Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Going to single runway use to change weekly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Going to single runway use to change weekly

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Lots of information here https://www.heathrow.com/company/loc...ford-agreement

Use of 09L regularly for takeoffs can't happen until the consent is given for the work required in terms of taxiways apparently.
Oxon Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BlueStuLondon
This document mentions the building of new taxiways at the western end of the northern runway as being necessary for 09L to be used for departures. How will this work without the new taxiways?
Necessary for delivering the schedule of nearly 700 departures per day from a dedicated departure runway, not 100 departures a day from a single runway airport.

There was a day last week where LHR was within 2 flights of not being the busiest airport in the country.
ianwall and flatlander like this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Necessary for delivering the schedule of nearly 700 departures per day from a dedicated departure runway, not 100 departures a day from a single runway airport.

There was a day last week where LHR was within 2 flights of not being the busiest airport in the country.
Begs the question.... who was nearly the busiest ? EMA ?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by psollitt
Begs the question.... who was nearly the busiest ? EMA ?
Aberdeen.

More North Sea rig helicopter flights, as the riggies on the flights need to sit further apart!
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Who would have guessed we'd see a day where Aberdeen effectively has the same number of flights as LHR?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Trent900
Expansion talk has disappeared for some reason.
Originally Posted by BlueStuLondon
This document mentions the building of new taxiways at the western end of the northern runway as being necessary for 09L to be used for departures. How will this work without the new taxiways?
The recent Judicial Review judgement means the timescale for expansion at Heathrow has shifted significantly.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
So what was the actual top 10 traffic movements in the UK ?
Old Apr 4, 2020, 3:35 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Who would have guessed we'd see a day where Aberdeen effectively has the same number of flights as LHR?
As it sit in my Mum's conservatory to the West of Aberdeen it's fun to watch the choppers fly overhead while tracking them on Flightradar24. We appear to be under one of the approach/departure paths. There do seem to be slightly more flights than usual.

And 100% happy to no longer be sitting in them - 6 years of the vibration and noise was enough!
BOH and toothy like this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:07 pm

Programs: BA
Aberdeen.

More North Sea rig helicopter flights, as the riggies on the flights need to sit further apart!
You are right, the skies over northern Scotland is full of helicopters right now. I never had so many flying overhead before. (I live within 2 miles of KOI)
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:14 am

Looks like today is the day LHR will become the second busiest airport in the UK. around 150 movements today.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:02 am

Looks like today is the day LHR will become the second busiest airport in the UK. around 150 movements today.
I look forward to the NATS twitter feed highlighting that!
Heathrow Tower likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
When is LHR going to dual runway ops? I am seeing planes start to do holding patterns before landing now, so wouldn't this be a reason to have more runways?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 7:27 am

What's the busiest? Can't seem to think what it could be...
Old Jul 21, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
When is LHR going to dual runway ops? I am seeing planes start to do holding patterns before landing now, so wouldn't this be a reason to have more runways?
The southerly runway is now closed fully until early August for repair work, so nothing will change for the next few weeks. Beyond then, the same runway will continue to be closed each evening for overnight work, so there may be a point during peak day time operations that LHR reverts to a 2 runway operation, but my understanding was that at present the current plan is for it to continue alternating until October.

Pilot37
Old Jul 21, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
I live underneath the flight path in SW London. I think we're a long way from needing to go back to 2 runways based on current noise levels. One of the few positives of the last few months,
SW7London likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.