Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How much of the BA flight network does the BAEC FlyerTalk community fly in 2020?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The Google sheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...vid=1896029868

Edited 03/02/2020 to include links with Filter View enabled

COPY of Post 1 (from wilsnunn) for if the thread gets too long:

How much of the BA flight network does the BAEC FlyerTalk community fly in 2020?
It was suggested in another thread (see here: Any Gaps in our collective knowledge?) that it would be a fun/interesting task to see how much of the whole BA network of flights we as a community here on FlyerTalk actually fly in a given year.

After a bit of discussion in the afore mentioned thread, we came up with the idea of a Google Sheets document to track flights taken by the community.

If people here are genuinely interested in persuing this task then I am sure that it would lead to some very interesting results.

Rules:
  • You must only edit the Google Sheet when not logged into your own Google account (personal/business etc) so as to remain anonymous to the community (and to me the owner of the Google sheet using a new account that is not being used for anything else)
  • You can only add your flight to the list once you have flown it (incase of IRROPS, change of plans etc)
  • You have to have flown on the flight using its BA flight number
    • This means that if you flew on BA113 but were ticketed as AA6134 for example this should not be included
    • This also means that if you have flown QR1 but it was actually ticketed as BA7001 this should be included
In addition to when the route is first flown in the year, this could give some insight into the most popular routes for the members of the community here, as such there is a counter built into the spreadsheet (a simple COUNTA() function) so even if you are not the first to fly that route and want to participate in this experiment, it would be great to see how popular certain routes are.

The Google sheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...vid=1896029868

Obviously this will not be of interest to everybody but for those who are interested, I hope that this proves to be a fun and interesting experiment.

Note: if you wish to participate but wish to add an extra level of anonymity on top of your FT username, then please feel free to assign yourself another pseudonym and participate that way.

If you have any questions then please let me know.

My post from the afore mentioned thread for reference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
I have made myself an anonymous account and have put together a basic version of the Google Sheet.

It is fully editable by users who are not signed in and my account shows as "wilsnunn Flyertalk" so keeps me in the same position as I am here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...vid=1896029868

I suggest people opening in an "In Private" window thus keeping their personal Google accounts out of it.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Poised* to add another to the list next week!

*I don’t fly as much as most of you, so please excuse my excitement!
T8191 and wilsnunn like this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Poised* to add another to the list next week!

*I don’t fly as much as most of you, so please excuse my excitement!
I know how you feel, after a rollercoaster 2019, I have no flights planned at all this year at the moment due to the end of my PhD approaching quickly and sorting out my future after that. I am itching to get back onto a plane!
TedToToe likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I flew BA890 on 1/1/20 - can’t see it on there yet (this is LHR-SOF)
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by nshep
I flew BA890 on 1/1/20 - can’t see it on there yet (this is LHR-SOF)
Added for you
nshep likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Interesting, but if you want to know how much of the BA network is covered, you need to know what the complete BA network is. I just had a look, and there are 1700 different flight numbers currently filed for BA for 2020. That includes all BA operated flights, as well as franchises and wetleases.

It seems you are also including code share flights, ie flights that have a BA code but operated by another airline (such the BA7001, which is operated by QR). If you add all those in as well you'll have to add another 7700 flights in. I think actually for the codeshares your spreadsheet should really show who is operating the flight.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC
Sorry don’t have access to a laptop right now so please could someone add this for me.

BA2703
TFS-LGW
11th Jan
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: ex BD(LG),HH(D),SPG(P)/(LG), BA(G)
Cracking idea, and have added my ORD-LHR in there (surprisingly the first to have done it this year). Given that this is Flyertalk though, in the interest of full disclosure should we not include the cabin flown, so we can ensure all flights are covered in every cabin? A simple WT, WTP, C (perhaps also CS as it is rolled out), and F after your name maybe? Just a thought...
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I flew BA1423 BHD LHR on 11 Jan and will be on BA1422 LHR BHD 12 Jan. Mobile is not playing nice with editing so will update when I get home.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:55 pm

Also unable to edit on mobile

11/01 BA0854 LHR-PRG
11/01 BA0861 PRG-LHR

Would be grateful if someone could add
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by SHT88T
I flew BA1423 BHD LHR on 11 Jan and will be on BA1422 LHR BHD 12 Jan. Mobile is not playing nice with editing so will update when I get home.
Originally Posted by flyslow
Also unable to edit on mobile

11/01 BA0854 LHR-PRG
11/01 BA0861 PRG-LHR

Would be grateful if someone could add
Done! Although, SHT88T I have only added your outbound, for now.
flyslow and SHT88T like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Done! Although, SHT88T I have only added your outbound, for now.
Thanks @TedToToe. I’ve added tonight’s 1422 to the sheet.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

A quick update:

This spreadsheet has beeen posted for 1 week now and I wanted to provide a quick update.

- So far we have 80 flights marked as flown by the community here
- Only two of the flight numbers have been flown more than once (both have been flown twice so far)
- I have added a second sheet with some very rudimentary stats: number of flights flown and the most flown route (if multiple are equally popular then it will just pick the one with the lowest flight number)

If anybody is a Google Sheets wizz and wants to add any more formulas/stats/measurements then please feel free to do so (something like most visited non London airport would be interesting.)

Thanks to everybody who has taken part so far, lets see where this goes from here.
TedToToe, george77300 and AJA_ like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:42 pm
bzc

Programs: BAEC Silver
Added BA0738 and I should be on BA0735 on Friday
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
It was suggested in another thread (see here: Any Gaps in our collective knowledge?) that it would be a fun/interesting task to see how much of the whole BA network of flights we as a community here on FlyerTalk actually fly in a given year.
Following my starting the thread quoted last year - Just wanted to say massive well done to wilsnunn for setting this up & I look forward to adding my first 2 flights next week.
TedToToe and wilsnunn like this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:08 pm

BA229 LHR-BWI added!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.