Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why is BA CW/F meal service so slow (genuine question, not trolling)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:20 am
Original Poster

I’m currently in J onboard AA57 to MIA. Recently I have been choosing American in preference to BA transatlantic because I prefer their seat and I prefer T3. I’m just finishing up a passable lunch and I realised it is 1h 25m since wheels up. my experience on BA has generally been that it takes at least an hour longer than that to dine in J or F so I am just wondering if this is deliberate, or if they are set up differently. It was notable that the AA crew took everybody’s orders on the ground (drink and main course) and when I went to the bathroom so soon after the seatbelt sign went off they already had all the appetizers lined up and ready to go. It doesn’t make so much difference on a daytime flight to MIa but their speed would be very welcome on an overnight hop back to London.

PS I still hate the 777 but AA at least makes it bearable. Small forward J cabin of 2x4 and a toilet twice the size of BA’s cubbyhole!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aristoph
....It doesn’t make so much difference on a daytime flight to MIa but their speed would be very welcome on an overnight hop back to London....
I would eat in the excellent AA lounge at MIA to get more sleep on board, so the speed wouldn’t matter at all.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Well it is partly done to our badly designed service routines and lack of crew, we would never have time to take a meal order on the ground as we are running around like headless chickens trying to deliver our pre-takeoff service.
Personally on day flights I don’t think it is necessary to take meal orders on the ground but I would like to see our meal services redesigned.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:32 am

I wouldn't say it's always slower on BA. Inconsistent yes. I've had services ranging from 1h15 min to 3h (from wheels up to having dessert tray cleared) on BA in the past year. It's definitely quicker when orders are taken on the ground as the galley crew can plan better.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I know someone who could start a ''Why is the AA J meal service so rushed on a TATL day flight?'' thread on the AA board.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Well it is partly done to our badly designed service routines and lack of crew, we would never have time to take a meal order on the ground as we are running around like headless chickens trying to deliver our pre-takeoff service.
Personally on day flights I don’t think it is necessary to take meal orders on the ground but I would like to see our meal services redesigned.
interesting, but what do BA crews do pre flight that’s different? The AA crew served drinks on the ground etc but also took food orders.
Qatar Airways likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
From what I have noticed they seat load, menus, water and amenity kits all of which we are not allowed to do.
The CSD/CSM who is part of the CW team is at the door for boarding leaving 3 crew to hand out all of the above plus welcome drinks to 48 customers on a B777-200.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
From what I have noticed they seat load, menus, water and amenity kits all of which we are not allowed to do.
The CSD/CSM who is part of the CW team is at the door for boarding leaving 3 crew to hand out all of the above plus welcome drinks to 48 customers on a B777-200.
it is true that the menu, water and amenity kit were all on my seat when I boarded. Not sure why BA thinks that is infra dig!
nancypants and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
The question could also be. Why do I sometimes have a 1h service and sometimes a 3h service on ba..? I guess it's the crews.
I had a good 1h in club suite to Toronto.
And I had a good 3h in qsuites to bkk on qr. Insane.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I’m currently in J onboard AA57 to MIA. Recently I have been choosing American in preference to BA transatlantic because I prefer their seat and I prefer T3. I’m just finishing up a passable lunch and I realised it is 1h 25m since wheels up ...
And those are three of the main reasons I try to avoid AA!

With respect to the service, I prefer the unhurried BA approach. I like to relax after boarding and enjoy a couple of drinks before the meal service begins. On AA invariably I haven't finished my first drink before the meal starts arriving. I find their service somewhat rushed where crew sometimes appear to want the service done so they can get behind the curtain and entertain themselves.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:13 am

48 customers in J would explain a lot!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ aristoph - I can understand, where the choice is available, your preference for T3 over T5 .......if only in terms of superior lounge options ; but given that you find various other advantages in using AA (including seat & speed of service), there would seem little reason for you to go back to BA for your TATL flights.

That said, if there is any truth to the speculation - and it really is pure speculation as things stand - then T3 would ultimately cease to be an alternative, in the event of AA services being moved to a re-vamped T5.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:18 am

it is true that the menu, water and amenity kit were all on my seat when I boarded. Not sure why BA thinks that is infra dig!
Probably worried they'd get swiped by the economy passengers walking past empty seats to get to their cabin on boarding. Also, mentioned for reasons of inclusivity, other business-class passengers wanting spares.
aristoph, nancypants and mctaste like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by subject2load
@ aristoph - I can understand, where the choice is available, your preference for T3 over T5 .......if only in terms of superior lounge options ; but given that you find various other advantages in using AA (including seat & speed of service), there would seem little reason for you to go back to BA for your TATL flights.

That said, if there is any truth to the speculation - and it really is pure speculation as things stand - then T3 would ultimately cease to be an alternative, in the event of AA services being moved to a re-vamped T5.
I fly BA for redemptions but AA when work is paying (credited to BAEC).and BA for non-US routes.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mctaste
48 customers in J would explain a lot!
52J on an AA 777-300.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.