Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA25/26 LHR-HKG changing to BA31/32 from 25/10/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

I received a notification from BA today that my BA25/26 flights in November 2015 had been cancelled and I have been rebooked on BA31/32 for the round trip.

After initial panic it turns out the dates and times are the same and its still the A380 both ways.

Strange thing is that all BA31/32 flights are showing 'Sold Out' in First from when the new flight numbers take effect from 25/10/15, even when trying to book with cash, although ExpertFlyer shows full availability in the First cabin. My booking is on an Amex Companion voucher and I was hoping to upgrade if/when 2 First award seats become available for the outbound.

I'm assuming this is just a glitch and BA.com will catch up at some point. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NorthernBA
I received a notification from BA today that my BA25/26 flights in November 2015 had been cancelled and I have been rebooked on BA31/32 for the round trip.

After initial panic it turns out the dates and times are the same and its still the A380 both ways.

Strange thing is that all BA31/32 flights are showing 'Sold Out' in First from when the new flight numbers take effect from 25/10/15, even when trying to book with cash, although ExpertFlyer shows full availability in the First cabin. My booking is on an Amex Companion voucher and I was hoping to upgrade if/when 2 First award seats become available for the outbound.

I'm assuming this is just a glitch and BA.com will catch up at some point. Any thoughts?
Might be the opposite: EF is behind.

I have seen this before.

Presumably if you tried to get a confirmed reservation it would come back as unable or cancelled instead of HK

Last edited by Calchas; Mar 24, 2015 at 3:22 pm
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
Might be the opposite: EF is behind.

I have seen this before.
Thanks for your quick response Calchas, not sure that's the case though as it seems unlikely that every flight I checked through to Jan 2016 on BA.com is showing sold out in First, even on full revenue. I'll keep checking. Either way I'm pretty happy with Club but it's just the lure of the CCR
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for your quick response Calchas, not sure that's the case though as it seems unlikely that every flight I checked through to Jan 2016 on BA.com is showing sold out in First, even on full revenue. I'll keep checking. Either way I'm pretty happy with Club but it's just the lure of the CCR
BA may have closed availability while they make changes to the schedule or the flight.

If it's zeroed out so far in advance (Jan 2016!?) this is likely the reason.

It is extremely unlikely that BA has over sold F on every flight already in January
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
The VS200/201 is changing to VS207/208 this year as well (same route), according to the v-flyer website its due to a request from ATC.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

BA may have closed availability while they make changes to the schedule or the flight.

It is extremely unlikely that BA has over sold F on every flight already in January
Exactly! MMB is giving me the option to cancel or change flights at no charge so if availability comes up I might wing it and try to upgrade without paying the £70 fee. Doubt any BA agent would buy it though given nothing has actually changed!

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
The VS200/201 is changing to VS207/208 this year as well (same route), according to the v-flyer website its due to a request from ATC.
Ah, ok cheers clarkeysntfc. I wonder why that is?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Ah, ok cheers clarkeysntfc. I wonder why that is?
One of the theories posited was that VS and CX could be confused over the radio and CX has the same flight numbers so it might just be out of an abundance of caution and trying to eliminate any possible source of errors.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I've had exactly the same thing. The only thing changing that I can spot is the flight number, the aircraft and flight times are identical. However this change did erase my seat selections, and had i lost them due to this i would have been highly disappointed. Luckily I am on the website once a week or so and so managed to catch this early.

PS when you are offered rebooking via mmb you cannot see the aircraft type. So I had to create a dummy booking in another window. When I did so this afternoon, it showed all classes as being sold out.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
One of the theories posited was that VS and CX could be confused over the radio and CX has the same flight numbers so it might just be out of an abundance of caution and trying to eliminate any possible source of errors.
Thanks UKtravelbear, so maybe the BA changes are just coincidence.....
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
That's why the BA flight numbers are changing too. 26 and 28 are so close together that everyone gets confused. Normally they'd use a different callsign on the ATC flight plan but the Chinese don't allow this.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snuffi
I've had exactly the same thing. The only thing changing that I can spot is the flight number, the aircraft and flight times are identical. However this change did erase my seat selections, and had i lost them due to this i would have been highly disappointed. Luckily I am on the website once a week or so and so managed to catch this early.

PS when you are offered rebooking via mmb you cannot see the aircraft type. So I had to create a dummy booking in another window. When I did so this afternoon, it showed all classes as being sold out.
Thanks snuffi, as I am currently Bronze, I didn't have the same issue as I haven't selected seats yet as I'm waiting to get gold in August. Cheers
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:14 pm

Yesterday I was seeing availability across a number of days in August and September on BA25, today I'm not seeing anything.

Do you think (i) award availability would be closed before the change as well as after it and (ii) when would you expect to see the availability open up again [if ever]?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
That's why the BA flight numbers are changing too. 26 and 28 are so close together that everyone gets confused.
Plus they depart very close together. I think that at the moment, they're scheduled to depart only 15 minutes apart.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DANNYB111
Do you think (i) award availability would be closed before the change as well as after it and (ii) when would you expect to see the availability open up again [if ever]?
If cash booking classes have been temporarily closed, then it's entirely plausible that award booking classes would be temporarily closed too. A simple flight number change isn't going to cause a massive shift in selling strategy. I would expect everything to be back to normal within a few days, perhaps after the flight number change has had time to propagate through all the systems.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DANNYB111
Yesterday I was seeing availability across a number of days in August and September on BA25, today I'm not seeing anything.

(i) Yes
(ii) At the same time as the revenue buckets return to sale. Which is difficult for me to guess but perhaps within the week!

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Plus they depart very close together. I think that at the moment, they're scheduled to depart only 15 minutes apart.
But this is just supply and demand. There are something like 6 London-bound widebodies departing within a couple of hours of those two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.