Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Gatwick operations temporarily suspended, effective 30 March

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Gatwick operations temporarily suspended, effective 30 March

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I am now hearing more rumours that JER will get a service to London again. I guess BA are planning a skeleton LHR-JER service once BAs LGW ops stop.
Useful for our LHR-IAD in July ... ah, we have a problem: POTUS!
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC
Tomorrow (30th March) there is only 1 BA departure, this is to Jersey.

Can anyone confirm if this is the final BA departure from LGW?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Presumably, the two 777s that are currently in LIM will return to LGW and not LHR.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:59 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
A large airport terminal such as LGW(N) might also make a good temporary hospital if things really get out of hand. Alot of infrastructure already there, good transport connections and next to a runway, the North terminal is less cluttered than the South and the check-in area and main airside departure area are generally large open spaces. SOU is being considered (much smaller scale of course) according to a good friend in the NHS in Hampshire
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:26 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Surely only Hilary Mantel runs a skeleton service?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
LGW operation now closed.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Can I help you
LGW operation now closed.
Totally? Eeek!!! I knew our JER connection was going, but ... everything?!

Best of luck to all those affected there ... that’s a lot of people, Air and Ground, laid off.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well it’s only temporarily but who knows how long that will be, no news on any staff being laid off.
wrp96 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Well it’s only temporarily but who knows how long that will be, no news on any staff being laid off.
Will they lay off any staff? Or just furlough them on 80% pay from govt.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We don’t know, as far as I know BA hasn’t furloughed any staff yet?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BOH
A large airport terminal such as LGW(N) might also make a good temporary hospital if things really get out of hand. Alot of infrastructure already there, good transport connections and next to a runway, the North terminal is less cluttered than the South and the check-in area and main airside departure area are generally large open spaces. SOU is being considered (much smaller scale of course) according to a good friend in the NHS in Hampshire
They'll open all 10,000 beds at excel, NEC and Manchester (plus number TBC in Cardiff and Glasgow) first. It's going to take at least 6 weeks to get them up and running then they'll go from there, but regional exhibition / conference centres are next to be used. Frankly once all the national centres then appropriate regional centres used, staffing would become a serious issue. They are already looking for 25,000 staff for 3 units already announced.

LGW and/or SOU is far more likely to be used as an excess death centres than a hospital.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by milkyway88
They'll open all 10,000 beds at excel, NEC and Manchester (plus number TBC in Cardiff and Glasgow) first. It's going to take at least 6 weeks to get them up and running then they'll go from there, but regional exhibition / conference centres are next to be used. Frankly once all the national centres then appropriate regional centres used, staffing would become a serious issue. They are already looking for 25,000 staff for 3 units already announced.

LGW and/or SOU is far more likely to be used as an excess death centres than a hospital.
Will we get there?
Sir Vallance already said that the rate of increase is lower than they expected and warmer weather is on its way soon.
Lockdown may have only been a week old but things were empty most of March so looks like we have successfully delayed the surge enough for the NHS to cope, although too soon to release lockdown measures just yet.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There are plenty of places more suitable for use as either hospitals or mortuaries than airport terminal buildings.

A hangar would be used over a terminal building even if only for easy of access and then cleaning afterwards.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Will we get there?
Sir Vallance already said that the rate of increase is lower than they expected and warmer weather is on its way soon.
Lockdown may have only been a week old but things were empty most of March so looks like we have successfully delayed the surge enough for the NHS to cope, although too soon to release lockdown measures just yet.
Hopefully not, rate of growth maybe flattening slightly but it will take another week to see if the lockdown is working.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There are plenty of places more suitable for use as either hospitals or mortuaries than airport terminal buildings.

A hangar would be used over a terminal building even if only for easy of access and then cleaning afterwards.
Or just large flat spaces to put up temporary structures. I don't think the public areas of terminals are really being considered but I'm not as close to the excess death planning as to the medical planning.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:09 pm

BA is gone from Gatwick

Just in, via Alastair Dalton ("Transport Correspondent and columnist, The Scotsman/Scotland on Sunday")

British Airways has confirmed to me it is halting flights at Gatwick Airport: "Due to considerable restrictions & challenging market environment, like many other airlines, we will temporarily suspend our flying schedule at Gatwick"
Said to take effect from Wednesday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.