Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Jet2 flights to Spain turning back, is BA also affected?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet2 flights to Spain turning back, is BA also affected?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:17 am

FCO advising against all non essential travel to Madrid and La Rioja región.
And Spain has declared state of emergency.
Yet BA flights still available to Madrid.
We're booked LCY to AGP Sunday.
Waiting for BA to cancel and then hopefully I can claim for accommodation costs from insurance.
All sounds horrendous there with restaurants closed, panic buying in shops.
Just like here!!
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:20 am

I live on Fuerteventura, we currently have no cases here. We did have 1 but they were given the all clear yesterday after self isolating on return from Italy.

In terms of everyday life it is pretty much business as usual here. The schools were closed yesterday for 14 days but this seems to be to fall in line with the rest of the mainland. Otherwise, the sun is shining and supermarkets are well stocked. Everything is currently still open in tourist resorts.

It will be interesting to see how Ryanair and EasyJet respond.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:24 am

Aerodromes:

GCXO (Tenerife North), GCLP (Gran Canaria), GCTS (Tenerife South)
High delays for arrival traffic due to COVID-19 reduced staffing throughout the day.
NM are advised any capacity increase is not possible due to the current situation.

Airspace:

GCCC (Canaries),
LECB (Barcelona),
LECM (Madrid),
LECP (Palma) and
LECS (Sevilla)
High delays throughout the day in several sectors due to COVID-19 reduced staffing.
NM are advised any capacity increase is not possible due to the current situation,
RRP's will be offered where available.

NMOC Brussels

jet2’s hand is forced here somewhat. As other ATC units loose staff to stay at home orders or illness European aviation will shut down in totality. I am willing to guess military ATC will take up enough slack to keep airspace open, but it will be to do just that, keep it open, not handle standard daily capacity.

looks like we are all totally stuffed in the airline industry.
wrp96, Oaxaca, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:28 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, Accor Gold, Amex Plat
Was supposed to be going to see my parents in Fue end of the month.

Will be interesting to see what Jet2 do in terms of refunds / rearrangements. Ryanair are already letting you change any flights without paying the fee to do it.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by spaninan
FCO advising against all non essential travel to Madrid and La Rioja región.
And Spain has declared state of emergency.
Yet BA flights still available to Madrid.
We're booked LCY to AGP Sunday.
Waiting for BA to cancel and then hopefully I can claim for accommodation costs from insurance.
All sounds horrendous there with restaurants closed, panic buying in shops.
Just like here!!
I was due to go to Madrid yesterday for a weekend break, but cancelled on Thursday and only got taxes back. Not worried about the cash as it was minimal because I reduced cost with avios. Normally I would lose them as well, but I wonder if I might get them back now circumstances have changed.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:41 am

Does anyone have confirmation that they are sending planes out empty to bring people home? My parents are booked on an Easyjet flight home tomorrow and I am desperately worried whether they will get home.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by steve76
Does anyone have confirmation that they are sending planes out empty to bring people home? My parents are booked on an Easyjet flight home tomorrow and I am desperately worried whether they will get home.
Jet2 seems to have made this decision on their own so far. Too early to say whether other airlines will follow. Unfortunately nothing you can do but wait and see.

I do feel there’s a lot of misinformation regarding an apparent ‘lockdown’ in Spain. I could travel from Fuerteventura to Barcelona or Madrid today if I wanted to. You would expect travel across Spain itself and between the islands to be stopped first but that is not yet the case.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Several Jet2 aircraft positioning at present to various Spanish airports to operate their return legs to the UK.

Jet2 are carry significant amounts of Jet2 Holidays business, their package holiday arm, and clearly are trying to avoid having package customers stranded / quarantined downroute so aren’t bringing any more out.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:51 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
My parents are using Jet2 on Monday to Madeira. Watching with interest.....
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Aerodromes:

GCXO (Tenerife North), GCLP (Gran Canaria), GCTS (Tenerife South)
High delays for arrival traffic due to COVID-19 reduced staffing throughout the day.
NM are advised any capacity increase is not possible due to the current situation.

Airspace:

GCCC (Canaries),
LECB (Barcelona),
LECM (Madrid),
LECP (Palma) and
LECS (Sevilla)
High delays throughout the day in several sectors due to COVID-19 reduced staffing.
NM are advised any capacity increase is not possible due to the current situation,
RRP's will be offered where available.

NMOC Brussels

jet2’s hand is forced here somewhat. As other ATC units loose staff to stay at home orders or illness European aviation will shut down in totality. I am willing to guess military ATC will take up enough slack to keep airspace open, but it will be to do just that, keep it open, not handle standard daily capacity.

looks like we are all totally stuffed in the airline industry.
.....and that’s before you consider that Mil ATC will also be affected in the by the virus, as will airfield ops, fire services and maintenance staff etc.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:56 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Originally Posted by rapidex
Jet2 now has 7 flights enroute to Spain turning back and returning to base. Is BA affected by this?
Out of interest, how are you seeing this? I have Silver on FR if that helps, but I can't seem to get the filtering working.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
.....and that’s before you consider that Mil ATC will also be affected in the by the virus, as will airfield ops, fire services and maintenance staff etc.

very true!
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by ajdj
Jet2 seems to have made this decision on their own so far. Too early to say whether other airlines will follow. Unfortunately nothing you can do but wait and see.

I do feel there’s a lot of misinformation regarding an apparent ‘lockdown’ in Spain. I could travel from Fuerteventura to Barcelona or Madrid today if I wanted to. You would expect travel across Spain itself and between the islands to be stopped first but that is not yet the case.
Supposed to be going to Gran Canaria on 28th March, waiting to hear about BA.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by steve170461
There goes our 3 months in Spain starting 1st April!!
We were supposed to be there on the 4th. Have you heard anything about the other airline carriers? I'm hoping that they cancel them at this point since everything is closed there anyway. I read that even the beaches & restaurants are closed.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
We were supposed to be there on the 4th. Have you heard anything about the other airline carriers? I'm hoping that they cancel them at this point since everything is closed there anyway. I read that even the beaches & restaurants are closed.
Even if BA keep flying there unless FCO says don't travel there insurance won't pay out for separately booked accommodation like I've got, no fun if everything is closed down. Tricky decisions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.