Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Greedy BA [I cancelled my ticket, BA won’t refund ancillary fees]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:05 am
Original Poster

I was to fly BA to Geneva on March 3 for the Geneva Auto show. The show was cancelled due to the Corona virus. I had a slight challenge getting American Airlines not to charge me the Award redeposit fee. But getting BA to refund my $390 for my bussines class seats has fallen on deaf ear. They Don't care!!! I tried talking to a supervisor twice, it's worse than talking to a brick wall. How GREEDY,

Any suggestions ? Right now $390 to me and most people on this planet is a lot of money. Plesse help !
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So this was a separate ticket LHR to GVA? I don’t think it’s BA’s fault that you can no longer travel, so perhaps this is something to take up with your travel insurance? Depending on when the ticket was bought, you may get a voucher for future travel. As to the money, it was spent anyway, what you are missing is the travel experience.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Am not sure insurance would cover it. The flight apparently operated and there were no travel restrictions at the time that I recall.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sydneyjb
I was to fly BA to Geneva on March 3 for the Geneva Auto show.....!
Did the aircraft fly XXX-GVA as scheduled?
If the flight flew as scheduled the reason you did not fly on the ticket your purchased is nothing to do with BA.
How long before the flight did you cancel it? Any refund will be as the ticket t&c's when you bought the ticket
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Am not sure insurance would cover it. The flight apparently operated and there were no travel restrictions at the time that I recall.
I think that would depend on your policy, but I suspect you are correct. The only argument, aside from a disinclination to travel, that one could make with the insurance would be a trip in vain, which may or may not be covered. But no reason for BA to refund.
argonath likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:51 am
Suspended

I was to fly BA to Geneva on March 3 for the Geneva Auto show. The show was cancelled due to the Corona virus. I had a slight challenge getting American Airlines not to charge me the Award redeposit fee. But getting BA to refund my $390 for my bussines class seats has fallen on deaf ear. They Don't care!!! I tried talking to a supervisor twice, it's worse than talking to a brick wall. How GREEDY,

Any suggestions ? Right now $390 to me and most people on this planet is a lot of money. Plesse help !
unfortunately if the flight operated and you decided not to travel if you bought a non refundable then unfortunately it's exactly that

if it's just seat fees then again they are non refundable if you cancel or change your booking
AlanA likes this.

Last edited by Hawk777; Mar 20, 2020 at 2:57 am
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:53 am

You bought a non refundable ticket on a flight that operated. On this side of the Atlantic non refundable means just that. You chose not to fly.
AlanA and hessbo like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:55 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
OP, presumably your proposed flight to London still operated as well?

Aside from the fact that BA would only see a LHR-GVA flight, the fact remains that you therefore could still have taken the trip as booked and just done different things in Geneva. You, quite probably perfectly sensibly in your own eyes, made the choice to cancel - it was not imposed upon you.

In those circumstances, with the position on 3rd March being much less grave than it is now, it’s difficult to see why any airline should refund you.

I think the reality is that you’re going to have to accept the taxes back, or perhaps a voucher for future travel depending on when you booked.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

From the OP, this was an Award ticket using AA miles on BA flights. The complaint is that although AA allowed him to cancel and get his points back, he couldn't get the seat fees back.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
From the OP, this was an Award ticket using AA miles on BA flights. The complaint is that although AA allowed him to cancel and get his points back, he couldn't get the seat fees back.
yep which basically is the same.answer unfortunately as if it was a flight. Unfortunately the flight operated they cancelled but as per t and cs seating non refundable on BA which they would have agreed to at time of booking them
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:01 am
Suspended

Possibly, but that doesn't change the underlying answer. OP chose not to travel on a flight that operated. I don't think you get seat fees back for that, do you?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:03 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

This was posted on Head for Points this morning. I don't know whether it's appropriate in this case :-

If you paid for seat selection, you LOSE this money if you cancel. You may prefer to take the travel voucher as I believe the seat selection value is retained, either as part of the voucher or as a credit for free seat selection when you rebook.
Maybe ask BA if they'll give a voucher for future seat selection fees? I guess the answer would be no, but it's worth a shout.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Possibly, but that doesn't change the underlying answer. OP chose not to travel on a flight that operated. I don't think you get seat fees back for that, do you?
correct ba won’t refund these fees. There are some reports that people who choose the legal route able successfully get a refund.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:08 am
Suspended

From the horse's mouth:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-de...es-and-refunds

When you cannot claim a refund

• If you cancel your flight.
  • If you are upgraded by us.
  • If you are not suitable to sit in the seat type you have selected (according to CAA safety regulations) e.g. an exit row seat.
  • If you choose to change your flight, you will be entitled to choose an equivalent seat on your new flight. If you change to a lower priced seat, we will be unable to refund you the difference.
  • If you booked a British Airways operated flight through another airline, e.g. Iberia, and you change your flight, you will not receive a refund for the reserved seats and you will need to reserve and pay for seats again on the new flight.
  • If it is more than 30 days since the completion of the last flight.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:20 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Maybe ask BA if they'll give a voucher for future seat selection fees? I guess the answer would be no, but it's worth a shout.
Personally, I don't see any point. The T&Cs are very clear on this point. The OP has already cancelled the flight, I can't see BA being flexible here. Especially given the flight was due to take place well before any restrictions kicked in.

If the OP does want to pursue this with BA, can I at least suggest they wait a couple of weeks. BA's call centre staff must still be pretty stretched at the moment, trying to repatriate people from far-flung places. I have a flight 10 days away that I do have to cancel, but am not even contemplating trying to call BA right now to sort this out. There are other people in more urgent need of their help right now.
SpeedbirdLHR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.