Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long for refunds to be processed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
4 cancellations and refunds requested on Tuesday. 4 refunds to my CC showing on CC statement on Friday!
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by BA refund helper
Hello, I am sorry you were told this, as it isn't true. It is true that Lockdown 3 in the UK has led to an increase in the backlog, but for the vast majority of bookings sent to back office it should be taking a few weeks to be processed

As has been mentioned on here in the past, the complexity of bookings (has it been reissued? are there multiple currencies on the ticket? are there 2 credit cards as payment? was a voucher used as part payment?) will affect the timescales. Any straightforward booking should be refunded on the call to the contact centres, and show on the credit card a few days later. Any Avios requiring a refund could be done by a different team, so don't panic if you get the cash but not the refund - or vice versa - at the same time.

Anyone who has had their flight cancelled wanting a cash refund, who can't get through to the call centre, please consider filling in the webform on ba.com. If the booking is a basic one, a robotic will refund it, and if it's complex it will be auto-sent to the same team looking at the bookings sent by the contact centres.

Colleagues around the BA world are processing refunds and reissues, in lieu of their day job due to the reduced flying programme, and this will remain the case until the backlogs are back to normal levels.

If anyone has been waiting over a month for a refund or reissue, please drop me a note and I will take a look.

As I have said here in the past, but it is worth repeating, I am grateful for everyone's patience in these matters, as well as their overall levels of support in what remains a challenging time for the contact centres specifically, and airline overall.

BA Refund Helper

Thanks for the update.

ive just had a BA Holiday auto cancelled. It was funded by 2 x flight only FTVs and 2 x additional payments made on 2 different cards.

The cancellation email advised refund in 7-10 days however the following day I received another Future Travel Voucher. In view of the complexity when making new bookings I opted for a cash refund and the agent said there were no card details held so she asked for my bank details which I provided.

How long will this refund typically take to action and are payments made by the 3 day BACS method or near instant Faster Payment?

Am greatful for the teams dealing with refunds. I’ve opted for 3 card refunds so far and 7 x FTV. The problem is as FTVs morph into new bookings it gets complex when they are cancelled so I might refund future cancellations and rebook afresh.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 7:47 am
formerly JackDann

Cancelled my BA Reward booking last week over the phone. Refund back onto Amex within 2 days. Impressed and will certainly book again knowing that if I have to cancel it was relatively hassle free.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Another data point for refunds that have to be manually processed - refund requested by phone on 8 Jan. Credited back to my Amex today (with a processing date of 24th) so just over 2 weeks
Old Jan 26, 2021, 5:08 am

Programs: BA
Last year, April and June, refunds took about 3 days, I have recently had to apply for a refund for flights in December just gone and it took about 10 days. At least the call waiting time was about 7 minutes this time, unlike it being above 30 mins last year. Guess the volume is down significantly now as fewer people now have bookings outstanding unlike last year when people were booking as normal up to March.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Flights cx by BA
Applied for a refund 27 th December
avios and 241 back in instantaneously but still no sign of the cash , have chased twice.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
How long from the time of cancel does it take to receive a credit voucher for use on a future flight? I'm currently holding a reservation for later this year but will certainly need to re-book but am, at this time, unsure of my re-booking dates..
Old Jan 27, 2021, 8:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by geo1005
How long from the time of cancel does it take to receive a credit voucher for use on a future flight? I'm currently holding a reservation for later this year but will certainly need to re-book but am, at this time, unsure of my re-booking dates..
You mean the future travel voucher? For a flight only booking you should get it within 1-2 hours of submitting the online form.
geo1005 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Thank you KARFA!
Old Jan 27, 2021, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
A couple of weeks ago, the LHR-IST leg of next week's MAN-LHR-IST J ticket was cancelled.
Called AmexTravel and cancelled the entire ticket. The full refund was credited to my CC within 3 days.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
A couple of weeks ago, the LHR-IST leg of next week's MAN-LHR-IST J ticket was cancelled.
Called AmexTravel and cancelled the entire ticket. The full refund was credited to my CC within 3 days.
... which doesn’t really help when the thread is about BA refunds. But good to see Amex is just as on the ball I suppose.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Confus
... which doesn’t really help when the thread is about BA refunds.
Huh?

Old Jan 27, 2021, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Huh?
You called Amex for a refund that they they processed. BA has no involvement in the refund process for travel agents, regardless of whether the transaction is ultimately handled on their merchant record.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 12:01 am

Still waiting for a refund after applying on December 6th for a cancelled flight. Looks like I will have to bite the bullet and contact BA.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 4:37 am

I had a ACE-LHR flight cancelled, 3 people on the booking and paid for in euros, applied for a refund on Friday 14th. Tickets were paid for first and then POUG added at 109euros per person. Over night I received two payments 109Euros so am still owned for the actual tickets and 1 POUG, is it normal for refunds to be spread? how long should I leave it before I ring and chase the remainder of the refund? thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.