Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why is BA CW/F meal service so slow (genuine question, not trolling)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is BA CW/F meal service so slow (genuine question, not trolling)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
And those are three of the main reasons I try to avoid AA!

With respect to the service, I prefer the unhurried BA approach. I like to relax after boarding and enjoy a couple of drinks before the meal service begins. On AA invariably I haven't finished my first drink before the meal starts arriving. I find their service somewhat rushed where crew sometimes appear to want the service done so they can get behind the curtain and entertain themselves.
no shortage of drink here, and crew are passing through cabin regularly.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
As someone who is a bit of a slow eater and who likes to enjoy eating, I like not having food thrown at me like I’m in a fast food outlet!
PUCCI GALORE, HIDDY and lhrsfo like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
I've never felt rushed on AA but have once or twice wondered why things were taking so long on BA (though to be fair, this is rare). And I love the mini cabin on the 777W (-300) which, as aristoph notes, has a wonderfully spacious bathroom on the starboard side. The 777W has great seats, too.
aristoph, T8191 and Lefly like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Well it is partly done to our badly designed service routines and lack of crew, we would never have time to take a meal order on the ground as we are running around like headless chickens trying to deliver our pre-takeoff service.
Personally on day flights I don’t think it is necessary to take meal orders on the ground but I would like to see our meal services redesigned.
Whilst I personally find the BA crews more friendly than your colleagues from AA (especially when you travel in the back of the plane) I very much appreciate your comment. I am always wondering/ admiring how you and colleagues manage to get a PDB out when hundreds of people board at the same time. For WT+ though I need to say that I almost would love to place a bet on the 50/50 chance of getting bubbles or just water/ juice (most recently only juice and water, unfortunately)
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
In my travels from a long time ago... I found that in coach, both on BA and AA.. the service comes out pretty quick.
and agree, in J or F, the meal and drink service is very very slow... maybe the FA are making sure the food served is presented like a fancy restaurant, but not the taste.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: ex BD(LG),HH(D),SPG(P)/(LG), BA(G)
I would say I'm pretty relaxed about most things, but found my most recent outbound meal the slowest I can ever recall, particularly for a short hop across to YYZ. It was on the A350 so granted there is some getting used to a new aircraft.

However for a flight that was planned to be 6:40 hrs (per the pre flight announcement, so nothing the crew wouldn't have been aware of) the timings were as follows in hrs:mins from take off:
0:56 got my gin and tonic and nuts; (the pre flight drink had been removed over an hour before take off; we then had a long wait in a t/o queue as an aircraft was returning for an emergency landing)
1:48 starter arrived;
2:28 main course arrived;
3:02 dessert arrived;
3:13 dinner service all cleared;
5:21 afternoon tea arrived (only 2 and a bit hours after dinner)

I felt for the crew as I understood that the service method used was what BA wanted them to use, but frankly it was not good. What makes the above even more incredible is that I was sat in seat 1A and was therefore, in many instances, nearly the first person to be served...

Aside from that the A350 was fantastic to fly in, though in my, and my partners, view the CS door was more of a novelty and not necessarily easy to open/close at times. I was going to compare the Club Suites with the 747 UD upon our return, but we got a superb new years present of 1K/2K for the return from ORD. FIRST beats CS and the service was much slicker on the return (thankfully, given it being a short overnight hop)!!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
In F, BA are offering personalised PJs (size) and amenity kit (gender orientation of the contents). That precludes loading them before takeoff and getting it right every time because some passengers will always be assigned seats after the aircraft is cleaned and catered and it is worse to deliver the wrong thing than to deliver it later. BA are also trying to offer a personal service where the staff give you something rather than having you find it - and it's hard to disagree that the F service on BA is more personalised and attentive than the AA F service.

In J neither airline is offering a personalised amenity and PJ service so they could place the amenity kit and menu at the seat beforehand - and AA does so.

In F, and even in J, many passengers are looking forward to a relaxed, restaurant-style service (and I don't mean Wagamama!). Some may want a faster service, and the way most airlines that please both types of passenger do so is to have an "express menu" option where items are brought out together or some courses are omitted. "Why does BA service take longer" is not least because "BA consider most of their passengers want, or will accept, it that way."

That said, some BA services are really very slow these days and that's not good. Ideally, like in any good restaurant, the BA meal service should have: prompt taking of orders and prompt delivery of drinks; starters a short while later; main courses when the starters have been finished for a few minutes; dessert offer a little while after the main course has been finished; post-prandial drinks and dessert delivered at about the same time. If the guest wants to slow things down, they can delay indicating that they have finished (cutlery position!).
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Only1BD
However for a flight that was planned to be 6:40 hrs (per the pre flight announcement, so nothing the crew wouldn't have been aware of) the timings were as follows in hrs:mins from take off:
0:56 got my gin and tonic and nuts; (the pre flight drink had been removed over an hour before take off; we then had a long wait in a t/o queue as an aircraft was returning for an emergency landing)
Wow. That’s terrible!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
Some may want a faster service, and the way most airlines that please both types of passenger do so is to have an "express menu" option where items are brought out together or some courses are omitted.
AA does also have an express option!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

If there’s one constant on AA, and other US carriers, it is the crew gets the grub out fast. Those, like myself who prefer to finish the main with the side salad need to bolt the plate to the table as often I find the full plate gets snatched away as quickly as it appeared.
HIDDY and lhrsfo like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Only1BD
I would say I'm pretty relaxed about most things, but found my most recent outbound meal the slowest I can ever recall, particularly for a short hop across to YYZ. It was on the A350 so granted there is some getting used to a new aircraft.

I felt for the crew as I understood that the service method used was what BA wanted them to use, but frankly it was not good. What makes the above even more incredible is that I was sat in seat 1A and was therefore, in many instances, nearly the first person to be served...

Aside from that the A350 was fantastic to fly in, though in my, and my partners, view the CS door was more of a novelty and not necessarily easy to open/close at times. I was going to compare the Club Suites with the 747 UD upon our return, but we got a superb new years present of 1K/2K for the return from ORD. FIRST beats CS and the service was much slicker on the return (thankfully, given it being a short overnight hop)!!
What route please?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Seems to me the services reflect the dining experiences in the respective home countries. Lived in London for years and really enjoyed the relaxed pace of meals when out in the evenings with friends/dates. Two hour table bookings in the U.K. when in the US restaurants two hours is slow service. And I get why US tables do that for tips turnover, but I think in general it just makes the US process a bit rushed. Went out to a nice restaurant last night to catch up with friends and paid the bill after barely an hour. Not much chance to catch up.
I do like the dine on demand option in F on BA. I like the idea of an express menu.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
If there’s one constant on AA, and other US carriers, it is the crew gets the grub out fast. Those, like myself who prefer to finish the main with the side salad need to bolt the plate to the table as often I find the full plate gets snatched away as quickly as it appeared.
it is a cultural thing. Same In US restaurants. I’m married to an American and nothing winds him up more than a) slow service and b) a dirty plate left in front of him (even if I’m still eating). It took me a while to get used to it but maybe now I’m acclimated, as our cousins say ;-)
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bellerina
Seems to me the services reflect the dining experiences in the respective home countries. Lived in London for years and really enjoyed the relaxed pace of meals when out in the evenings with friends/dates. Two hour table bookings in the U.K. when in the US restaurants two hours is slow service. And I get why US tables do that for tips turnover, but I think in general it just makes the US process a bit rushed. Went out to a nice restaurant last night to catch up with friends and paid the bill after barely an hour. Not much chance to catch up.
I do like the dine on demand option in F on BA. I like the idea of an express menu.
absolutely agree Bellerina, but my experience of BA recently has been so slow that I always eat before I board to make sure I’m not hungry!

PS my experience in US is also that you can always slow it down/pause if you want. I love US service.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
What route please?
LHR-YYZ it seems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.