Wiki Posts
Search

Splitting a two-leg trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Pleb
Splitting a two-leg trip

Given a trip of SIN-LHR-EDI in business on BA, a Samsonite Cityvibe 16" laptop backpack and a Samsonite 68" medium Litecube DLX, is it possible to load both the bags in the cabin on the first leg and then not bother taking the LHR-EDI leg? As opposed to trying to wrangle with customer service at this of all times.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
You could technically do this, however, you would lose your rights for all the remaining flights in your ticket. FE: If you're returning to SIN on the same ticket that would be automatically canceled.
Also, there may be other consequences such as suspension of your FFP account, etc... but I personally haven't heard that much punishment from BA but heard from other airlines.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
68 inches is almost 6 foot long.

have you given the correct measurements?

the size of bags allowed in the cabin are on the website.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:40 am

Programs: BAGA Gymnastics 4.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

It's 68cm on the longest side and therefore too large for BA cabin. Any chance they could waive that rule if the flight is very quiet?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:40 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

I assume it's a typo for 68cm, i.e. this bag: https://www.samsonite.co.uk/lite-cub...1243-1004.html

As I understand it, given BA won't short check, the OP wants to take the above bag into the cabin so they can simply end their flight at LHR and leave with all their bags.

I don't know SIN at all (e.g. does it have central security) - would they be able to get it through the scanners? Would BA refuse it at the gate? It's certainly quite a bit oversize.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by BertieBadger

I assume it's a typo for 68cm, i.e. this bag: https://www.samsonite.co.uk/lite-cub...1243-1004.html

As I understand it, given BA won't short check, the OP wants to take the above bag into the cabin so they can simply end their flight at LHR and leave with all their bags.

I don't know SIN at all (e.g. does it have central security) - would they be able to get it through the scanners? Would BA refuse it at the gate? It's certainly quite a bit oversize.
SIN does not have central security, all security screening occurs at the gate. BA might force the OP to gate check the bags and they would refuse to check it till LHR and would check it till EDI.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I can't see you getting that case on board a flight leaving SIN these days (or any other days).
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
That is not a cabin bag, that is a suitcase, and it goes in the hold which is where it will end up, tagged to EDI.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
SIN does not have central security, all security screening occurs at the gate. BA might force the OP to gate check the bags and they would refuse to check it till LHR and would check it till EDI.
Gate check is a funny thing. I flew SIN-LHR-GLA-KOI last month and was forced to gate check (not that I actually mind) at LHR. Luckily I took a picture of those case as the tag was only to GLA and on arrival, I asked about them and was told that I have to collect them from the belt and recheck for the last lag.

NOTE: May or may not be the same in OP's case from SIN, IDK.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alvinlwh
Gate check is a funny thing. I flew SIN-LHR-GLA-KOI last month and was forced to gate check (not that I actually mind) at LHR. Luckily I took a picture of those case as the tag was only to GLA and on arrival, I asked about them and was told that I have to collect them from the belt and recheck for the last lag.

NOTE: May or may not be the same in OP's case from SIN, IDK.
Could the reason behind for BA to check your bags until Glasgow could be that there are no customs facilities at Kirkwall.
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Could the reason behind for BA to check your bags until Glasgow could be that there are no customs facilities at Kirkwall.
sounds quite possible, When doing an INT-DOM connection at LHR you do immigration in T5 but effectively do customs at the DOM airport when you collect your bag. I guess KOI has no customs facilities at all so for a SIN-LHR-GLA-KOI it would make sense that the bag can only be checked to GLA.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:09 am

Incorrect, there is no customs at GLA either, I came out as a domestic pax. I had also flown SIN-LHR-ABZ, in the past, did not went through international channels, all checked bags came out through domestic belt.

Also, we are talking about gate checked bags, how about checked bags from SIN when were checked through all the way to KOI? They never went through customs either.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
sounds quite possible, When doing an INT-DOM connection at LHR you do immigration in T5 but effectively do customs at the DOM airport when you collect your bag. I guess KOI has no customs facilities at all so for a SIN-LHR-GLA-KOI it would make sense that the bag can only be checked to GLA.
My check in luggage from SIN were tag through to KOI. No customs either. And the gate checked bags to GLA went came out on the domestic belt.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alvinlwh
Incorrect, there is no customs at GLA either, I came out as a domestic pax. I had also flown SIN-LHR-ABZ, in the past, did not went through international channels, all checked bags came out through domestic belt.
There is - it may just be a phone on the wall.

EDIT: btw I don't see what this has to do with the OP's issue? There would be no problem checking a bag either at check in or the gate for SIN-LHR-EDI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.