Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
BA rebooking to QR as post 1225 in "BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice" thread

BA have released a guideline for rebooking cancelled services onto QR services that are still operating:
Published today (30-Mar-2020) at 5:26pm
Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA flight is now CANCELLED
Rebook onto: Qatar Airways
Routes/Airports affected: Any cancelled British Airways service where QR also operate the route via DOH, e.g. SYD-LHR rebook onto SYD-DOH-LHR
Tickets issued by: 28 March 2020
Ticket travel dates: 29 March – 30 June 2020
New travel dates: Up to and including 30 June 2020
<snip>
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

BA16 SYD-SIN-LHR May be others
24 March Tuesday
BA16 did not allow LHR passengers to board, due to Singapore no transit rule enacted 23:59 23-03-2020
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

25 March Wednesday
BA16 did not allow passengers to board. Flight delayed 24 hrs
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

Navylad_freind x 3

26 March Thursday
BA16 SIN transit exemption granted late 25/03/20 as post 664
2 flights scheduled BA16D 16:30 & BA16 18:30 Both left late
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77
I Claudius
I Claudius_+1
Navylad_freind x 3

27 March Friday
Sanjenni_daughter ADL-SYD-SIN-LHR-GLA

28 March Saturday
?

29 March Sunday
WesSnipes MEL-SYD-SIN-LHR
flyo MEL-SYD, SYD-SIN-LHR
cahillpm SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB
cahillpm_+1 SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB

30 March Monday
?

31 March Tuesday
Wayne Kisbee ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR
Wayne Kisbee_+1 ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR

to

9 April Thursday
Last flight BA to LHR as post 866 and 902
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

Print Wikipost

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Not sure if it impacts anyone here but the Australian govt has also announced a total ban on Australians travelling overseas. This is either in effect already or from 2359 25/3...not sure on that.

It's not clear to me how this affects e.g. dual Australian / UK citizens or Australian permanent residents.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
The seat plan for BA15 departing LHR today went from rather full to basically empty in the past hour or so. It would seem that there is still no change on pax going to SYD via SIN.
Mwenenzi, wrp96 and Richardc77 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
If QF sending 380 via DRW, why aren’t BA trying to ship pax that way on that aircraft instead of creating mini crisis in SYD which could take weeks to resolve
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:24 pm

My understanding is that there is sterile transit through YVR only for Canada>US and US>Canada transits. https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/nav...ssenger-guides

Selecting 'arriving from another country' and 'Air NZ' produces a flowchart that requires passengers to present at CBSA and clear the border.

It may be that Canada, while still requiring such passengers to present at CBSA and clear the border, are treating passengers with immediate onward connections as 'transit passengers' and thus allowing them to clear the Canadian border for the sole purpose of catching their next flight.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
If QF sending 380 via DRW, why aren’t BA trying to ship pax that way on that aircraft instead of creating mini crisis in SYD which could take weeks to resolve
Probably QF1 SYD-DRW-LHR full/over sold. Any spare seat will get sold in minutes

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Not sure if it impacts anyone here but the Australian govt has also announced a total ban on Australians travelling overseas. This is either in effect already or from 2359 25/3...not sure on that.

It's not clear to me how this affects e.g. dual Australian / UK citizens or Australian permanent residents.
As a dual citizen that is something I will be investigating. But only have 1 current passport: the other has expired
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
QF must have a spare 380 lying around by now that BA could charter? Or are they waiting to get enough pax stranded for the government to do a repatriation flight? This whole situation is a complete dog’s dinner
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba

From personal experience you cannot leave Australia on a UK passport if you have an Australian passport and you will be denied boarding until they call up immigration and clear you. This is going to be a nightmare.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
QF must have a spare 380 lying around by now that BA could charter? Or are they waiting to get enough pax stranded for the government to do a repatriation flight? This whole situation is a complete dog’s dinner
Commercial considerations will be in play for all airlines worldwide. Airlines are bleeding cash. They are not a charity or a free (expensive) solution to problems caused by (other) governments
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

We’ll be off the the airport in 3 hrs so will report back, if todays pax don’t go (assuming there is no Singapore permission), then I expect temperatures to rise.

My issue is the Avios team could offer no help (no ticket change) unless advisory was issued prior to flight. But were told as soon as that happens we can rebook you. Now of course it’s only the airport who can re book you. Companion vouchers have been great for us, but perhaps now we can see they come with an * (please read the very small print).

According to the Avios guy, BA Help desk is awash with chat about BA15/16, one solution is KL apparently, but would imagine only if Singapore permission not granted.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good luck, but based on post 632 do not like your chances
wrp96 and wilsnunn like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Agreed, I would say there is 99.9% no chance of boarding today, but we’ll have to go to the airport because that is our only way of finding out...

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Good luck, but based on post 632 do not like your chances

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 24, 2020 at 8:57 pm Reason: Broken quote
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:49 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by Richardc77
According to the Avios guy, BA Help desk is awash with chat about BA15/16, one solution is KL apparently, but would imagine only if Singapore permission not granted.
The longer they dither over this, the greater the chances of Malaysia removing that option too.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
A number of OT posts have been deleted.

Could we please request you to stick to the topic, in consideration of those who are seeking relevant information from this thread? Arguing about dual nationality etc. is not relevant to this thread.

Please refrain from posting on threads from people seeking help, advice or suggestions f you don't have anything useful and relevant to say about the topic at hand.

Thank you

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Mwenenzi and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 24, 2020 at 8:58 pm
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Richardc77
Apart from the Sky news link do we have actual BA conf of the special transit deal in Singapore?

Will the avios line help get us onto a flight or is the only option breaking self isolation each day to queue up to get onto the likely few remaining seats each future daily flight might have? I expect it will take many days if so to get all several hundred pax from the 24th sorted.
Published from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office earlier today, not many other details unfortunately.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...-people-abroad
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants
OT I suppose but, A380 in Darwin last night (discussed a little up thread due to changes to Singapore transit)

OT under current circumstance but I thought going via DRW is ingenious - not at the mercy of flippant third country rules. And how gorgeous the big bird looks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.