Wiki Posts
Search

HKG Flights Cancelled or Not??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Air NZ, Qantas
HKG Flights Cancelled or Not??

I'm booked to fly to HKG on BA31, 9 April back on BA32, 19 April. These are the A380 flights that are supposedly cancelled. But they both still show as operating in "Manage My Booking" and BA said via twitter said they weren't cancelled.

However, if you try to book BA31 it now suddenly shows unavailable in WT or WT+ and only available at an extremely expensive Club fare, and BA32 doesn't show at all.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it BA currently working through their cancellations?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:11 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
What’s your source of the flights being supposedly cancelled?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Saw it on Head for Points. It may be that cancellations are currently only for March, but that's what I'm trying to find out.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:16 am

The 77W flights are cancelled (at least, that was the situation yesterday in the airport), meaning the BA31/32 rotation. The 388 rotation (BA27/28) should be operating.

Having said that, April is quite far in the future. Things might've calmed down (or gotten a lot worse).
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There has been further discussion on this, and the impacted flights, in the more recent posts in this main thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...and-china.html
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:18 am
Original Poster

That's weird as I've been booked on 31/32 for quite a while and was A380 both ways.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by air_boi
I'm booked to fly to HKG on BA31, 9 April back on BA32, 19 April. These are the A380 flights that are supposedly cancelled. But they both still show as operating in "Manage My Booking" and BA said via twitter said they weren't cancelled.

However, if you try to book BA31 it now suddenly shows unavailable in WT or WT+ and only available at an extremely expensive Club fare, and BA32 doesn't show at all.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it BA currently working through their cancellations?
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There has been further discussion on this, and the impacted flights, in the more recent posts in this main thread:
Originally Posted by air_boi
That's weird as I've been booked on 31/32 for quite a while and was A380 both ways.
I've put the current state of play into the wikipost in that thread. During April, there are many flights that have not (or not yet) been cancelled but are zeroed in all or almost all classes. That is why you are seeing what you are seeing. I expect that the situation will remain fluid.

Don't expect the aircraft allocation to remain static, either. And that's on top of the previously-scheduled position on HKG, which was that during the winter season BA27/BA28 was being operated by a 380 and BA31/BA32 by a 777, but during the summer season it's the other way around.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: CX DM, IHG G, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Silver
HK is not mainland China

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
So far, only flight to mainland of China are cancelled as far as i understand. HK, Taiwan, et al are not mainland.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by xp2000
So far, only flight to mainland of China are cancelled as far as i understand. HK, Taiwan, et al are not mainland.
Check the thread, BA are cancelling some flights to HK (for commercial reasons primarily)
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:38 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Don't expect the aircraft allocation to remain static, either. And that's on top of the previously-scheduled position on HKG, which was that during the winter season BA27/BA28 was being operated by a 380 and BA31/BA32 by a 777, but during the summer season it's the other way around.
And, for further confusion - We booked HKG-LHR a year ago (for April this year) - as BA26 on the 380. A month later that flight was apparently cancelled so we expected a move to a 777, but no, we were changed to BA28 which was actually the same 380. A month later that one was cancelled and we were 'moved' onto BA32, again still the 380.

So the 'your flight has been cancelled' emails would have been better saying 'your flight number has been changed'.

Just to add, we have cancelled that trip but I see that BA32 is still appearing as a 380 on 12 April but EF shows all classes as zero, so not sure what that is all about.

Last edited by vintagepilot; Feb 15, 2020 at 3:53 am
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Just to add, we have cancelled that trip but I see that BA32 is still appearing as a 380 on 12 April but EF shows all classes as zero, so not sure what that is all about.
All fare classes are set to zero whilst BA juggle and reassign passengers between flights. Once that is finished any remaining seats will be available for purchase but they are preventing new seats being bought whilst they protect and reassign existing bookings.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by plunet
All fare classes are set to zero whilst BA juggle and reassign passengers between flights. Once that is finished any remaining seats will be available for purchase but they are preventing new seats being bought whilst they protect and reassign existing bookings.
That makes sense, but BA is still letting me dummy book for that flight, albeit at full fare.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
And, for further confusion - We booked HKG-LHR a year ago (for April this year) - as BA26 on the 380. A month later that flight was apparently cancelled so we expected a move to a 777, but no, we were changed to BA28 which was actually the same 380. A month later that one was cancelled and we were 'moved' onto BA32, again still the 380.
That's interesting, because BA25 and BA26 have not been used for HKG since October 2015, when the BA25/BA26 rotation was renumbered as BA31/BA32: see BA25/26 LHR-HKG changing to BA31/32 from 25/10/2015

And since November 2018, BA31/BA32 has been operated by a 380 during the northern summer season (which includes all of April), but by a 777 during northern winter: see BA Hong Kong equipment changes

So if BA sold you a ticket on BA26 as recently as April 2019, I wonder whether there was a plan to add another HKG flight at that stage.

However, I don't recall any mention of BA25/BA26 reappearing in the schedules last year, so this is all very mysterious. Are you sure that BA told you that it was BA26? Did you book through a travel agent?
Originally Posted by plunet
That makes sense, but BA is still letting me dummy book for that flight, albeit at full fare.
BA32 on 12 April does not have zeroes in every booking class. Not all of those mostly-zeroed flights are zeroed in every class. There are some that have one or two seats in F, J and/or W - hence what I said above. That specific flight has F1 J2.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:26 am

I don't know how we are seeing different EF results, but this is what I see:

And yes - direct from BA as a redemption, booked on or about 24 April 2019:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.