Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to stop BAEC Welcome packs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Recently back of a US multi-segment trip which had the outbound on BA, and the return on AA, ticketed on 125- stock using BA flight numbers - at the AA Clubs I was asked to show my physical card because while the system had my BAEC number correctly entered, for whatever reason, the status level was not showing up in whatever system the AA lounge agents have - despite the fact the status and Priority entitlements were printed clearly on the Paper BPs.

So even with supposed well-integrated partners, the ability to show a piece of plastic still seems to have some use.

Interestingly, during the same trip, also did a sector bought directly from AA and on 001- stock and the BA status showed up completely fine then. How odd.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:52 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
I’ve never paid for BoB with Avios, but I wonder how it works with the virtual card.
On my Android version the number appears both on the main "My Account" screen and on the enlarged card just under the bar code. Is the fruity version different? (That said, I've only previously used my physical card for BoB)

I seem to recall a tale from the esteemed c-w-s of this parish, whereby, if I've got the details right, the FA nearly dropped his phone upon seeing the Avios balance

And to add my own lounge data the thread, I have used my physical cards a couple of times. Once at CLT for lounge access on an AA domestic, and once - oddly - at LUX (multiple visits since have not needed it)
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Once at CLT for lounge access on an AA domestic,
Ha, another CLT lounge case. How strange!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by T8191
Ha, another CLT lounge case. How strange!
I am on my way down to CLT for a day trip from BOS so will report later if any changes!
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I renewed my Gold membership on 9 January. I did receive a welcome email some five days into my new membership year, but there has been no appearance of a golden envelope through my letterbox.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Although I do occasionally come across a location that requires the physical card to be presented
The only place where this happened to me was GF LHR T5.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA gold, HHonors diamond, IHG rewards gold
I have literally just made gold and went online to request a card/tags on principle! But it did look like it might already have sent me some as there was an active order in the system from yesterday.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
How about adding Apple Wallet support for the card instead of having to open it up in the app? Plenty of other companies offer a wallet based card alongside their app (Hilton, KLM, Priority Pass, Starbucks Costa).
BorisBrownBear, wilsnunn and MNMAA like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
How about adding Apple Wallet support for the card instead of having to open it up in the app? Plenty of other companies offer a wallet based card alongside their app (Hilton, KLM, Priority Pass, Starbucks Costa).
Please forgive me, but I do have to point out that there are thousands of people (including us!) whose existence isn’nt based on Smartphones. Call me dinosaur Jersiensis if you will, but until smartphones become mandatory by Law, and are issued at birth, there is NO WAY I am spending c.£30/month for something I do not need in my daily life. 👎
henry999, HilFly, sentosa and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Please forgive me, but I do have to point out that there are thousands of people (including us!) whose existence isn’nt based on Smartphones. Call me dinosaur Jersiensis if you will, but until smartphones become mandatory by Law, and are issued at birth, there is NO WAY I am spending c.£30/month for something I do not need in my daily life. 👎
You sound very threatened about this but worry not! My point was that for us many app users, we would benefit from having a digital card hosted in the Apple Wallet as this is easier to access.
Speedbird676, T8191 and James91 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
I renewed my Gold membership on 9 January. I did receive a welcome email some five days into my new membership year, but there has been no appearance of a golden envelope through my letterbox.
I would have preferred BA to be transparent and advise that they will not be sending cards/pack out rather than have us worry that the cards/pack have gotten lost in the mail or have been nicked (not that it's of any use to anyone else).
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:24 am

Programs: BA gold, HHonors diamond, IHG rewards gold
Originally Posted by jenecho
I have literally just made gold and went online to request a card/tags on principle! But it did look like it might already have sent me some as there was an active order in the system from yesterday.
Today I have had two golden envelopes through the door, one specifying replacement luggage tags and one for replacement gold card, so these are the ones I ordered online. I assume the gold pack that was already showing was the email I got congratulating me on making gold.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
You could have really trolled tiger by using a "Sent from my iPhone" signature.

A few times in Helsinki in November, I was asked for the physical card in the Schengen lounge - and these were J flights (BA flight numbers). That was odd. The non-Schengen lounge - which is lush - had no issue with my BP.

I can appreciate the convenience of having all one's cards in one place. There's a certain sensual feeling to a real card, though, especially if it was hard-earned.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:58 am

Apart from the cost of buying a cheap old model or second-hand phone, you can pay nothing per month and use it on WiFi only. If you don't want a mobile phone that's fine, but as your sentence implied it was the cost that stopped you, there is a solution to that.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Can we clarify, are they doing away with them all together for B/S/G or are they making them on request, the later would seam more logical

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.