Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

US Ban: BA flight Canx/Rebook Info & Help ONLY *No general discussion/speculation*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tobias-UK
Currently, there are two relevant official releases. I am posting the links and some extracted text for your reference, but please ensure that you refer to the latest information, rather than relying on the information below.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/...l-proclamation
https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...l-coronavirus/

The UK and Ireland are now affected by this ban. Non-Schengen countries in the EU are: Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Romania.

Copied from the documents linked above:
Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.

Effective Date. This proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020. This proclamation does not apply to persons aboard a flight scheduled to arrive in the United States that departed prior to 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020.
Termination. This proclamation shall remain in effect until terminated by the President.

Print Wikipost

US Ban: BA flight Canx/Rebook Info & Help ONLY *No general discussion/speculation*

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:31 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
So I had BA on line and was told they can't refund me (JFK-LHR-MAD today, MAD-LHR-JFK next week, eu citizen) but they can put the flights on hold and I can decide later when I want to go. Generous, rly.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:34 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
The most sensible approach for BA to take is that taken by KLM AF Qatar Lufthansa etc already which is to allow flexibility free of charge / vouchers etc for all flights , instead of offering a piecemeal approach
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:38 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
This ban regards travel history not citizenship, also it apparently only covers the next 30 days so the end of April is theoretically out of scope.
Thanks Steve, I was hoping that this was the way it is going to be worked 👍
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:38 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by oceanscape
We are in same boat. Didn't realise about CDG forcing entry. Hope BA let us change our start point to LHR
I suspect any trip with ex-EU origin is going to raise alarm bells at US border control.
Does being in an EU airport count? Not sure that's worth the risk of potential US entry ban.
Will have to see if BA puts in a policy that makes it workable.
See CWS post above, he has more knowledge.

Last edited by mmxbreaks; Mar 12, 2020 at 2:50 am
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Skimo
I honestly think BA will have to shut down the majority of it's US operation. The pax numbers alone are going to plummet even further now as so many to N. Americaare in transit from Schengen.
Got to wonder where on earth they'll put the planes too...
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Railbob
Hi everyone, quick question, one of our party is Italian by birth and holds an Italian passport but does not reside in Italy,in fact he probably more Scottish than me LOL, now we are flying to TPA at the end of April from the U.K. ,due to his passport is there a likelihood of a refusal? Hopefully by the end of April things will have calmed down and this won’t be an issue.
So long as they have not been in banned counties 14 days prior to departure, no issue, as it's travel history not citizenship.
Assuming ESTA or relevant documents are in place anyway.
End of April not yet affected, but the ban could yet end up extended.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Hello. I'm not sure of what to do, I will be flying out of LHR to SEA on the 18th (arrived from SEA to LHR on the 6th in business, the return will/would have been my first First experience! ). Should I hope for the best and wait, or attempt to change my ticket? Any help would help appreciated.
Thanks
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:05 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by jettad
Hello. I'm not sure of what to do, I will be flying out of LHR to SEA on the 18th (arrived from SEA to LHR on the 6th in business, the return will/would have been my first First experience! ). Should I hope for the best and wait, or attempt to change my ticket? Any help would help appreciated.
Thanks
If you are on a direct flight from London to Seattle on BA (or any other US airline) you should be finde as the UK are exclued from the restriction as of now.

Edited to add: But keep an eye on the flight status. I would not worry too much about this flight, if it is BA (or a direct LHR - SEA) flight
jettad likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, SPG Gold, SLH Honoured
(post removed, missed this was a noise free thread)
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:26 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
So for those of you who can not travel because of eu citizen I was just given voucher I can use for any route, the first leg must be before 21st JAN next year. Avios I used for upgrade will be given back too. Not the best I hoped for but I take it as they like me a lot so wants to see me on board again Now...how to get home from JFK today?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 747jetter
So for those of you who can not travel because of eu citizen I was just given voucher I can use for any route, the first leg must be before 21st JAN next year. Avios I used for upgrade will be given back too.
Can you perhaps clarify what itinerary you cancelled?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:46 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I have an INV-LHR-JFK next week but I was in Sweden (via BA) at the weekend so it's a travel ban for me. Hoping BA will refund me, tried Amex Insurance to ask them, they just cut me off. Should I just hang on for BA?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by chistery
I have an INV-LHR-JFK next week but I was in Sweden (via BA) at the weekend so it's a travel ban for me. Hoping BA will refund me, tried Amex Insurance to ask them, they just cut me off. Should I just hang on for BA?
BA have not issued any guidelines yet so it may be worth waiting for those to come out before making any decisions. 747jetter's post a couple about yours indicates that there may be vouchers on offer.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chistery
Given the President's statement was just a few hours ago, it may take BA a little while to work out what to do about this, including the many people like you. Since you are not travelling until next week, I would suspect your easiest tactic is to watch this thread since it will probably have the information as soon as any other source.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Can you perhaps clarify what itinerary you cancelled?
I believe the itinerary is set out in this earlier post:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32172915-post31.html

JFK-LHR-MAD today, MAD-LHR-JFK next week, eu citizen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.