Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA54 (JNB-LHR) - 7 Feb Delayed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I can confirm the reason was, a pack of Stanley knife blades were found (Presumed left by maintenance during that afternoon) which meant a deep security check was carried out and then lead to crew going out of hours !!
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
I can confirm the reason was, a pack of Stanley knife blades were found (Presumed left by maintenance during that afternoon) which meant a deep security check was carried out and then lead to crew going out of hours !!
Wow. Presumably tough to argue that's an extraordinary circumstance given leaving those on board was within ground staff's control? And given the length of the delay, is it fair to argue that they have had sufficient notice to substitute in an aircraft for the BA54 (understanding that this is not always possible given availability, but nonetheless this is also within their control)?

Anyone with an Expert Flyer account able to see if its showing as eligible?
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Incidentally the BA57 now looks to be departing at 1800 local according to FR24, further delayed by 2 hours.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, CX Gold
Originally Posted by Mekko
Incidentally the BA57 now looks to be departing at 1800 local according to FR24, further delayed by 2 hours.
There were some oddities on FR24 but looks like it departed at 17:01 due to arrive 06:15.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bplatt_uk
There were some oddities on FR24 but looks like it departed at 17:01 due to arrive 06:15.
1701 was actually the takeoff time. The flight departed at 1639, and the current ETA is 0551 on 8 February.

Poor cabin crew, who AIUI will then rest all day and operate BA54 back to London at 2205 on 8 February. I hope those pax will cut them some slack.
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Poor cabin crew, who AIUI will then rest all day and operate BA54 back to London at 2205 on 8 February. I hope those pax will cut them some slack.
Ouch! I don’t envy the flight crew at all.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
Unsurprisingly this didn’t get mentioned by the captain in his pre-departure announcement. Instead he is resolutely sticking with the higher-level “unforeseen security checks” version of events.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:31 am

Unsurprisingly this didn’t get mentioned by the captain in his pre-departure announcement. Instead he is resolutely sticking with the higher-level “unforeseen security checks” version of events.
Well it may well have been unforeseen. Question is was it unforeseeable?

Have a safe flight - good news is the flight time is short today.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks. We must be close to breaking new ground for the lightest load on an A380...
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:55 am

If I understand this properly, knives have been found on the plane as it was being cleaned after its arrival from a previous flight.

If the knives have been carried on board by a passenger, then I don’t know how it can be foreseen by the airline: they aren’t responsible for inspecting passengers as they come onboard and, unless whoever brought them oboard started sharpening the blades mid-flight, then it’s fair to say they wouldn’t have noticed.

It’d be different if, say, tools have been left on board by the engineers. However this is more and more a remote eventuality at LHR thanks to the long overdue introduction of non-personalised equipment.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
the previous flight landed on feb 4th, this was not like a 3 hour turnaround.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No good at all would come of full disclosure. The busybodies on board would get hysterical.
Mekko and THEOBCMAN like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.