Search

Avios on AA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Avios on AA

Good day all.

I will be travelling throughout parts of the US with my wife for at least six weeks. We will be hopping around using AA and/or Delta. Delta bookings I am happy with as I can easily book on my tablet using my stash with KLM, who make it very easy to book Reward flights.

However, I would like to have advice as to the easiest way to book AA internal flights using my BA Avios.
I ask, as the BA App does not seem to make it easy... ie 'for any partners, call local service center.' I have to believe that there must be an easier way to book internal AA flights than having to call a service center. I just want to be able to power up my phone or tablet while on the road, and hey presto..... just book.

Would appreciate any advice....

Thanks, from the UK.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If there's availability showing on BA.com for AA flights using Avios, they should book straight off the website without hassle. I'd steer clear of the app and use the main website on tablet.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Personally I would use the main BA.com on a fast PC, fast internet, but it should work even on a small screen mobile phone App. Just choose the Book Flights with Avios, enter the start and end point airports and dates, single / return, and it should come up with the options. It is best to look for direct flights first, and then try to build up the full trip thereafter. So if flying NYC to OMA, you best start doing JFK-ORD then ORD-OMA, then trying JFK-OMA.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess the web site is the way to go in the event that the App fails. How's about if I also change the the US BA site ?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Website works quite well for booking on AA using Avios. BA even provides a link via "Manage Booking" which transmits your reservation data to AA and allows you to select seats and add passenger information to the reservation.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mike turnbull
Thanks for the advice guys. I guess the web site is the way to go in the event that the App fails. How's about if I also change the the US BA site ?
Will you be booking one-way or round-trip flights on AA? Nonstops or connections? For round-trips involving connections, transferring your BA Avios to Iberia and redeeming through Iberia Plus could be much less expensive than booking the same flights through BAEC. But Iberia Plus bookings on AA are completely non-changeable/non-refundable, and Iberia periodically has problems booking award flights on AA.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Website works quite well for booking on AA using Avios. BA even provides a link via "Manage Booking" which transmits your reservation data to AA and allows you to select seats and add passenger information to the reservation.
Thanks. That I didn't know .
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Will you be booking one-way or round-trip flights on AA? Nonstops or connections? For round-trips involving connections, transferring your BA Avios to Iberia and redeeming through Iberia Plus could be much less expensive than booking the same flights through BAEC. But Iberia Plus bookings on AA are completely non-changeable/non-refundable, and Iberia periodically has problems booking award flights on AA.
And another one I didn't realise.
All internals one ways, direct. And the costs for both of us always seems to be £8.40, plus the Avios. I guess you mean a lot less Avios with Iberia, not the £8.40 component. We're actually using Avios with Iberia via Madrid to get over to the US in view of the considerable savings to be made, both fees and Avios, but hadn't thought of US internals. Thanks again.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Amb, Hilton Diamond
One thing I've found recently, the BA site will only a finite number of AA redemption options available starting with the earliest departure time. I wanted to do a CLT-NYC run late on a Sunday afternoon but there are so many options, all of them with redemption availability, that the site wasn't letting me book anything departing after 12:30! A quick call to BAEC sorted that one out but it might be worth noting.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
And another one I didn't realise.
All internals one ways, direct. And the costs for both of us always seems to be £8.40, plus the Avios. I guess you mean a lot less Avios with Iberia, not the £8.40 component. We're actually using Avios with Iberia via Madrid to get over to the US in view of the considerable savings to be made, both fees and Avios, but hadn't thought of US internals. Thanks again.
Yes: same amount of cash, but fewer Avios required. Example: a round-trip of under 1,000 total flown miles, requiring a connection in each direction would cost 30,000 BA Avios, but just 12,000 IB Avios!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joeykins
One thing I've found recently, the BA site will only a finite number of AA redemption options available starting with the earliest departure time. I wanted to do a CLT-NYC run late on a Sunday afternoon but there are so many options, all of them with redemption availability, that the site wasn't letting me book anything departing after 12:30! A quick call to BAEC sorted that one out but it might be worth noting.
Did you call back to the UK, or use a local BA US number ?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Amb, Hilton Diamond
I'm UK based so called the UK number (this was as part of a combined work & personal trip where work paid for the long haul segments but then I needed to make my own arrangements once in the US)
Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:20 am

I can't understand what's wrong with BA website for AA avios rewards.

For example - looking into MIA-JFK one way flight, 24/12/2020 in J.

AA website returns 3 available fligts in J (Business MileSAAver):
AA1142 7:25PM MIA - 10:29PM JFK
AA1357 9:30PM MIA - 12:36AM JFK
AA2466 10:40PM MIA - 1:32AM JFK

BA website returns just 1 available flight in J:
AA1140 7:00AM MIA - 10:01AM JFK

What does it mean?

This flight (AA1140) shows no availability on AA website at all, and all other flights available on AA don't show on BA at all.

Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
This pure speculation on my part but two things could be in play.

if you’re checking things on a weekend AA like a lot of the US carriers do seem to make a lot of schedule changes then. How dynamic the link is between AA and BA I don’t know but maybe it has a part. I cannot see that 07:00 flight in expert flyer at all. Edit: but unlike you at this time I can see it on the AA website.

My second theory is that the other flights all have “Web Special” fares available as well as the Savers (I think you need to use the new interface to see them) and that is excluding them from BA. It might be you can phone in and book them if they only need U class availability. Just a guess though.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 9:14 am

Was on the phone with BA, and comparing AA/BA/EF availability, it seems EF is most accurate - BA website filters out all flights past first 10(?), and AA website availability is completely random. BA agent was giving exactly the same availability that was showing on EF website.

What time AA reward flights (U class) becoming available for Avios booking? Midnight GMT? Midnight EST?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.