Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CW pricing to NY looks crazy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by jay121
I know tickets go up with short notice but this is crazy isn't it?
No. Entirely normal. Welcome to the world of business travel.

Whilst I prefer to ensure that my TATL crossings are cheaper than this (booking further out, starting from different but useful locations), my firm has paid similar rates for travel. It’s very common.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Be grateful for the corporate charges because they subsidise the £1-2k fares we can all enjoy for hols! Don’t bite the hand that feeds!
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:48 pm

This is a really interesting thread - as a manager I would not want to travel in a higher cabin than a member of my team. As a team member I would be quite irked by a manager who would happily travel in a higher cabin, despite us being in the same team.

My team members work as hard as I - why treat them any differently?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

I don't have anything against him flying business class. If I was allowed to I wouldn't fly PE although I think the policy is a bit stupid because it's not like loads more people get t travel because of the premium economy policy.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Avallon
This is a really interesting thread - as a manager I would not want to travel in a higher cabin than a member of my team. As a team member I would be quite irked by a manager who would happily travel in a higher cabin, despite us being in the same team.

My team members work as hard as I - why treat them any differently?
I think you'd be my hero. It's been pretty common when I've travelled for work with a manager that there'd be a difference what got booked and I'd be pretty much stuck with their choice of airline not that I cared enough until recently to worry about that (yes, dumb I know); I didn't really think much as the time I was utterly treated as a second class citizen I was in CX PE anyway which I thoroughly appreciated.

These days I never even see my managers, and at some level I hope they don't fly with me: can't pull shenanigans with fares in most systems, but segments and occasionally out of the way connecting flights for miles on reimbursable travel? Please stay home boss .
Avallon likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
I'm supposed to be going on my first transatlantic business trip in March to NYC (very excited). My company has a PE travel policy for my level but my boss gets to go J was hoping to try and play the oh lets go on the same flight trick and see if travel will put us together. Anyway I was looking at flights and it looks like £500 is for pe which seems a bit cheaper than standard then I had a look at CW and it is 6k for the first and second week of march.
Crazy isn't it when I just booked a mid week CW trip (Mon-Thu) to JFK starting in TLV for the same period (2nd week of March) yesterday paying just under £2000, and that will earn me double the TPs and more Avios than that £6k fare out of LHR would

Enjoy your first biz transatlantic, and try upgrade your WTP flights with Avios, if you have any and the availability is there.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:07 am

I have found the prices to NYC in general, even in Y, are about £100 at least more than usual (i am travelling in May and am def paying more than i did in the past 5 years)
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You raise some valid points! I wasn't looking to go out of my way to ask if it's not on the cards but would be a nice bonus as I don't think I'll be going again in a hurry. I was more perplexed by the fact they're charging 6k for a flight that I've paid 1k for in the past! I guess there are a lot of businesses that will pay this. When I included a Sunday night the tickets halved so I guess that is the reason. Thanks all! Also I'll get silver on my return leg has anyone had any luck with getting into the lounge when they're going to get silver on the flight they're waiting for? Or is it not worth asking.
It's the Saturday night that does it. Also, many of the cheaper fares have minimum stay requirement of, I believe, six days. Try fiddling around with that.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by clubman
Crazy isn't it when I just booked a mid week CW trip (Mon-Thu) to JFK starting in TLV for the same period (2nd week of March) yesterday paying just under £2000, and that will earn me double the TPs and more Avios than that £6k fare out of LHR would

Enjoy your first biz transatlantic, and try upgrade your WTP flights with Avios, if you have any and the availability is there.
And funnily enough, I am out on the 02/03 and paid £5.5k for a CW trip from LHR to JFK - Monday to Thursday.
Unfortunately I didn't have time to ex-eu as I need to be somewhere else on Friday the week before and week after.
The base fares have definitely increased though.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I don't know why people say that the CW prices to NYC from LON are super expensive.

First BA is offering a direct flight ( No positioning flight, no extra security at XXX, save minimum 2h-3h compared to a connecting flight ) and even though it may seem high, there are people/companies willing to pay the 2000-4000 GBP difference to fly direct. This is the marketing strategy of almost all airlines, if I don't recall wrongly, someone was complaining in the UA forum that EWR-FRA was significantly expensive than EWR-FRA-XXX in Business Class. Also add the fact that as British Airways is the home airline of the United Kingdom, most frequent flyers decide to collect miles at oneworld partners and prefer them so it might also affect the prices.

Also, for the last case, the case of carat22 , BA is taking advantage of his situation as he doesn't have a flexible schedule or other possibilities as he wants to spend the weekend with his family so he doesn't want to leave on Sunday, etc... For his exact dates, Icelandair has a promotional Business Class offer around low 1k GBP and Aer Lingus flies for 2.3k GBP.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Captain Walker
When I've booked PE for a 6+ hour flight, I've been able to upgrade to Business for much less than the 4k, 5k and 6k crazy prices which Egencia had at the time of booking. I've done this via:
- Free upgrade 3 hours of so before boarding and done automatically (BA)
could you expand on this free upgrade policy? or point me in the right direction where the details are listed....
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:44 am
Original Poster

I assume this was an op-up done 'randomly' for operational reasons rather than something you can apply for
Captain Walker likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by windowontheAside

Am I the only one here who loves their boss? We'd have a blast travelling together.....
You are not the only one. I love travelling with my boss, and have been doing so for 32 years of marriage. My challenge is that she insists on flying business class whether I can afford if or not. If that means I have to sit in Y, too bad for me
mhy likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Any booking to NYC without a Saturday night or a min of 6 days carries a high premium it even say's so on the website when searching( although if you have a corporate TA I accept you wouldn't have seen the site). It's to protect the leisure fares from being snapped up by business users - ironically as it's their fares which allow us leisure travellers to travel at those rates especially on that route.

Even then though we put off NYE 19/20 in NYC when the J fares were £5k each for a four day jaunt with a Saturday in it! Lesson learnt though, don't look to book such things in November and snap them up in the Jan sale. NYE 20/21 was a much more reasonable price booked that way
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by ayearinmx
could you expand on this free upgrade policy? or point me in the right direction where the details are listed....
Yes. About 4 hours before boarding my seat on the BA App was 17K (WTP). Approx 1 hour later, my seat had changed to 10A (CW).

I can only put it down to:
- busy flight, especially WT
- I was on my own and would be occupying a window seat in WTP with the seat next to me showing as unoccupied on Expert Flyer right up to around 4 hours before boarding.

Perhaps they had 2 folk on standby for WT, so bumped up two WT people (a couple) to WTP and so moved me to CW to free up the row in WTP...result = two seats in WT free for standby passengers. That's my theory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.