Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Going to single runway use to change weekly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...

As reported in Business Traveller , https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...UqlU1D1wAIiF_U

This is interesting with noise abatement and delays ? LHR still has quite a few movements ...
Old Apr 2, 2020, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As someone under the flight path when LHR is on westerlies, believe me LHR has far fewer movements now. The conga line that normally goes un-noticed has been replaced by surprise when a plane actually does go over!

As an example there are just 2 inbound flights to LHR across the whole of the U.K., Europe and North America!

Last edited by Swanhunter; Apr 2, 2020 at 2:26 pm
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
But most of the Cargo are Heavies ... not exactly as quiet as most S/H operation they can squeeze in ... also does beg the question with Hospital distribution around London why STN is not being used more being closer to the EXCEL Center ? But at times like these the UKG most they a reason, needs must ...
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
As someone under the flight path when LHR is on westerlies, believe me LHR has far fewer movements now. The normal conga line that normally goes un-noticed has been replaced by surprise when a plane actually does go over!

As an example there are just 2 inbound flights to LHR across the whole of the U.K., Europe and North America!

Is that today and onwards? So just 2 inbound flights today? Sorry I’m trying to digest that crazy (in today’s terms) piece of info
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Is that today and onwards? So just 2 inbound flights today? Sorry I’m trying to digest that crazy (in today’s terms) piece of info
Sorry I should have been clearer - 2 at the time I posted the original message.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I took it to mean in the sky at the time of writing. There's definitely more than 2 a day.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC
Thanks! However I’m not completely mad in today’s world, I’ll defend my post there!!
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:21 am

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Originally Posted by psollitt
also does beg the question with Hospital distribution around London why STN is not being used more being closer to the EXCEL Center ?
Zooming off-topic, but I suspect this was (at least part of) the reason LCY was closed.. and the RAF having tested flying a Hercules into LCY?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cyberhacker
Zooming off-topic, but I suspect this was (at least part of) the reason LCY was closed.. and the RAF having tested flying a Hercules into LCY?
I believe so, in case of need. Central London low level airspace has had quite a lot of Chinooks and Apache gunships (alarmingly) buzzing around.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
LCY is now RAF Nightingale.
heckenhocker and alvinlwh like this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:20 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Not a BA aircraft, but interesting C130 (Hercules) landing at LCY

Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:44 am

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Originally Posted by Worcester
This was what I was referring to:
Originally Posted by Cyberhacker
.. and the RAF having tested flying a Hercules into LCY?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 3:14 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester

https://twitter.com/AJBC_1/status/1242497223709130754
Years ago, a US Hercules landed and took off from an aircraft carrier, it departed without using a catapult too as C130s are not built to use one. Here is a link to the trials.

Amusingly the commentary stated the pilots chosen for the test flights had not flown a 4-engine plane before (yeah right) and did the commentator say one of the crew was called Lt STOVL?
Owenc likes this.

Last edited by BOH; Apr 3, 2020 at 3:25 am
Old Apr 3, 2020, 4:45 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by BOH
Years ago, a US Hercules landed and took off from an aircraft carrier, it departed without using a catapult too as C130s are not built to use one. Here is a link to the trials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar-poc38C84

Amusingly the commentary stated the pilots chosen for the test flights had not flown a 4-engine plane before (yeah right) and did the commentator say one of the crew was called Lt STOVL?
Yes he did and Lt Flatly, (landing on a Flat top)
BOH likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
I'm surprised they're not just closing one full stop. Although doing so would give issues for diversions to nearby airfields with so few remaining open, not to mention the reduction in handling capacity at those that do remain open. It's not so easy now for a flight to divert to a nearby foreign airfield.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.