Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Unexpected phone call from BA regarding missed flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:06 am
Original Poster

My partner and I were booked onto BA8497 LCY-AMS at 8am this morning. She checked in online yesterday but I didn't as we decided not to fly in the end. 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time, I received a phone call from 02076460141 asking me whether we were flying. This took me by surprise as I'm sure that BA don't phone everyone who misses a flight and I don't think they wouldn't have held the plane for me if I told them that I was running late. The flight left on time. Is there any explanation for this phone call?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No, this is not unusual, depends on location and what-not but if they were keen for slot reasons to get away on time, had one missing passenger, yes the gate agent will simply ring the number visible on the booking. It's more useful when someone may be stuck in security with all the ski travellers and they will then wait a minute or two for someone to show up. Otherwise the gate agent is just standing there, holding the flight from departing due to just one missing passenger, with the turnaround manager (dispatcher at LCY) glaring at the agent and the empty check-in area. This is particularly true of certain airports, and if you are status passenger you are more likely to be tracked down (probably because your details are more likely to be up to date). One of BA FT's legends get these calls from time to time......

Moral of the story, please if you OLCI and decide not to travel, make a quick call to offload yourself, you may get a few quid back for your troubles.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 1:34 am
Original Poster

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:12 am

One of the benefits of conformance at LHR T5 is that they know who’s in the building and therefore who not to chase. Otherwise the act of checking in is in effect telling them you want and intend to fly, so they are expecting you, so to speak, and will wait until standard close time if you’re not there. If there’s a chance you won’t be flying, it’s best not to check in for this reason. If plans change once checked in, as CWS mentioned, a quick call to get yourself offloaded is both polite and recommended.
Jimmie76 and 20Rothmans like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Moral of the story, please if you OLCI and decide not to travel, make a quick call to offload yourself, you may get a few quid back for your troubles.
Good advice as always C-W-S, what is the best number to call? Just the gold line or is there something closer to the coalface?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TheChangingMan
Good advice as always C-W-S, what is the best number to call? Just the gold line or is there something closer to the coalface?
The Gold line is fine, or if you are near a BA desk somewhere else they can also offload you. These computer things do talk to each other so even if 30 minutes to departure the message will get through to the gate.
TheChangingMan likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Amb, Hilton Diamond
I've only had this happen once; I checked in online the day before departure but then came down with tonsillitis. I didn't get a phone call but my friends on the flight overheard the cabin crew asking people if they were Mr Joeykins: the second one of them said "oh we know him, he's ill and he's not coming" they shut the doors and got underway. I made a note for future reference when they all started texting me as they were taxiing.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Confus
One of the benefits of conformance at LHR T5 is that they know who’s in the building and therefore who not to chase. Otherwise the act of checking in is in effect telling them you want and intend to fly, so they are expecting you, so to speak, and will wait until standard close time if you’re not there. If there’s a chance you won’t be flying, it’s best not to check in for this reason. If plans change once checked in, as CWS mentioned, a quick call to get yourself offloaded is both polite and recommended.
I agree it is polite and recommended BUT BA needs a more responsive phone system.Or the ability to do this sort of thing in the app.

Like another poster I didn't board two flights because of illness. I tried to phone but gave up after 5 minutes. If I could have done it easily on line I would have done but I had already checked-in.

I know I would have been offloaded one because I failed conformance at LHR but the flight back was ex-DUB where there isn't conformance or other reporting systems on where passengers are.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
If there are two of you travelling, particularly on non-refundable tickets, and one can't make the flight it is still a good idea to OLCI the non-traveller as this will 99% ensure an empty seat next to you (or two empty seats in CE). However, upon boarding at the gate you should mention that 'Miss..... in e.g. 1C has not made the flight today'. This is what I've done twice in the past and on both occasions the gate agent was extremely grateful and made a note (and I got the empty seats which I had paid for).
Old Feb 29, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I agree it is polite and recommended BUT BA needs a more responsive phone system.Or the ability to do this sort of thing in the app.

Like another poster I didn't board two flights because of illness. I tried to phone but gave up after 5 minutes. If I could have done it easily on line I would have done but I had already checked-in.

I know I would have been offloaded one because I failed conformance at LHR but the flight back was ex-DUB where there isn't conformance or other reporting systems on where passengers are.
this is the kind of thing that I find the Twitter team really useful for, a quick tweet, carry on eating your chicken soup and then when they respond they will sort it out for you without the need to wait on hold.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 11:19 pm

Is there no "cancel check-in" button in the app like some other airlines have? Seems like it would be in BA's interests to add one.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:48 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
I received this phone call last week. I missed my train to LCY and ended up arriving 20mins before departure. After passing through security, I received a phone call from a similar number who was the gate agent asking if I was still travelling. I found out to be last passenger to board the flight and the flight left on time.

I was sort of glad to receive the phone call in the end, knew I was going to make the flight having battled nerves throughout my entire journey on my way to the airport.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Make a quick call to offload yourself, you may get a few quid back for your troubles.
Definitely a feature that should be available on the app and online.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:12 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
I've been called on my mobile a few times by AA whilst in the T3 lounges when they're keen to get away early and I've been planning to leave it until T-20mins to arrive at the gate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.