Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Automated cocktail maker on trial - SFO and EWR lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Automated cocktail maker on trial - SFO and EWR lounges

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Indeed. Popular with Accountants who want to trim back on the larger measures a self-pouring BAFT member would use.
Portion Control is one of the great evils of our time
SK, T8191, alex67500 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I am now imagining a Coke Freestyle machine loaded with various spirits and mixers that you can add together as you wish, rather than "choose from the menu".

I can make it cloud-enabled: connect it to the Webtender [1] for drink recipes.

What could possibly go wrong? hic

[1] one of the oldest websites on the Internet today!
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/barsys-...-maker-review/

Review here - not great!
The Good Barsys can automatically make a wide variety of cocktails from a large database of recipes. Barsys will pour proper proportions quickly and look good doing it.

The Bad You can only have three mixers in the machine at any given time, and Barsys can't shake your cocktail or add extras like sugar, garnishes or bitters. The glitchy app frequently crashes and loses track of your ingredients. The machine itself occasionally leaks, and switching out bottles of alcohol is a huge pain.

The Bottom Line Both the Barsys machine and the app need more polish, and even at its best, Barsys costs too much for a machine that essentially measures volumes of alcohol for you.
SK likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Truthmonkey
And as any fule kno the way to make a perfect martini is to fill a large martini glass with gin and wave it in the general direction of Italy
... which was basically how they made them on our last holiday in St. Lucia. Shaker and ice rinsed with Martini, empty liquid into sink and then add gin. Dhake and serve. I was impressed!
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Andy49

The BARSYS looks small enough to fit into somebody's carry on
I might have liberated the odd bag of crisps for a flight, but that would really be pushing your luck! 😂
Andy49 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Andy49

The BARSYS looks small enough to fit into somebody's carry on
Where's that thread about nicking stuff again?
HIDDY, Andy49 and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Can't say I'm a cocktail person but it's good to see they're catering for the modern day flyer.

They used to shove a mix up a thoroughbred horses backside so they'd 'cock their tail' in order to attract a better price at market.....say no more.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7¾³ © ™
Originally Posted by alex67500
Where's that thread about nicking stuff again?

Exactly what I was thinking, somebody's got to have it to add to their collection, maybe a center piece. It's not on Ebay yet
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:04 pm

...and nobody has yet commented on the JW Red...
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
[Hopefully this thread does not get more traction that the new WT bedding!]
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Truly you are one of the last shining beacons of the Temperance Movement
So it's official, this forum IS more interested in a cocktail machine currently gracing two lounges, than the textures, colour and fabrics in the bedding used by 70% of BA customers:

Happily, for me at least, the pancake maker (in one known BA lounge) may well overtake both of the above.
T8191, alex67500 and BertieBadger like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:40 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
So it's official, this forum IS more interested in a cocktail machine currently gracing two lounges, than the textures, colour and fabrics in the bedding used by 70% of BA customers:
I'm hoping this didn't come as an entirely unexpected event for you .

Cheers ...
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:11 am

As it's in America are you expected to leave a tip
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
lol thats the first thought I thought of when I saw this article on the main flyertalk page is what to do about tipping? I would be fine with a robot bartender, would save me some money not having to tip for each drink.

On a related note I've always wondered if/when robot bartenders would be widespread in the future. I mean we hear all the time about jobs being lost due to automation and robots, and bartending on the surface looks like a prime candidate. I could see some tech startup easily building a machine larger than barsys that can make more drinks. Not sure how it would handle the legal stuff like checking ID, not serving someone already intoxicated, etc but as far as mixing drinks in a specified ratio that seems well suited for a machine.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Such a device would probably require you to tip by donating some charge from your phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.