FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   US Ban: BA flight Canx/Rebook Info & Help ONLY *No general discussion/speculation* (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2012493-us-ban-ba-flight-canx-rebook-info-help-only-no-general-discussion-speculation.html)

LTN Phobia Mar 11, 2020 10:08 pm

US Ban: BA flight Canx/Rebook Info & Help ONLY *No general discussion/speculation*

This thread has been set up to provide reliable, official information and updates and seek help and advice pertaining to your BA flights that may be affected by the newly-imposed entry ban by the US government on those who have been in a Schengen country in the last 14 days.

Please make sure that this thread is kept clean and BA-specific, and focus on issues to do with US-imposed entry restrictions, so that those who come here seeking relevant help or information will be able to find it easily.

Please do not drown the relevant information with off-topic matters, rants, unhelpful or irrelevant comments, anything non-constructive or anything not specifically related to the topic at hand ("noise"), as has happened frequently in various threads. Noise will be removed rather brutally without notice because they will make it harder for people to find relevant information.

Essentially, please only post in this thread if you are posting a request for help, or reliable information that will help others. Please refrain from speculating as it may confuse people later on when the official information becomes available.

You may need to wait for a while for BA's policy to become established, bearing in mind this all happened in the middle of the night UK time. Some patience may be needed. You may also need to wait until further clarifications are made by the US government.

Just to reiterate, based on the official information that has been posted, the entry ban applies to all Schengen countries, and not the whole of Europe or the whole of the EU/EEA (in fact it includes Schengen countries that are non-EU/EEA).

As most of you would be aware, UK is not part of Schengen and the ban is not applicable to the UK. The entry ban is not applicable to US citizens and US permanent residents either. It should also be noted that the ban is not linked to the country of citizenship, but based on where you have visited in the last 14 days.

You are advised to carefully read and follow the latest official information.

Currently, there are two relevant official releases. I am posting the links and some extracted text for your reference, but please ensure that you refer to the latest information, rather than relying on the information below.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/...l-proclamation
https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...l-coronavirus/

Copied from the documents linked above:

Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.

Effective Date. This proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020. This proclamation does not apply to persons aboard a flight scheduled to arrive in the United States that departed prior to 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020.

Termination. This proclamation shall remain in effect until terminated by the President.

Edited to add: The UK and non-Schengen countries in the EU are NOT affected by this ban. Non-Schengen countries in the EU are: Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Romania. (from the Twitter post from the official White House account, as quoted in UKTravelbear's post below)

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum

LTN Phobia Mar 11, 2020 11:23 pm

Your help would be appreciated with updating the Wiki if you have information from the official source (US government and BA in this case - please do not post media reports unless verified as being true, to avoid confusing or misleading the readers).

If you have opinions on the thread/contents/title etc., please DO NOT post on the thread unless there is something clearly inappropriate that requires immediate correction. Instead, please use the RBP function on the left hand side of each post (the red triangle with an exclamation mark).

A polite request - if you are telling other people of the outcome of your rebooking/refund/rerouting request, please provide dates (at least approximate) of travel, route, outcome and the date you requested such rebooking/refund/rerouting etc., so that readers can ascertain the relevant information. For instance, anything you encountered prior to implementation of the BA commercial policy may no longer be relevant and can cause undue stress to others, so it is important to mention the date of your request.

Thank you for your cooperation.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum

UKtravelbear Mar 12, 2020 12:10 am

Screen shot from the BBC with a White House tweet that states that Ireland and a couple of other EU countries are also exempt from the ban

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3d07c3b93.jpeg

tokyonson Mar 12, 2020 12:53 am

I live in Germany and have a flight with BA from LHR-JFK on the 17th that is not refundable and I now can't take.
Will BA give me a full refund given that the flight is most likely operating and the ticket origin is not Germany?
(I booked my Germany - LHR ticket with Avios separately)

msm2000uk Mar 12, 2020 1:02 am

I've got HAM-HEL-LHR-JFK-BOS coming up.

Its an AA ticket albeit with only 1 leg on AA (JFK-BOS-JFK).

I'll be calling AA later today, but it'll be interesting to see how strict they are with rebookingn- perhaps they'll let me do HAM-HEL-LHR 14 days before, which would appear to get round the issue.

Alternatively, they let me do the transatlantic legs first, and then the rest!

M

oceanscape Mar 12, 2020 1:03 am

I am a UK citizen with an EX-Eu flight to LAX coming up next week.

It is CDG-LHR-LAX. Guess I can’t take this flight since the origin is Paris, even though I will be flying from LHR-LAX? And never leaving CDG since I’ll be flying LHR-CDG just hours before my CDG-LHR leg.

What do I do? Will BA let me drop the Paris legs?

I only booked ExEu as it was thousands of pounds cheaper.

Ldnn1 Mar 12, 2020 1:06 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 32172671)
I've got HAM-HEL-LHR-JFK-BOS coming up.

Its an AA ticket albeit with only 1 leg on AA (JFK-BOS-JFK).

I'll be calling AA later today, but it'll be interesting to see how strict they are with rebookingn- perhaps they'll let me do HAM-HEL-LHR on a different day, which would appear to get round the issue.

M

How would that get round the issue? You can’t enter the US if you’ve been to Schengen in the past 14 days.

msm2000uk Mar 12, 2020 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 32172679)
How would that get round the issue? You can’t enter the US if you’ve been to Schengen in the past 14 days.

Just updated my post to reflect that.

Current thought is whether AA could change the order of my flights, so:

LHR-JFK-BOS-JFK-LHR-HAM-HEL-LHR-HEL-HAM

M

ubiest Mar 12, 2020 1:09 am

Originally Posted by oceanscape (Post 32172673)

It is CDG-LHR-LAX. Guess I can’t take this flight since the origin is Paris, even though I will be flying from LHR-LAX? And never leaving CDG since I’ll be flying LHR-CDG just hours before my CDG-LHR leg.

wait until dhs publishes the guidelines in the upcoming 48 hours to see whether transit is included.

andymcdonnell Mar 12, 2020 1:09 am

I’m in a similar scenario. Booked a BA Hol with the balance due in 2 weeks. Based in DUB & booked CDG-LHR-LAS for April.

I know the ban will / may have expired by the time I fly, but I’ll have to pay the balance while the ban is still in place.

Any chance they’ll let me change it to DUB-LHR-LAS?

A13 Mar 12, 2020 1:10 am

So if I go to Prague on 3-5th April I wouldn’t be allowed into the US on the 10th April then..?

krispy84 Mar 12, 2020 1:12 am

You will need to wait and see what BA’s response to this is. I would hold off calling and keep checking this thread. Any BA policy updates will be posted here soon after release I’m sure. In the meantime, consider what outcome you’d actually like, refund? start your trip from LHR? reschedule?

LTN Phobia Mar 12, 2020 1:12 am

Originally Posted by A13 (Post 32172691)
So if I go to Prague on 3-5th April I wouldn’t be allowed into the US on the 10th April then..?

That is correct, unless you are a US citizen or a permanent resident.

oceanscape Mar 12, 2020 1:15 am

Originally Posted by krispy84 (Post 32172695)
You will need to wait and see what BA’s response to this is. I would hold off calling and keep checking this thread. Any BA policy updates will be posted here soon after release I’m sure. In the meantime, consider what outcome you’d actually like, refund? start your trip from LHR? reschedule?

thanks; will do. Ideally we’d avoid the Paris leg and just fly from LHR

andymcdonnell Mar 12, 2020 1:16 am

Originally Posted by krispy84 (Post 32172695)

Well as it stands I’m happy to go, either ex LHR or ex DUB

As an aside, if someone had flights booked to USA and booked them a few months back and now decided they didn’t want to go and claimed they’d been in the Schengen area last week, could they get a refund?