FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA to stop BAEC Welcome packs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2011412-ba-stop-baec-welcome-packs.html)

jay_cee87 Mar 4, 2020 12:18 am

BA to stop BAEC Welcome packs

Reading a rumour on one of the travel blogs (Turningleftforless) that BA are to stop issuing the welcome pack, Member card and Luggage tags for all tiers except GGL.

krispy84 Mar 4, 2020 12:26 am

TLFL gives internal BA rumours as the source.

darthlemsip Mar 4, 2020 12:26 am

They had already stopped issuing luggage tags, so this isn’t a surprise.

Although I do occasionally come across a location that requires the physical card to be presented

Misco60 Mar 4, 2020 12:28 am

Most of that article is taken up with the writer telling us that she is GGL and justifying the fact that she uses the GGL luggage tags. :)

Sending out welcome packs and physical cards has always seemed a bit unnecessary to me, and if BA wants to save even more money then this is probably a relatively painless way of doing so.

flatlander Mar 4, 2020 12:52 am

Some organisations, especially in cultures which place a strong emphasis on physical documentation and processes, require an actual card. Until BA can guarantee (with suitable penalties for them if the guarantee fails) that all the privileges of BAEC status will be granted without a physical card, they should not cease to issue a card.

13901 Mar 4, 2020 12:58 am

That's probably why I've been a (lowly) Bronze for three months and haven't received anything yet. To be absolutely honest I'm not concerned in the slightest. Saves paper, transportation emissions and energy. And I'm still convinced that muggers target people with bags adorned with shiny tags.

The only thing that makes me a little less happy about this is that I can see Cruzie doing is weird smile. More money in his pocket!

Flexible preferences Mar 4, 2020 1:03 am

Less waste, save the planet. Good thing imo

corporate-wage-slave Mar 4, 2020 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 32139643)
Most of that article is taken up with the writer telling us that she is GGL and justifying the fact that she uses the GGL luggage tags. :)

One logic therein deployed was that it means she has unimpeded access to the First Wing, which I find extraordinary. Unless I have a First Class Look, which those who have met me will know to be unlikely, I've never been intercepted on my way in. Maybe they stand down the heavies if they know I am in the vicinity.

gustavmahler Mar 4, 2020 2:06 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32139762)
One logic therein deployed was that it means she has unimpeded access to the First Wing, which I find extraordinary. Unless I have a First Class Look, which those who have met me will know to be unlikely, I've never been intercepted on my way in. Maybe they stand down the heavies if they know I am in the vicinity.

You know that red carpet isn't there all the time, right?

atcer28 Mar 4, 2020 2:08 am

i am pretty sure they know you by now C-W-S.!! I did once get questioned (maybe I was looking scruffy!) But since then it has been fine. To be honest I just leave the tag on my roll aboard as sometime I check it in too and I can’t be bothered to take it on and off.

YacozA Mar 4, 2020 2:11 am

Originally Posted by darthlemsip (Post 32139639)
Although I do occasionally come across a location that requires the physical card to be presented

Hugo Junkers lounge at DUS is the only reason I ever need to take my card out; but they are pretty amendment on the physical card.

corporate-wage-slave Mar 4, 2020 2:18 am

Originally Posted by YacozA (Post 32139811)
Hugo Junkers lounge at DUS is the only reason I ever need to take my card out; but they are pretty amendment on the physical card.

They let me in January with the digital card. Priority Pass' website has them down as a Digital Card location too.

DYKWIA Mar 4, 2020 2:25 am

Unless I have a First Class Look, which those who have met me will know to be unlikely, I've never been intercepted on my way in.

Indeed. My inner "Didn't Happen" alarm always goes off when I hear the "The gate agent shouted and pointed that the Y queue was that over there when she saw how I was dressed. However, I got the last laugh when I flashed my F BP in her face" type posts. :)

Confus Mar 4, 2020 2:44 am

Cards for everyone except GGL, Prem and Blue will continue to be issued, but on request only. Therefore anyone who thinks this is the worst idea ever, continue to order and receive up to your 3 per year limit. Everyone who likes the app, just use that. And let the overall numbers win.

Paren Mar 4, 2020 3:48 am

As long as one can still order them from the BAEC account then that's fine by me.

I've had requests in the past from check in staff from oneworld Alliance airlines that I show them a physical card.