Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA in the media | master thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2023, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
We have seen the press reports, were there any other snippets that the judge mentioned that were not reported? The reason I ask is that there are plenty of people who ended up with vouchers and who cannot easily use them.

Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum, well done for persisting with the matter.
The bits I can remember that are relevant are
- under the law I used, it doesnt matter that I asked for the voucher before my flight was due to leave
- under the law I used, it doesnt matter whether my flight operated or was cancelled
- there was no refund option or info on the travel voucher page therefore my rights were not clear to me at the time
- BA created a windfall for themselves

Ive set up a FB group to try and help other people but I think claims are limited by:
- the law Ive used applies in England and Wales, not sure what provisions are in other countries
- my requesting of the refund and my flight dates were both within the time that it was illegal to travel abroad

BA have agreed to give some people refunds who have contacted them directly, quoted my case and law without going to court, though they havent changed the guidance on their website.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 6:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
In the reporting it suggests that some of your argument was destination specific, i.e. your original booking was for Japan, and by the time of the initial validity of the vouchers you still couldn't go (I think December 2020 is mentioned, albeit voucher validity was subsequently extended a few times and is now September 2023).

Did this issue play much part in the judgement?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
In the reporting it suggests that some of your argument was destination specific, i.e. your original booking was for Japan, and by the time of the initial validity of the vouchers you still couldn't go (I think December 2020 is mentioned, albeit voucher validity was subsequently extended a few times and is now September 2023).

Did this issue play much part in the judgement?
no, my destination being shut until November 2022 wasnt part of my legal argument, therefore not part of the judgment.

It was, however, part of the reason that I really wanted to convert that voucher to a full refund. I hadnt bought 2100 or so of travel to any destination, I wanted to go to Japan. I just had to find a reason in law to justify my arsiness
Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Travel blogger flies LHR-DUB on a 777 in CE and bags an F seat...

'Totally surreal': Travel blogger films his trip in FIRST CLASS on a BA 777 from Heathrow to Dublin | Daily Mail Online
Old Mar 14, 2023, 1:42 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-truths/ba-needs-get-act-together-fast/ - paywalled, nothing here that most on this forum won't be familiar with. I agree with the last two sentences of this part.

Service is crucial to BA because it will never be able to compete with the facilities aboard the planes of its deep-pocketed competitors, such as Emirates, Qatar Airways or Etihad, all of which offer bars and showers. But, in theory at least, BA can beat them on service. Because the Gulf carriers are so international, they lack personality. Great staff with distinctive British wit and character can make the difference as anyone who has flown on Virgin Atlantic knows.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 2:33 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by visit14
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-truths/ba-needs-get-act-together-fast/ - paywalled, nothing here that most on this forum won't be familiar with. I agree with the last two sentences of this part.
I had a screen shot sent to me today showing the full article.

The writer is one hundred percent correct.

In the rush to recruit cabin crew after Covid, the bar has clearly been lowered when it comes to quality. I see this every day.

Another issue is crew performance. There is and has been for a while now a climate of molly coddling under performing crew.

Instead of being challenged, the mantra is now “ are you ok? are you needing support? , “ how is your mental health?”

This whole new “soft” way of working is now coming back to bite BA in the rear end.

It would seem that IFCE are more interested in Gender Network Groups, Our Worldwide women groups and Red Nose Day instead of how our customers are being treated onboard. So sad.

Last edited by Ian429; Mar 14, 2023 at 2:35 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 21, 2023, 8:30 am

Three-Quarters of British Airways Employees Wouldn’t Recommend the Airline as a Good Place to Work

“Almost three-quarters of you don’t agree that the changes we’re making are right for our colleagues,” Doyle complained in an internal memo.

“Our airline, business and culture are transforming and we must remain profitable so our shareholders continue to invest in our future and so that we’re able to compete with other airlines.”

Describing the last few years as “turbulent”, Doyle said the airline was now “determined” to make changes that employees say are important to them.
​​​​​​​
Three-Quarters of British Airways Employees Wouldn't Recommend the Airline as a Good Place to Work (paddleyourownkanoo.com)
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Interesting piece about missing Avios points for BAEC members in this week's This Is Money podcast. 35 mins in.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 2:54 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
What is the story do you know? I am not sure missing avios points rings a bell with me atm on ba issues.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 3:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Chammer
Interesting piece about missing Avios points for BAEC members in this week's This Is Money podcast. 35 mins in.
Originally Posted by KARFA
What is the story do you know? I am not sure missing avios points rings a bell with me atm on ba issues.
It's a story about a BA customer who had their Avios account locked due to suspicious activity. The account had ~650,000 Avios. Locked out for months with no response from BA and then they went to the journalist. The journalist found that it was apparently human error and someone at BA 'forgot' to get back to the customer. It's now been unlocked.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...y-podcast.html (35 mins in as stated above).
adrianlondon, alex67500 and KARFA like this.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 12:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
On the front page of The Times today is a report that our dear friends at HAL approached the Palace to ask whether it was OK to rename LHR T5 as the "King Charles Terminal", in the style of The Queen's Terminal for LHR T2. His Majesty was distinctly unflattered by this suggestion and politely indicated he did not think it was a good idea (encoded version: "reluctant to accept"). Two areas of concern, the King's long-standing advocacy of environmental concerns, plus the potential conflict of interest if he actually went through T5. Sensible chap.

Paywall link:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/k...2023-99jdrflx9
adrianlondon, PETER01 and AJA_ like this.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 1:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I think it's wise and I agree he declined as per your points.

The popularity of the Royals has dwindled over the years and many think actual the whole concept of a Royal family is wrong/out of date etc and of course there are many debates for and against. Reading the news I think Charles plans to downsize things however I'm heading into OMNI territory here so I'll leave this post at that.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 2:17 am

I don't get all this naming stuff because after a regent, mayor, legend etc. If you fund the thing, you have the right to stick whatever name you wish on it - see colleges and research institutions for that one. It seems to be an imported thing - yes there are examples in the UK - John Lennon airport etc. but all relatively new (we don't have "William's Tower of London" or "Wolsey's Hampton Court") and thankfully, limited in number.. I don't see how renaming T5 would be a) right, b) have any value. Anyway, back to work I go.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
... plus the potential conflict of interest if he actually went through T5. Sensible chap
It would make the DYKWIA thread even more interesting.

"Some old guy barged past me saying the entire terminal was his and he should be able to board first!".
SxMan, Akoz and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 10:10 am

MailOnline goes behind the scenes at British Airways' first-class cabin-crew training centre | Daily Mail Online

To earn a place on the 12-person course, cabin crew must submit a 1,000-word essay about why they want to participate. Currently, the eight courses per month are only open to cabin crew who have previous experience in first class.

Though it's in its infancy, the course already seems to be showing signs of success. Right after completing the training, a recent attendee was handed a golden ticket - an award frequent flyers can bestow upon crewmembers for exceptional service. David says you see a 'complete difference' in cabin crew's service from the beginning of the course to the end.

Master of Wine Tim Jackson, who curates all BA's wine lists
TrainDriverSparky likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.