Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Nicking of Airline Cutlery, glassware and blankets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nicking of Airline Cutlery, glassware and blankets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
And for what its worth I've witnessed a few (sometimes sharply) declined requests by cabin crew in F. If you think you get your every whim catered to in that cabin you're in for some crushing disappointment.

The guy next to me asked if he could have another bread roll once and was told no, since he's had two already and the rest of the cabin hadn't been served yet. I kid you not! The b@lls on that guy for asking though, eh.

And believe me, even if he'd tried pinning that crew member to the wall by his lapels, I feel certain he wouldn't have budged!
orbitmic and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:08 pm

Well I think some people are quite different on the issue

Originally Posted by xooz
I liken it to someone improving a lie or not counting every stroke... lots of people do, but I do not. And, I prefer to hang out/play with people who would not "cheat" even a little. A lot of rationalizing in this thread.
I consider those who even take extra disposables as shameless thieves slowly depriving us all.

Originally Posted by Momentum57
All the small thefts it add up to discontinuing the niceties. I guess if you feel entitled to take something take it. But dont be surprised at tearing open little paper packets for salt and pepper in the future.
As I said before if you feel so entitled do as you wish.
Magic01273 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:44 pm

On Monday I went to the loo in the 1st lounge and there was no loo roll and no tissues. I thought it was odd but now realise that some had probably pocketed them.

As a future consideration-they do have a lot of tampax and sanitary towels in most airline lounge ladies loos. Ideal for those wanting to save a few bob on a gift for their loved one.

Add a few toothbrushes and toothpaste from the showers and Christmas is covered as well.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Jan 8, 2020 at 5:52 pm
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:38 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
On Monday I went to the loo in the 1st lounge and there was no loo roll and no tissues. I thought it was odd but now realise that some had probably pocketed them.
Where do they keep them? Do they come prepared with room for all these in their carry-on?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by signol

My son has autism, and this is his favourite fork. Every meal he uses it (unless it's in the dishwasher, only if it's dirty will he use another). The kicker, is that we've no idea where it came from. Neither my wife nor I have *ever* flown AA...

signol
Why does everyone have stuff from airlines that they have never flown?

You probably have all my missing socks too.
signol and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:16 pm

Irrespective of the theft (or not) argument which I am not getting into, I do not understand why people desire airline goods/materials - whether it be pens, spoons, pajamas, blankets, amenity kits etc. What is so special about them?

I fly a fair bit, and never take any of the airline materials or provisions. I travel with my own loungewear for all longhaul flights which I change in and out of for each sector, which are longer lasting and much more comfortable/fitting. I bring my own eye mask and (moulded) ear plugs which are infinitely better. I refuse all amenity kits as they are usually low grade tat. I believe there is even a few blogs that give away amenity kits to readers - who actually wants them?

My belief is that more that is consumed, more has to be created, and considering the world we live in reducing demand, however small, is helpful (yes, you may pull me up for being a hypocrite considering my travel agenda).

I do find it all very odd.
:D! and Badenoch like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I refuse all amenity kits as they are usually low grade tat. I believe there is even a few blogs that give away amenity kits to readers - who actually wants them?
Amenity kits are useful so you don't have to go through the work of tracking down travel-sized toiletries.

I just flew SEA-LHR-DEL in F. I obviously wanted a shower at the Concorde Lounge. For some unknown reason they don't have deodorant there. I was very happy that I was able to pull the little deodorant stick out of my BA amenity bag (as, I'm sure, were the people who had to be around me for the next 12 hours)

Yes, I could go and buy travel-sized toothpaste, deodorant, tissues, etc, etc. Or I could just use the ones they give me. The whole point of F is supposed to be that everything is provided and convenient. It's not about saving the $2 that a travel deodorant stick would cost me. It's about saving the time it takes to go buy it.

Also I liked the eye mask a lot. Very comfortable.

No one actually thinks that taking the amenity kits is stealing, do they? They give them to you -- they are yours to take. They wouldn't put them in a handy little travel bag if you weren't meant to take them.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:40 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
When I was a child all our metal cutlery was from Singapore Airlines (economy class).

The cutlery to my simple eye was designed and produced to a high aesthetic and ergonomic standard. I think they were likely nicked when my parents flew SQ to move country 30-40 years ago. The cutlery is still in use and in good condition; I think my parents have not purchased any new cutlery since then...

If I saw a good set of cutlery in use on airlines these days I might be tempted to nick them, but nothing lives up to the standard of SQ Y 30 years ago, and anyway I already found a perfect set which I bought 10 years ago that doesn't need replacing.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Amenity kits are useful so you don't have to go through the work of tracking down travel-sized toiletries.
I bought a set of small bottles and refill them when they run out. I find most airline toothpaste disgusting unless it is Colgate - I did take more Colgate than I needed from previous QR flights which I am slowly using on my other travels.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:42 pm

Programs: QF WP
🤷🏻.♀️
people do all kinds of weird stuff. One of my colleagues spots trains, another collects postage stamps, some people hoard telephone books, others go out every Friday night and get drunk on wine

who are we to judge?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by nancypants
����.♀️
people do all kinds of weird stuff. One of my colleagues spots trains, another collects postage stamps, some people hoard telephone books, others go out every Friday night and get drunk on wine

who are we to judge?

WHO ARE WE TO JUDGE ???

We are Flyertalkers: judging others is in our DNA
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Irrespective of the theft (or not) argument which I am not getting into, I do not understand why people desire airline goods/materials - whether it be pens, spoons, pajamas, blankets, amenity kits etc. What is so special about them?

I fly a fair bit, and never take any of the airline materials or provisions. I travel with my own loungewear for all longhaul flights which I change in and out of for each sector, which are longer lasting and much more comfortable/fitting. I bring my own eye mask and (moulded) ear plugs which are infinitely better. I refuse all amenity kits as they are usually low grade tat. I believe there is even a few blogs that give away amenity kits to readers - who actually wants them?

My belief is that more that is consumed, more has to be created, and considering the world we live in reducing demand, however small, is helpful (yes, you may pull me up for being a hypocrite considering my travel agenda).

I do find it all very odd.
I use the amenity kits for many things, though I do wear them out slower than I get them. For cables and chargers in my carry on, other items I need to get gathered in my carry on or checked luggage. If I don't take the amenity kit with me, it is thrown out by the airline after the flight, and only get a one time use. And I need to buy other items for travel organisers. So from a resource perspective a better way to reuse it. An even better way is to not to get the kit and leave it in the sealed bag if not intending to use the content during flight, or as you do bring your own stuff. I usually do use the content though.

The PJs I bring off the plane to give them a bit of extra life and use, as the airlines will discard them if I leave them (with a few, maybe only one, exceptions) It is just a waste not to use it the number of times the fabric survives laundry. I use them at home, or on flight where I am not offered PJs. Again of course refusing them and bringing your own would be even less wasteful.

Pens I usually take as I loose pens at an alarming rate, so I never carry a quality pen outside my home or away from my desk.

In hotels I usually take what ever toiletries I have opened, to use the remainder rather than having it thrown out. Depends though, some hotels have such terrible products that I might as well leave them to be thrown out, as I would never use them at home.

I do take a pair of hotel slippers with me when leaving if I have a 4+ hour flight where I know I am not going to get any slippers. Similarly, I may take my unused slippers of a flight where I get them, to use on a flight where I don't. Since I wear the slippers to go the the lavatory, I am not keen on stuffing them in to my carry on after the flight. Too many passengers have a surprisingly bad aim, and no desire to rectify the result of that with a bit of toilet paper.

I don't collect any of these things, but if you came to visit and looked at the number of amenity kits and PJs waiting to be worn out that I have, you might actually think I did.
orbitmic and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:53 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
WHO ARE WE TO JUDGE ???

We are Flyertalkers: judging others is in our DNA
yeah and I mean what kind of weirdo buys pens from dollar tree anyway
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Too many passengers have a surprisingly bad aim, and no desire to rectify the result of that with a bit of toilet paper.
One thing I learned in prison is sitting down to pee cuts down on cleaning and you get in more reading.
CPH-Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Momentum57
One thing I learned in prison is sitting down to pee cuts down on cleaning and you get in more reading.
Except the reading part, I wish more people would take this to heart when flying.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Before Mrs Deepbluetee came along, I used to keep unopened F/J amenity bags in my bathroom cupboard in case any unexpected guests stayed over. I won't explain my system for deciding who got the F ones and who got the ones from J.
adrianlondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.