Wiki Posts
Search

Long haul aircraft on short haul routes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by florens
In Europe IB, LX, TP sometimes, EI, LH just to name a few on top of my head.
And UX [Air Europa, soon to enter the IAG fold apparently].All AMS flights are on widebodies, and even some of their domestic (well, to the Canary Islands) are on widebodies too. This should not be taken as meaning that these are the only European destinations to receive Air Europa widebodies - just the ones I have direct experience of.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
I
Hainan Airlines fly their 787 on a triangular route China-EDI-DUB-China which alternates China-DUB-EDI-China on other days.
That ended several months back...
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...from-sep-2019/
https://www.ittn.ie/news/hainan-airl...or-the-winter/
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by richardwft
Any ATC strike is a risk to any schedules’ integrity.
A minimum of 20 extra seats isn’t a few.
It isn’t a wish.
You clearly have never flown to or over France in summer. It’s a huge risk!! And happens almost every year.

20 seats extra sold at probably the lowest fare (maybe £50) if all filled- would give £1,000 extra at most. Take off taxes, ground handling costs for extra extra passenger and maybe you have around £800 left. That then has to the pay for much higher en route and airport charges due to higher MTOW of the 787 (that governs the charging rates). Then fuel burn will be much more than for an A321 and then there’s a risk the evening ICN flight incurs 200seats worth of EU261 if it’s late due to strikes, or thunderstorms delaying summer flights. That fails to sound like a very compelling plan to me just to sell 20 extra seats at most.. so good luck with the pipe dream! There are very rational reasons why airlines prefer not to do this. Only where there are strong passenger or cargo flows (like London Madrid) does it seem to be worth misusing long haul equipment on some days.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DFB_london
You clearly have never flown to or over France in summer. It’s a huge risk!! And happens almost every year.

20 seats extra sold at probably the lowest fare (maybe £50) if all filled- would give £1,000 extra at most. Take off taxes, ground handling costs for extra extra passenger and maybe you have around £800 left. That then has to the pay for much higher en route and airport charges due to higher MTOW of the 787 (that governs the charging rates). Then fuel burn will be much more than for an A321 and then there’s a risk the evening ICN flight incurs 200seats worth of EU261 if it’s late due to strikes, or thunderstorms delaying summer flights. That fails to sound like a very compelling plan to me just to sell 20 extra seats at most.. so good luck with the pipe dream! There are very rational reasons why airlines prefer not to do this. Only where there are strong passenger or cargo flows (like London Madrid) does it seem to be worth misusing long haul equipment on some days.
You wouldn’t consider the extra seats at the lowest fare. You wouldn’t generally risk any aircraft getting grounded or delayed for long periods anywhere away from base due to any ATC strike or any extraordinary circumstances. I don’t have wish lists nor pipe dreams.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Jan 19, 2020 at 11:37 am
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
My opinion NCE would be well down the list for a wide body.

As happens to other destinations, if there is extra demand at certain times of the year the extra services are put on.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAGold
Iberia a330/340 mad-lpa

Originally Posted by SA100
Tel-aviv, Madrid, Moscow, and Helsinki are they the only destinations BA fly wide body on short haul? Have i missed any?
Last Summer from JULY to end of October Iberia rostered the A330 or A340 between Madrid and Gran Canaria LPA for the evening rotation leaving MAD in the late afternoon and arriving back in MAD just before midnight. Hopefully they will do the same for Summer 2020...a welcome bonus in Business class to have a flat bed on the route instead of the standard 'camping chair' comfort of I2 Iberia Express!

As far as BA is concerned I do think they should consider a wide body aircraft for the LCA route in the future...since the 767 has gone it's really a nightmare on the 320/321neos for a flight time which is often more than 5 hours.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
It would be nice if BA introduced a 788 on LHR-EDI to replace the old 763 flights.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:49 pm
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by SA100
Thanks for the correction re Finnair. Apart from BA FInnair and Turkish Airlines to IST. Are there anymore airlines using long haul wide-bodies on short and mid haul that offer full flat business ?
EK fly a 777 between LCA and MLA.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:55 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
My opinion NCE would be well down the list for a wide body.

As happens to other destinations, if there is extra demand at certain times of the year the extra services are put on.
Except at the time of the Cannes Film Festival in May?

Air France has in the past used an A340 from CDG - and indeed operated the A380 during the summer of 2010 (?) on the same route.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by u01sss3
It would be nice if BA introduced a 788 on LHR-EDI to replace the old 763 flights.
Alas the 767-300ER has been substituted by the densified A321. A few (30-ish, I reckon) less seats with 40% less weight and, realistically, similar fuel savings (and emissions).

Whilst it's nice to dream about having a widebody on a short-haul route that isn't a MAD rotation, it's just not going to happen (unless it's after disruption, like c-w-s said). And it's sure as hell not going to be a 787. Leaving aside the problems with the engines, and the fact that Menzies and Aviapartner seem to have made a pact whereby if BA flies a new aircraft type (or subtype) they'll crash into it, the 787 fleet is one of the most used fleets and one with the least downtime.

Those flights to Cyprus and Istanbul ought to have something similar to the Mid-Haul A321, at least for the length of the journey and, in the case of IST, the competition of TK but it's evidently not worth the hassle (or, rather, you're not going to get a revenue advantage so the investment cannot be justified).

Whilst we're on the topic of dreams I'd love BA to fly to Sarajevo and to return to the Caucasus and Central Asia but, considering that in all my travels there I met only three Brits (two oilers in Aqtobe and one mad overlander in Dushanbe) I doubt it'll happen. Less Austin, more Almaty folks!!!
lcylocal likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite
My dream is for Sofia to get a long haul plane ✈️ , often is busy flight (being only once daily as well) and most of time with club getting 7-10 rows these days.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Except at the time of the Cannes Film Festival in May?..
and MIPIM in March.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Except at the time of the Cannes Film Festival in May?

Air France has in the past used an A340 from CDG - and indeed operated the A380 during the summer of 2010 (?) on the same route.
A whole widebody packed to the rafters by film stars, starlettes, wannabes and film critics? That's probably what awaits me in hell.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:08 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but I recall those A300 aircraft which seemed to be constantly full flying all sorts of routes within Europe for AF, LH, AZ amongst others. Were they very loss-making as there really has not been anything similar to come along? I do recall that in the days when AF was state run, all domestic flights were operated by Air Inter. They had the A330 and I flew it once ORY - MPL. They also had A300s (I suspect that they had little choice given AF's commitment to Airbus) which even flew ORY - LYS. The coming of the TGV put pay to all that.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
A whole widebody packed to the rafters by film stars, starlettes, wannabes and film critics? That's probably what awaits me in hell.
It could be worse, it could be an entire Love Island location flight.
13901 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.