Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

24 people in CE; 8 bottles of champers loaded...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24 people in CE; 8 bottles of champers loaded...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shefgab
...Unfortunately you hit a day when there were a lot of champagne drinkers. There's no way BA would know this...
If you don’t ask, you don’t know. Why don’t they ask expected CE passengers?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Just so you know, the bars are catered to the same standard on all flights. It's just not practical to loads bars tailored to each flight, especially as the demand for each product varies dramatically from day to day.

Unfortunately you hit a day when there were a lot of champagne drinkers. There's no way BA would know this. I'm also sure there was still a wide variety of other drinks available for you to choose from so you didn't have to have a sober flight.

Interestingly, on longhaul flights with pre flight champagne, the vast majority of those that partake on the ground do not drink it once airborne when the full variety of drinks is available.
No, I hit a day when there were a lot of CE flyers which BA absolutely did know. How can it possibly be logical to load the same amount for a cabin of 24 as of 3?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
The main question, which I’m sure everyone want to know, is was there plenty of tonic? Which brand ?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
The main question, which I’m sure everyone want to know, is was there plenty of tonic? Which brand ?
​​​​​​It was back to normal Schweppes on my FRA-LCY on Thursday
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Unfortunately you hit a day when there were a lot of champagne drinkers. There's no way BA would know this.
ba had no way of knowing this was valentines weekend??
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: QFF, VA, IHG
So when BA cater for "out and back" flights, if the outbound passengers are particularly thirsty, they dip into the quota for the return flight. Why not simply have half the allocation for each and share the pain, rather than penalise the returning passengers.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Was this not the case that a reasonable amount was loaded but running short on the outbound they used some of the inbound stock perhaps? Not saying it is right, and one can argue better to guarantee not to disappoint the customer in front of you vs a potential risk of disappointing a subsequent one that may not materialise.

Personally, whilst I no longer drink and haven’t done for nearly 5 years, I never understood the fascination with champagne. People seam to like it because of its expense (not that the stuff BA (or indeed as I’m this case BACF serve on CE is particularly expensive). No doubt some will disagree and I won’t judge,,just sharing an opinion.

Glad you manage to get a bottle OP for the short flight.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by aristoph
No, I hit a day when there were a lot of CE flyers which BA absolutely did know. How can it possibly be logical to load the same amount for a cabin of 24 as of 3?
Quite. Surely the bar stocks are different depending on the flight length and passenger loads?

Also as an aside, I thought that champagne was served from full sized bottles on this route, or is it different on Cityflyer?
aristoph likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
I misread the title and thought the issue was there were 24 bottles for 8 passengers
I agree that 1 bottle between 3 is very suboptimal, and not in keeping with the premium cabin product as marketed
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by so3003
I misread the title and thought the issue was there were 24 bottles for 8 passengers
That's more like it!

Originally Posted by navylad
Personally, whilst I no longer drink and haven’t done for nearly 5 years, I never understood the fascination with champagne. People seam to like it because of its expense (not that the stuff BA (or indeed as I’m this case BACF serve on CE is particularly expensive). No doubt some will disagree and I won’t judge,,just sharing an opinion.

Glad you manage to get a bottle OP for the short flight.
I find that sometimes champagne can hit a spot no other drink can quite manage, it elevates and teases me And a good match for when I'm going on vacation. Nice to see it was on free pour at the Gatters club lounge last week.

8 small bottles does seem a little on the light side for 24 passengers.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BERbound
​​​​​​It was back to normal Schweppes on my FRA-LCY on Thursday
yup, Coca Cola’s finest when we switched back to G&T due to the lack of champagne.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:59 pm

BA's sales page for Business states:

Complimentary bar service including champagne upon request

So if no champers, then perhaps a request for some combo would not be amiss.

Yes, 8 small bottles for 24 passengers seems a little on the short side. Did the crew make an effort to "downsell" - i.e. Would sir/madam like a G&T, and not offer champagne unless "upon request" so as to eke the stock out?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flygod
BA's sales page for Business states:

Complimentary bar service including champagne upon request

So if no champers, then perhaps a request for some combo would not be amiss.

Yes, 8 small bottles for 24 passengers seems a little on the short side. Did the crew make an effort to "downsell" - i.e. Would sir/madam like a G&T, and not offer champagne unless "upon request" so as to eke the stock out?
They just asked what people would like to drink. Not surprisingly, many people wanted champagne as the flight was full of couples returning from a romantic Valentines weekend in Prague. But the shock to me is that BA load the same bar for a cabin of 3 as for 24. That is completely illogical and asking for trouble.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by aristoph
Maybe not 100% logical, but it's 100% practical. There's a standard bar loading, so every flight will go out with 10 gin, 7 vodka etc. Can you imagine the logistical complexity of forecasting what everyone wants to drink on every flight? it's hard enough to for everyone to get their choice of one or two meals, let alone the 50 (? No idea) drinks options/combos.

Adding to the complexity of that every item has a known weight, and so knowing in advance how much each trolley and canister weigh is very important to correctly and safely balancing the aircraft.

The result of this is that if you're the only passenger in a cabin, you know you can have everything (within reason) from the bar. You'd be pretty annoyed if you were booked in an empty cabin and they'd loaded one gin, one lager, and one champagne as that's what the computer profile said you'd likely want.

Much like food availability, it's never going to suit everyone, and from time to time, things are going to run out. It's a fact of life on a plane.

(BA do try and forecast for Buy on Board, and on known busy flights load extra of certain things, but that's a whole different ballgame)
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hiow about they make the average CE ticket more expensive in cash or Avios?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.