Wiki Posts
Search

BA2780 - Funchal - 17 March 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum,
BA2780 - Funchal - 17 March 2020

This flight was booked in July 2019 and according to FCO travel advice is currently tagged as "essential travel only". I have tried to contact the BAEC without any success (keep getting cut off). My question is thus; how do I cancel and get a refund or do I need
to go via my travel insurance?

Thank you in advance.
JennyJones likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pureguilt
This flight was booked in July 2019 and according to FCO travel advice is currently tagged as "essential travel only". I have tried to contact the BAEC without any success (keep getting cut off). My question is thus; how do I cancel and get a refund or do I need
to go via my travel insurance?

Thank you in advance.
flight due to operate you can cancel as per terms of your booking and lose cancellation fees or you can fill in the book with confidence on ba website to claim voucher for future travel within 1 year for value of your flights
The voucher can be claimed up to 1 hour before flight departure.

If your flight is cancelled you can then get full cash refund
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum,
Yes, I understand this. However, a holiday is not essential travel. In short BA is deffering potential mass refunds in the hope that matters will improve? How confident are we that IAG will survive the global downturn in air travel?

Think the best option is via travel insurance.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Yes, I understand this. However, a holiday is not essential travel. In short BA is deffering potential mass refunds in the hope that matters will improve? How confident are we that IAG will survive the global downturn in air travel?

Your travel insurance will expect you to minimise your losses by recovering as much value from the suppliers you contracted with. And remember there will be an excess you need to pay for most claims.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:14 pm

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Slightly OT, but my parents were flying to Madeira tomorrow with Jet2. Their flight got canned last night, with full refund coming. GIven the Portuguese and/or Madeira statements, I don't see how the BA flight on 17th will depart.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You should read your insurance policy carefully. A rebookable credit is not a refund and is worth markedly less than a refund (which is why carriers offer vouchers, credits and the like, often at a premium over cash). It may well be the case that you need not accept the credit in place of a refund. But, the only way to tell is to review the document carefully.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum

If IAG (who are sitting on a pile of cash much larger than the majority of other airline groups around the world) goes down, I think you'll find that being in possession of a then worthless voucher will be the least of your problems
TraumaDoc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.