Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pointless Communication from BA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LCY8737
I see BA apologisms is in full swing again. I'm off back to the real world.

Have a nice weekend everyone.
In the 'real' world you would have accepted the original email from BA at face value and not started this thread
Stormbel likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by babats
So why didn't you practice what you preach and not post this?
If everyone did that this board would be like many others, the place where posts go to die lonely and unread. OP doesn't like the email, some others do. Discussion follows, probably no one changes their mind, but no harm is done.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Speaking of pointless communication, the one that niggles me is the text you get almost instantly after checking in for your flight. It is titled something like "how did we do?" - it irritates me because I book an airline primarily so it can transport me from A to B. Yet they ask for my feedback before i've even seen the plane, let alone fly anywhere!
lhrsfo and Stormbel like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

This email is just noise: The flight may be delayed, or it may not. The French may be to blame, or the fog. Or there may be nothing to blame anybody for. Do show up at the airport as if we had never sent the email in the first place. There is zero actionable content in this email.

As my old boss used to say: if you have nothing to say, keep your mouth shut.
I think the e-mail is just a heads up for people and more of an awareness than anything else.

For some perhaps, some flyertalkers no doubt and alluded to in the post by Globaliser , they can consider/make alternative arrangements such as a 'Plan B' just in case? I don't really get the Boss analogy as were talking about BA customers here. No harm done by BA in my view.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
I see BA apologisms is in full swing again. I'm off back to the real world.

Have a nice weekend everyone.
I think the issue here is that you're tilting at windmills and hoping everyone will pat you on the back and agree. That people don't agree with you doesn't make them apologists for BA.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
More customer-focused airlines would put a waiver in place to allow people to re-book or cancel without penalty - thus permitting BA to cancel some services and reduce the overall load. But then that would be caring about your customers. I agree with the OP, apart from a general heads up that the chances for delay are higher than usual, there was little point to this badly thought out and written communication.
mario likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Just received the following email from BA. Subject: "Important information about your BAXXXX flight". So basically they don't know what is going to happen and don't expect me to do anything. So what's the point in emailing me, especially with a subject that indicates it is urgent?We would like to share some important information with you about your flight.

Due to adverse weather conditions and planned industrial action by French Air Traffic Control, which is expected to affect flights in and around French airspace, we are expecting disruption to our domestic and European flying programme. As such, your flight may be subject to a delay. Please be assured that our teams will be working to minimise any disruption to our services, and we would like to apologise in advance if your journey is affected.

As we will be working to achieve an on-time departure, please arrive at the airport in time for your flights scheduled departure time and monitor the airport information screens or ba.com/travel/flightstatus for the latest information on your flight.

If you have an onward connection as part of a through ticketed journey and are at risk of missing your next flight, please be assured our teams will be looking to rebook you on the next available service.

Thank you for your patience and understanding, we look forward to welcoming you on board.

British Airways Customer Service
I suspect the subtext is actually "please don't ring the BA call centre and ask about the effects of the fog or the strike because this is the only information we have; please just arrive for your flight as normal". This seems better than the call centre lines being overloaded when folks read about both in some tabloid rag as "AIR CHAOS !!!!1!".

I agree the tone could be better. "We want to reassure you that we're doing all we can to keep your flight departing on time, so please come to the airport at the normal time. If things change we'll tell you" or something might have been better.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador

Now this was a pointless text message...received approx 40 mins after landing in London on the re-timed flight!

The OPs email I would have found useful as it manages expectations and is also code for dont ring us to ask about possible delays if you hear about the strike - we know about it. If you misconnect we will sort it - dont contact us. It hopefully keeps lines freed up for actual change queries rather than lots of speculative calls. Id rather have more info than less and to under promise & over deliver!
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by richardwft
Theyre placating in case of a delay over 3 hours and compensation claims.
If it's weather or ATC there won't be any claims...
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just received the following email from BA. Subject: "Important information about your BAXXXX flight". So basically they don't know what is going to happen and don't expect me to do anything. So what's the point in emailing me, especially with a subject that indicates it is urgent?We would like to share some important information with you about your flight.

Due to adverse weather conditions and planned industrial action by French Air Traffic Control, which is expected to affect flights in and around French airspace, we are expecting disruption to our domestic and European flying programme. As such, your flight may be subject to a delay. Please be assured that our teams will be working to minimise any disruption to our services, and we would like to apologise in advance if your journey is affected.

As we will be working to achieve an on-time departure, please arrive at the airport in time for your flights scheduled departure time and monitor the airport information screens or ba.com/travel/flightstatus for the latest information on your flight.

If you have an onward connection as part of a through ticketed journey and are at risk of missing your next flight, please be assured our teams will be looking to rebook you on the next available service.

Thank you for your patience and understanding, we look forward to welcoming you on board.

British Airways Customer Service
Quite the contrary,

If I were affected, I would want to know as far in advance as possible of possible impacts to scheduling. If I had an important meeting scheduled, I might change its timing or perhaps adjust other aspects of a trip as a matter of risk management. At a minimum, I would do more to alert others of potential en route difficulties.

Wholly incorrect to suggest that the communication is "pointless". Rather, it may be "pointless" for you. But, you are not everyone.

Perhaps merge this with the threads whinging that "BA must have known of this for days, but it didn't tell me until...." No good deed....
argonath and TTmex like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Its extremely useful because it sets passengers expectations. If there was a delay and they hadnt sent the email then youd have hundreds of people at check in saying the same line And you thought you leave it until now to tell me???
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by roberino
Its extremely useful because it sets passengers expectations. If there was a delay and they hadnt sent the email then youd have hundreds of people at check in saying the same line And you thought you leave it until now to tell me???
You mean like the non-communication on the near full schedule cancellation tomorrow?

Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
got the very same Email for yesterdays BA712 (LHR-ZRH). I took that mail for that as it is. a warning that something might happen. and as an explanation why the delay that could have happened would have been happened.

but for some people moaning and whining is part of the deal and BA couldn't do anything right.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
You mean like the non-communication on the near full schedule cancellation tomorrow?

didnt you promise us earlier in the thread to go back to the real world?

which non-communication do you mean?
-----

SummaryWe are expecting adverse weather conditions across parts of the UK on Sunday 9th February, which is likely to affect some of our short-haul flights.

We recognise the uncertainty that the bad weather may be causing customers, and have therefore introduced flexible rebooking options for all customers on domestic and European flights flying to/from London Heathrow, London Gatwick and London City on Sunday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.