Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How much of the BA flight network does the BAEC FlyerTalk community fly in 2020?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The Google sheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...vid=1896029868

Edited 03/02/2020 to include links with Filter View enabled

COPY of Post 1 (from wilsnunn) for if the thread gets too long:

How much of the BA flight network does the BAEC FlyerTalk community fly in 2020?
It was suggested in another thread (see here: Any Gaps in our collective knowledge?) that it would be a fun/interesting task to see how much of the whole BA network of flights we as a community here on FlyerTalk actually fly in a given year.

After a bit of discussion in the afore mentioned thread, we came up with the idea of a Google Sheets document to track flights taken by the community.

If people here are genuinely interested in persuing this task then I am sure that it would lead to some very interesting results.

Rules:
  • You must only edit the Google Sheet when not logged into your own Google account (personal/business etc) so as to remain anonymous to the community (and to me the owner of the Google sheet using a new account that is not being used for anything else)
  • You can only add your flight to the list once you have flown it (incase of IRROPS, change of plans etc)
  • You have to have flown on the flight using its BA flight number
    • This means that if you flew on BA113 but were ticketed as AA6134 for example this should not be included
    • This also means that if you have flown QR1 but it was actually ticketed as BA7001 this should be included
In addition to when the route is first flown in the year, this could give some insight into the most popular routes for the members of the community here, as such there is a counter built into the spreadsheet (a simple COUNTA() function) so even if you are not the first to fly that route and want to participate in this experiment, it would be great to see how popular certain routes are.

The Google sheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...vid=1896029868

Obviously this will not be of interest to everybody but for those who are interested, I hope that this proves to be a fun and interesting experiment.

Note: if you wish to participate but wish to add an extra level of anonymity on top of your FT username, then please feel free to assign yourself another pseudonym and participate that way.

If you have any questions then please let me know.

My post from the afore mentioned thread for reference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
I have made myself an anonymous account and have put together a basic version of the Google Sheet.

It is fully editable by users who are not signed in and my account shows as "wilsnunn Flyertalk" so keeps me in the same position as I am here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...vid=1896029868

I suggest people opening in an "In Private" window thus keeping their personal Google accounts out of it.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus

It was suggested in another thread (see here: Any Gaps in our collective knowledge?) that it would be a fun/interesting task to see how much of the whole BA network of flights we as a community here on FlyerTalk actually fly in a given year.

After a bit of discussion in the afore mentioned thread, we came up with the idea of a Google Sheets document to track flights taken by the community.

If people here are genuinely interested in persuing this task then I am sure that it would lead to some very interesting results.

Rules:
  • You must only edit the Google Sheet when not logged into your own Google account (personal/business etc) so as to remain anonymous to the community (and to me the owner of the Google sheet using a new account that is not being used for anything else)
  • You can only add your flight to the list once you have flown it (incase of IRROPS, change of plans etc)
  • You have to have flown on the flight using its BA flight number
    • This means that if you flew on BA113 but were ticketed as AA6134 for example this should not be included
    • This also means that if you have flown QR1 but it was actually ticketed as BA7001 this should be included
In addition to when the route is first flown in the year, this could give some insight into the most popular routes for the members of the community here, as such there is a counter built into the spreadsheet (a simple COUNTA() function) so even if you are not the first to fly that route and want to participate in this experiment, it would be great to see how popular certain routes are.

The Google sheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TRTobiGawg3qlOHh24Zn1RguMqkPslahQzySB2vS3uw/edit#gid=0&fvid=1896029868

Obviously this will not be of interest to everybody but for those who are interested, I hope that this proves to be a fun and interesting experiment.

Note: if you wish to participate but wish to add an extra level of anonymity on top of your FT username, then please feel free to assign yourself another pseudonym and participate that way.

If you have any questions then please let me know.

My post from the afore mentioned thread for reference:

I have made myself an anonymous account and have put together a basic version of the Google Sheet.

It is fully editable by users who are not signed in and my account shows as "wilsnunn Flyertalk" so keeps me in the same position as I am here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TRTobiGawg3qlOHh24Zn1RguMqkPslahQzySB2vS3uw/edit#gid=0&fvid=1896029868

I suggest people opening in an "In Private" window thus keeping their personal Google accounts out of it.

Last edited by wilsnunn; Feb 3, 2020 at 3:05 am Reason: Updated link to include fliter view
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:43 am

Maybe keep the entries sorted by flight number?

Shuly
george77300 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Must remember this - I’m on the first flight of a summer route this year so should have a decent chance of being the first FTer to record it for the year!
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by shuly

Shuly
I have included a "Filter" so that it is easy to sort it by flight number whenever anybody adds a new one on.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The Google sheet is here:
Sorry, not that IT aware. What do I do? Just fill in the next line in the spreadsheet once I’ve flown? I can see a bunch of pre-loaded BA Flights showing 0.

Last edited by T8191; Jan 5, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
Sorry, not that IT aware. What do I do? Just fill in the next line in the spreadsheet once I’ve flown?
Exactly, if the flight that you have flown is not already on the list (I pre-populated some and other people have added some already) then simply add to a new row, the flight number, origin and destination, then add your FT username and date flown in the first empty column under User 1, User 2, etc.

If you are first to fly the route then please also fill in the "First Flown" column.

The "Number of times flown" column will automatically do its thing so no need to worry about that.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Must remember this - I’m on the first flight of a summer route this year so should have a decent chance of being the first FTer to record it for the year!
I have included a "Filter" so that it is easy to sort it by flight number whenever anybody adds a new one on.
Need to look into this more, it seems that the filter is user specific.

You just used your first filter view!

Only your view has changed, but the list of filter views is shared with collaborators.

Important: Editing data changes it for everyone.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by shuly

Shuly
YES Please. I have reordered the current ones, but if adding a new flight number please add a new row in the correct location, this will also make checking if the flight had already been added.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I’ve had a go at updating the spreadsheet! Can somebody confirm that I have saved it correctly? BA18 on 2nd January. Also, I couldn’t fathom how to set the date format correctly. i.e. 02-Jan rather than 2/1/20!
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TedToToe
I’ve had a go at updating the spreadsheet! Can somebody confirm that I have saved it correctly? BA18 on 2nd January. Also, I couldn’t fathom how to set the date format correctly. i.e. 02-Jan rather than 2/1/20!
Looks good to me, I will look into seeing if I can get the formatting of the date to do itself automatically too regardless of the input format.

EDIT: It should put the date in the correct format automatically from now on (regardless of how you enter it).
TedToToe likes this.

Last edited by wilsnunn; Jan 5, 2020 at 1:16 pm
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC
Well done for sorting this out! It is looking good already.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Cool idea!
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for life
My IT skills are not up to being able to edit this from my iPhone but I am on BA251 to Santiago (SCL) tonight which isn’t on the list.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I like this however I can't seem to edit the spreadsheet from my mobile phone. It seems to want me to download and install Google docs even though I have it already. As I am on a mobile network I don't want to download again (data speed is a bit slow). Can someone please edit the spreadsheet for me to add:

BA0502 LHR T3 to LIS date flown 4 Jan 2020 AJA_
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by womble88
My IT skills are not up to being able to edit this from my iPhone but I am on BA251 to Santiago (SCL) tonight which isn’t on the list.
Originally Posted by AJA_
I like this however I can't seem to edit the spreadsheet from my mobile phone. It seems to want me to download and install Google docs even though I have it already. As I am on a mobile network I don't want to download again (data speed is a bit slow). Can someone please edit the spreadsheet for me to add:

BA0502 LHR T3 to LIS date flown 4 Jan 2020 AJA_
The mobile issue is something that I hadn't thought of yet, I think that if you download the app then you have to be logged into a Google account - clearly not ideal for the purposes of this. Will look into it.

Have added the flights to the spreadsheet for both of you.
AJA_ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.