CW pricing to NY looks crazy

Old Feb 10, 20, 6:32 am
Original Poster

CW pricing to NY looks crazy

Hi guys,

I'm supposed to be going on my first transatlantic business trip in March to NYC (very excited). My company has a PE travel policy for my level but my boss gets to go J was hoping to try and play the oh lets go on the same flight trick and see if travel will put us together. Anyway I was looking at flights and it looks like 500 is for pe which seems a bit cheaper than standard then I had a look at CW and it is 6k for the first and second week of march.

I know tickets go up with short notice but this is crazy isn't it? I went in September last year with my gf and we spent 1k each in the sale I would've though 2-3k would be normal. All other OW airlines seems to be same as well as KLM air france etc am I missing something?
Captain Walker likes this.
Old Feb 10, 20, 6:37 am

Programs: BA GGL (ex-CCR, future silver), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jay121 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm supposed to be going on my first transatlantic business trip in March to NYC (very excited). My company has a PE travel policy for my level but my boss gets to go J was hoping to try and play the oh lets go on the same flight trick and see if travel will put us together. Anyway I was looking at flights and it looks like 500 is for pe which seems a bit cheaper than standard then I had a look at CW and it is 6k for the first and second week of march.

I know tickets go up with short notice but this is crazy isn't it? I went in September last year with my gf and we spent 1k each in the sale I would've though 2-3k would be normal. All other OW airlines seems to be same as well as KLM air france etc am I missing something?
No. BA has a lot of corporate deals to fill the planes at somewhat sensible fares, enough customers in London who will pay the money to justify the extra for a non-stop flight, and enough customers outside the UK or willing to book over a weekend to fill the rest of the plane at normal fares. And if the non-stop fares without a Saturday night were cheaper, there'd be no need to negotiate those corporate deals.

Of course if you find you can overnight in Prague, Oslo or Dublin, or even travel on a weekend with a stopover - you may also find that those flexible fares drop by about 2/3.
Old Feb 10, 20, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I know tickets go up with short notice but this is crazy isn't it?
It looks like you're not staying a Saturday night, so this is probably entirely normal. That's underlined by the fact that other airlines are asking for the same.

It looks like there are plenty of I class (cheapest business class booking class) seats around then, so this is not a case of prices going up closer to the flight because cheaper inventory has all been sold or withdrawn. Of course, there are no sale fares, so you can't expect sale pricing.
Old Feb 10, 20, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Just go PE and don't rock the boat or try to game things, I'd say. It's OK for a shortish east coast flight. You could probably find a deal, but it may be more interesting to chat to your boss in the lounge (assuming they have status) or the bar about the great deal you had last September.

Not too shabby to get PE either, my formal policy is Y for everything, but I can usually swing PE for over 9 hours on health grounds. 180 free tps and some Avios, and I'd rather sit on my own than spend 7 hours with a boss.
loosehead, acucobol, hp12c and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 20, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
why do you want to sit next to your boss anyway... its a short flight.. enjoy your PE seat
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:07 am

Can't think of anything worse than being stuck for 7 hours on a TATL crossing with my boss. I'd rather sit in Y.
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:34 am
Original Poster

You raise some valid points! I wasn't looking to go out of my way to ask if it's not on the cards but would be a nice bonus as I don't think I'll be going again in a hurry. I was more perplexed by the fact they're charging 6k for a flight that I've paid 1k for in the past! I guess there are a lot of businesses that will pay this. When I included a Sunday night the tickets halved so I guess that is the reason. Thanks all! Also I'll get silver on my return leg has anyone had any luck with getting into the lounge when they're going to get silver on the flight they're waiting for? Or is it not worth asking.
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:41 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
I noticed this, albeit in the context of First. BA certainly seemed to have changed their approach to pricing F & J to NYC later this year...
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks all! Also I'll get silver on my return leg has anyone had any luck with getting into the lounge when they're going to get silver on the flight they're waiting for? Or is it not worth asking.
If you are departing LHR or LGW and the App shows you close to Silver then yes at the BA lounges they may let you in if it's quiet and you show the screen. You can't rely on it. There are non BA lounges instead, and if this is a kind of landmark flight for you I'd be tempted to pay for Plaza (but not Aspire) as your final spin without lounge access.
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Hi guys,

Our corporate TA frequently obtains "bespoke" fares from BA and other airlines which can be very different to the "Google Flights" price, i.e. the public fares. They are often no different but it's worth asking your TA or travel department for a quote for the flight in question, then argue with your travel approver later.
Captain Walker and youngfogey like this.

Last edited by St Elmos Fire; Feb 10, 20 at 10:08 am
Old Feb 10, 20, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
I would second that it's not worth using your goodwill with your boss to get business on this route. Especially for day flights (which can be both ways on this route if you like) PE is a perfectly comfortable way to spend 7 hours and the food is not much different. If you are taking a night flight back keep an eye out for Avios upgrades, WT to CW for a night flight is one of the best uses of miles out there.

(I'd also join the club of people who would rather sit at the very back than spend 7 hours next to my boss, and frankly if one of my employees suggested it my EA would be tasked with making sure it didn't happen!)
Captain Walker and hp12c like this.
Old Feb 10, 20, 10:12 am

I really don't think any competent travel department would book two J tickets against travel policy just because two people choose the same flight.

Am I the only one here who loves their boss? We'd have a blast travelling together, but sadly that doesn't happen. Although I do understand the reaction and wouldn't choose to travel with many of my colleagues.
The doomed likes this.
Old Feb 10, 20, 10:14 am

Contrary to the attitude of most of you, I would certainly prefer CW with my boss over PE without. However, I do agree that it's probably not worth sacrificing potential goodwill. The London to New York route is quite a short flight time, and to me it wouldn't be worth it for the relatively short trans Atlantic crossings.
Old Feb 10, 20, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
I really don't think any competent travel department would book two J tickets against travel policy just because two people choose the same flight.

Am I the only one here who loves their boss? We'd have a blast travelling together, but sadly that doesn't happen. Although I do understand the reaction and wouldn't choose to travel with many of my colleagues.
Actually I get on very well with my boss, but when travelling for business the time on the plane is my time, I wouldn't want anyone talking to me even if I get on well with them. Luckily all the colleagues I ever travel with understand this perfectly, plenty of talk etc in the taxi and lounge but we leave each other alone on the flights.
The doomed likes this.
Old Feb 10, 20, 11:11 am

Hi guys,

Where I work, we use Egencia and the policy for all under the rank of Senior Partner (law firm) is:

Under 6 hours = Economy
Over 6 hours = Premium Economy

So far I've been able to upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy at check-in and for an overall cost that was much cheaper than what Egencia offered for PE at time of booking.

When I've booked PE for a 6+ hour flight, I've been able to upgrade to Business for much less than the 4k, 5k and 6k crazy prices which Egencia had at the time of booking. I've done this via:
- bid for business (so far only with Cathay)
- Use Avios + 50 quid or so (BA)
- Free upgrade 3 hours of so before boarding and done automatically (BA)

So have no fear. Book PE and try to upgrade via the BA App (might say no because the travel agent has control of the booking), call BA at T24 and if that doesn't work then try your luck at check-in.

Either way, get PE booked PDQ. PE is either your fall-back or your launchpad so get it booked and choose a window seat...lol
Scallywag72 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: