Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

“Can I put your bag under the [middle CE] seat?”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC

Just on a (very delayed) departure for HAM and the usual passive-aggressive announcement for storing bags is underway.

That this rewards group 4/5 over-packers to the detriment of Uber-efficient group 1/2 packers is perhaps frustrating enough, but I’ve just heard Row 2 behind me being asked if they would mind storing their luggage under the middle seat.

Now I have - on occasion - offered the same, and of course the pax can say ‘no’. But having paid for a CE ticket, where the only discernible benefit is space, is it even reasonable to be asked?

i get that we all want to get away without loading bags, but...
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
While completely agreeing that light travellers are often penalised by having to have their bags at their feet while those that board with the kitchen sink get to keep their foot area free, I don't really see a problem with being asked to put a bag underneath the middle seat, where it inconveniences no-one.
ahmetdouas, esledo, H2L and 9 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:21 am
Original Poster

My issue is I like to have the extra seat to stretch out my legs. Whilst I take it as good luck when I’ve an empty adjacent seat in ET thanks to gold seating, in CE I have paid for it.

As I say, one can decline such a request, but it strikes me as another cheapening of the BA brand that one should even have to respond to such a request in CE. And to decline, on one level, seems churlish.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
my opinion I would rather have a bag under the middle seat than delaying departure while bags are put in the hold and the potential of missing our slot

But please, lets not blame Y PAX in group 4 and 5. Ultimately this is a consequence of squeezing more and more rows into the aircraft but no additional bin space to cater for the extra bags
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
My issue is I like to have the extra seat to stretch out my legs.
If you like to use the space under the middle seat to stretch out your legs then I guess you can put your small bag beneath the seat in front of you...
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
What's the issue with putting bags under the middle seat? I always do this with my smaller bag and it has absolutely no detrimental impact on me, and as it takes up less than half the footwell, neither does it negatively impact the person in the other CE seat. Personally I'd prefer that the crew was proactive in asking people in CE to do this then risk the flight being delayed whilst they try and find space for all the luggage. It's also annoying when CE is busy and the lockers have been filled with small bags and coats so you have to head further back to put your case up.
Crampedin13A and BABenchley like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I well recall the occasion when I was once in 1A and there was some problem getting bags into the overheads, mainly by those reluctant to use the copious space further back. This culminated in 2C getting all huffy and puffy about it and giving the sole crew member at door 1L the evil eye. This is the first and last time I offered the following: "why don't I move to (empty) seat 2A, put my bags under 2A and 2B, then you will have space?". It was like I had coveted his wife, his children and even his ox. "NO! That will NOT be necessary!".
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
One of the reasons I no longer sit in Row 1 is liking having my smaller bag under the middle seat so I can get stuff out of it.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Misco60
While completely agreeing that light travellers are often penalised by having to have their bags at their feet while those that board with the kitchen sink get to keep their foot area free, I don't really see a problem with being asked to put a bag underneath the middle seat, where it inconveniences no-one.
Except the one time the person in the row in front of me in CE spilled their drink during the flight all over the middle seat area, which then went onto my bag.

Didn’t even realize it until I picked up my bag after we had parked at the gate and my bag was drenched.

And this was coincidentally the same person that I switched seats with during boarding so that they could sit with their friend.
20Rothmans and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:55 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi

Although I've not experienced much of this issue flying with BA, the last couple of times flying with Lufthansa and Aegean in J short haul, sitting in row 2 and having my small bag in the middle seat (and not taking overhead space) very often on a full flight, the FA's will remove items from overhead to accommodate more of these so called "kitchen sink pax" and they will ask the pax in row 1 to place the bags in my under seat space (so not the middle but in front of my seat). I've protested but they would response that it is just for take off and landing - which leaves me at times speechless and other times, they do find another solution. This is one of the reason why I don't pay for Lufthansa SH business anymore as both soft and human part of the product is just bad.

Cheers!
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:35 am

BA rewards people who bring bigger bags. Just make sure your bag is too big to fit under the seat and you're safe. Personally, I don't like putting bags under the seat as the area is dirty. Having said that, if the plane is full then I admit it is the easiest solution. A bit of give and take.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:54 am
Original Poster

To respond to some of the “what’s the issue?” questions, it is simply one of choice. I personally see little value in CE as a matter of course, but one element is being able to stretch out my longish legs. If this was a 350 and one was being asked to store a bag in the J footwell I suspect this would garner a very different response.

it’s not to blame G5 as they are a product of the policy. But given CE demands a premium for space and little else, to be expected to lose that for the convenience of a HBO pax just seems a default unreasonable expectation. That’s not to say I would always particularly be bothered - on more than one occasion I’ve offered the same. But I do believe the point is valid.

On occasion I’ve heard the announcement that “Group 5 passengers will have their bags loaded in the hold”. That seems, to me, a better default...
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I'm trying to picture myself stretching my legs out under the centre seat but there's only one image that comes to mind and it ain't pretty..

Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I well recall the occasion when I was once in 1A and there was some problem getting bags into the overheads, mainly by those reluctant to use the copious space further back. This culminated in 2C getting all huffy and puffy about it and giving the sole crew member at door 1L the evil eye. This is the first and last time I offered the following: "why don't I move to (empty) seat 2A, put my bags under 2A and 2B, then you will have space?". It was like I had coveted his wife, his children and even his ox. "NO! That will NOT be necessary!".
Obviously very fond of his ox.

I don't see a huge problem with this - I'll only ever be using one footwell. But I'd never say no to more proactive policing of the kitchen sinkers - and putting your wheelie in the bin sideways should earn an automatic gate-checking too.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
my opinion I would rather have a bag under the middle seat than delaying departure while bags are put in the hold and the potential of missing our slot

But please, lets not blame Y PAX in group 4 and 5. Ultimately this is a consequence of squeezing more and more rows into the aircraft but no additional bin space to cater for the extra bags

and charging to check bags in while not really offering any kind of discount to Y passengers. Bins got full when they started taking away the 2 bags for free (which was in the mid 2000s i believe?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.