Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Greedy BA [I cancelled my ticket, BA won’t refund ancillary fees]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greedy BA [I cancelled my ticket, BA won’t refund ancillary fees]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:31 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I had a similar issue recently on a non-One World airline. Due to Coronavirus, I cancelled the flight but seat fees were not refunded (as per the airline's T&Cs). My insurance company will cover the financial loss for the flight, but not the seat fees as the latter was an optional extra.

Doc Copper
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
My insurance company will cover the financial loss for the flight, but not the seat fees as the latter was an optional extra.
This seems odd, as I'd have thought that almost every aspect of flying, including the cost of the flight itself, is an "optional extra".

You could argue that paying more to fly from LHR rather than STN, or at a sensible time of day, or even flying BA rather than Wizz, is optional.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:56 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
This seems odd, as I'd have thought that almost every aspect of flying, including the cost of the flight itself, is an "optional extra".

You could argue that paying more to fly from LHR rather than STN, or at a sensible time of day, or even flying BA rather than Wizz, is optional.
Not really. Its personal choice if I want to pay for a particular seat rather than the one allocated to me by the airline.

Doc Copper
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
so using the OP case.. lets say I was planning to go to a show/event/sporting event... if the event is cancelled, its not the airlines fault,
so why would I expect the airlines to refund me the money for the ticket..especially if that flight actually flew...
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by fotographer
so using the OP case.. lets say I was planning to go to a show/event/sporting event... if the event is cancelled, its not the airlines fault,
so why would I expect the airlines to refund me the money for the ticket..especially if that flight actually flew...
Again, he's not asking for the refund of the ticket. It's the seat fees.

Think about it this way. As it stands, I guess the OP will never use BA again. However, if BA were to offer a voucher for the seat fees, then maybe that would be an incentive to book another BA flight in the future.
:D! likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Again, he's not asking for the refund of the ticket. It's the seat fees.

Think about it this way. As it stands, I guess the OP will never use BA again. However, if BA were to offer a voucher for the seat fees, then maybe that would be an incentive to book another BA flight in the future.
perhaps or perhaps he will use BA in the future anyway, having lots of debt in the form of vouchers- although some will not get used before they expire and others will be used only for part value, the costs incurred will remain real and result is a loss for the airline- too much loss and they are in trouble; bearing in mind they will be coming out of a situation which may be up to 18 months or even more by some predictions.

I think offering a voucher for the actual flight but not for the seats is a fair compromise- and already way above contractual obligations in a lot of cases.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The insurer got it right here. The ticket losses are covered but optional extras are not. OP could have selected a seat without cost at T-24 or had one assigned by the carrier.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Wow, I guess things are tough on the Europe side of the atlantic... Yes T&C say non-ref but this is a worldwide crisis.... here in the US things are being waived is that not happening in Europe?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
The insurer got it right here. The ticket losses are covered but optional extras are not. OP could have selected a seat without cost at T-24 or had one assigned by the carrier.
I don’t think the OP said anything about travel insurance covering the flight, that was another poster.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:23 am

I'm trying my luck now with a seat refund. I has used AA miles to book a trip back in June 2019 for a May 2020 trip, this was for a return to the US after a river cruise. Because my wife and I fall in the don't travel group due to age we switched the cruise to the end of August 2020. Because it would be more then a year since the tickets were issued AA wouldn't just rebook it, the trip had to be cancelled, I had to pay the fee to redeposit the miles and book a new trip, same flight numbers on BA. I've paid for seat assignments on the new flights and hoping that BA will refund for the prior flight, but not holding out much hope, but would at least like to see what their response will be.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by fwfdan
Wow, I guess things are tough on the Europe side of the atlantic... Yes T&C say non-ref but this is a worldwide crisis.... here in the US things are being waived is that not happening in Europe?

Yes all sorts of things are being waived NOW - refunds or vouchers for cancelled flights etc - but in the OPs case their flight was before everything really kicked off in Europe. They voluntarily decided not to travel and AA refunded the flights but BA won’t refund the seat selection fees fees the OP paid because it was a voluntary cancellation.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Yes all sorts of things are being waived NOW - refunds or vouchers for cancelled flights etc - but in the OPs case their flight was before everything really kicked off in Europe. They voluntarily decided not to travel and AA refunded the flights but BA won’t refund the seat selection fees fees the OP paid because it was a voluntary cancellation.
Ah.... I see. I guess that I thought that March 3 this was already in full swing but now that I think about it that was a a long time ago in terms of how fast things are moving these days! Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by navylad
I think offering a voucher for the actual flight but not for the seats is a fair compromise- and already way above contractual obligations in a lot of cases.
Am I the only person able to read???

The OP booked with AA miles, and has had those refunded.
HilFly, :D! and subject2load like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
I always cringe when I see "Greed" or "Greedy" in a thread title. One can usually expect a case where the facts support the airline/hotel but OP wants their money back regardless.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by bosman
I always cringe when I see "Greed" or "Greedy" in a thread title. One can usually expect a case where the facts support the airline/hotel but OP wants their money back regardless.
In normal circumstances I'd agree. However, BA and other airlines will be crying out for customers to return once we are over this. A little bit of goodwill now would go a long way.
HilFly and :D! like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.