Search

BA54 (JNB-LHR) - 7 Feb Delayed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
BA54 (JNB-LHR) - 7 Feb Delayed

All -

I'm due to take the BA54 tomorrow evening which is currently showing as delayed until 0930 the following morning.

Any sense for whether this delay is likely to worsen? I’m due into JNB on a (separately ticketed) SAA flight tomorrow from HRE and I am now wondering if I should plan for an early morning flight from HRE on Saturday instead to avoid a long layover at JNB...

Any advice appreciated.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Until BA inform you of the overnight delay with a new check-in time I wouldn’t make any changes as they could swap aircraft, etc.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Tonight’s 57 will now be going at 4pm tomorrow, hence your delay until Saturday morning.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Comms from BA finally received:

BA54 - We are sorry to advise that your flight has been delayed overnight. This is due to the aircraft operating this flight being delayed departing London, because of unforeseen security measures preventing a same day departure. New departure time: 09:30 local time 08FEB. Check-in will open at 05:30 and close at 08:30 08FEB. We are working to secure hotel accommodation, should you require it. We will update you further by 12:00. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience and frustration this will cause.
I presume the unforeseen security measures rule this flight ineligible for EU261...
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
No, not necessarily. BA May well be in the area of extraordinary reasons causing the delay, but they must also take all reasonable measures to try and get you to your destination on time or at least minimise the delay. Given the amount of notice provided here I’d expect you may well have a case.
Good thread here EU261

Last edited by zanderblue; Feb 7, 2020 at 12:32 am
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unforeseen security measures? That’s a novel reason.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Unforeseen security measures? That’s a novel reason.
Call Me Dave's gun again?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, CX Gold
Originally Posted by Airprox
Tonight’s 57 will now be going at 4pm tomorrow, hence your delay until Saturday morning.
I’m also booked on BA54. Curious if there’s any info on the reason for the BA57 delay?

In any case it’s a bit irritating but not a huge problem in my case.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:09 am
Original Poster

As I am flying in from HRE I can’t transfer to the earlier BA56 due to being within the minimum connection time.

There are no other OW options for the same reason, and routing via CPT apparently won’t work due to lack of seats.

Is it a totally lost cause pushing BA to stick me on the SA234 which is showing availability and would be a tight 1:25 connection?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:19 am

BA57 delayed flight 6/2/20

Any more updates on why this flight is delayed by 18 hours? Not on this flight but it seems to be having a knock on effect on my flight on Saturday
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Xlei was/is scheduled to do the ba57. She landed from hong kong on the 4th and has not flown since.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Xlei was/is scheduled to do the ba57. She landed from hong kong on the 4th and has not flown since.
Deep clean issue?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Mike P
Deep clean issue?
while that crossed my mind, if this was happening on every ba aircraft coming in from hong kong we would have heard about it, so why this one
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:36 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Could she be off for a disinfection and deep clean?

M
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mekko
Is it a totally lost cause pushing BA to stick me on the SA234 which is showing availability and would be a tight 1:25 connection?
Yes, a complete lost cause. A complicating factor is that you don't currently have, or would have under your scenario, a connection at all, just two separate tickets. I think I see a hotel room at JNB in your future (which BA will ultimately cover).
BA235 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.