LAX and we'll keep LHR to etc etc…and then jack up prices.
  7. The future of airline travel is likely to be a) expensive in any class b) service will be bare bone
  8. Oh, and for BA Exec members...nuts to them... If they want to be snobs and pretend we care and go on silly tier point runs to keep their status up for what's left, then good luck to them...
Chris
CHRIS! Way too much reality - we all need something to look forward to! Sadly though, I have to admit you might be right...
Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Removing 1st class would not change whether the airline was a full service one. If combined with (2) , that would seem to be an actual positive

Removing unprofitable routes is something that should be happening - BA isn't a charity ( unless their lack of profitability on their own is offset by money from connectin traffic )
Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Thanks Chris. I thought so too but then I’m always reading on Flyertalk about how Bangkok isn’t a profitable route for BA and we’re already starting to see some strange route decisions such as the loss of Helsinki.
No one on FT knows is a specific route is profitable or not.

BA operates many routes that individually may make a loss but overall because of connections they make money. Thats why looking at a route in isolation is not a good idea. You can bet your last threpence ha'penny that if the BKK route was a loss maker (taking into account connecting traffic) then BA would end it.

HEL is a different proposition. There are several AY flights a day so no real reason for BA to operate it's own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.