Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Automated cocktail maker on trial - SFO and EWR lounges

Old Feb 4, 20, 1:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

BA are trialling an automated cocktail maker in the BA SFO and EWR lounges, full report here:

https://mediacentre.britishairways.c...12035?ref=Home

and I've used their second photo in this post. The gimmick side to this is that AI is somehow involved in the App that allows users to select their drinks, but since there are 30 drink combinations in the device I'm not sure that truly advances human endeavour by a massive amount. To be fair, I guess the 30 drink combinations is due to the spirits loaded on top, and changing those spirits around could vastly increase the combination of potential drink options. It is on trial until the end of March 2020.

[Hopefully this thread does not get more traction that the new WT bedding!]
Old Feb 4, 20, 2:21 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
BA are trialling an automated cocktail maker in the BA SFO and EWR lounges, full report here:

https://mediacentre.britishairways.c...12035?ref=Home

and I've used their second photo in this post. The gimmick side to this is that AI is somehow involved in the App that allows users to select their drinks,
...snip...
Thanks for the link, sadly on digging a bit deeper this looks to be the usual case of the marketing dept. throwing in the expected buzzwords. It's no longer enough that our devices are "smart", they need to have "AI" now....Looking at the maker's site:

https://thebarsys.com/blogs/news/introducing-barsys-2-0

The "AI" element seems to be limited to a feedback system where it checks and corrects the measures (and maybe the mixing), rather than anything more meaningful related to recipes.

However, I don't want to be a "Moaning Minnie" (or a Bellyaching Badger), setting aside the usual hype factor it may be an interesting device. I would suspect that the makers are bearing much (maybe all?) of the cost to get this into the lounges to increase the visibility of the product, and I can see a benefit to a customer who wants a simpler mixed drink and doesn't need to wait at the bar (tho many customers of course enjoy a seat at the bar). From the point of view of the lounges, it enforces a control over dispense sizes that can't be done when purely self-service. Some of the pours I see at LHR et al are waaaaaay over the UK standard of 25/35ml! Some of course aren't even into glasses, but that's another story.....

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
[Hopefully this thread does not get more traction that the new WT bedding!]
Truly you are one of the last shining beacons of the Temperance Movement
Old Feb 4, 20, 2:38 am

Programs: GGL/CCR etc.
Where's the Luxardo, Cointreau, crème de violette, Angostura? What if I want a perfect martini? Ghastly.

EDIT: now if they installed Toni, I might be tempted to give it a try:

SK, mradey, wrp96 and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Mixbury; Feb 4, 20 at 2:47 am
Old Feb 4, 20, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I've previously partaken of cocktails from the Makr Shakr pictured above onboard a cruise ship, and the cocktails were not a patch on those mixed by a human. No doubt down to too much ice/mixers and not enough booze.
Old Feb 4, 20, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Dear lord, that's ghastly.
dnajockey and AJA_ like this.
Old Feb 4, 20, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer View Post
I've previously partaken of cocktails from the Makr Shakr pictured above onboard a cruise ship, and the cocktails were not a patch on those mixed by a human. No doubt down to too much ice/mixers and not enough booze.
Indeed. Popular with Accountants who want to trim back on the larger measures a self-pouring BAFT member would use.
Old Feb 4, 20, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
You can't even make a decent cocktail with what is shown there. Tanqueray Ten is a great gin, but not ideal for a martini, in my opinion, as it is too flowery. And there are far better vermouths than martini.
Old Feb 4, 20, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
You can't even make a decent cocktail with what is shown there
I'm not sure I would read too much into that - the BA press release pics are cribbed directly from the manufacturer - this is apparent because their site has product photos showing not just the same line up, but the exact same levels in each bottle.

Hopefully it won't be too long till someone passes through one of the lounges and reports back on what is loaded and how it works in practice.
Old Feb 4, 20, 7:06 am

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7¾³ © ™

The BARSYS looks small enough to fit into somebody's carry on
Old Feb 4, 20, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
There's a Bartesian at the AA Flagship Lounge at DFW. I had a play with it last week having never tried any of these machines before. There were about half a dozen different flavour pods and then you select the strength from four different levels including mocktail. I didn't think my margarita was that bad but not as good as a half decent bartender.

SK and narvik like this.
Old Feb 4, 20, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
I'm intrigued as to how the drink in the picture illustrated is campari red, but there is no campari (or anything red) in the system.

One of the best things about cocktails is watching a skilled bartender make it. I wonder how it (for instance) wipes the rim of the glass with orange (hint: it doesn't). Nothing about this system endears itself to me.
Old Feb 4, 20, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hopefully a passing fad.

And as any fule kno the way to make a perfect martini is to fill a large martini glass with gin and wave it in the general direction of Italy
dnajockey and T8191 like this.
Old Feb 4, 20, 8:41 am

Programs: GGL/CCR etc.
Originally Posted by Truthmonkey View Post
Hopefully a passing fad.

And as any fule kno the way to make a perfect martini is to fill a large martini glass with gin and wave it in the general direction of Italy
There is a difference between a perfect martini, and one that you might consider has been made perfectly.
Old Feb 4, 20, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by abligh View Post
I'm intrigued as to how the drink in the picture illustrated is campari red, but there is no campari (or anything red) in the system.
From the manufacturer's site, there seems to be three "mixer cartridges" which are inserted into the side, but not visible in the BA pic. Presumably one of those is "red flavour"

I am trying not to be too cynical until we get reports from the field, I don't think anyone will seriously suggest it is even close to a replacement for a skilled bartender (the danger I suppose is BA thinking it is, which would be rather unfortunate to put it mildly....)
Old Feb 4, 20, 8:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Are cocktails, or even bartenders making cocktails, a "thing" at EWR?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: