Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2020 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The Air Passenger Rights and Air Travel Organisers’ Licensing (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019

Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
787 cancellations due to Trent engine issues - CEDR ruling information from the post in the 2018 thread and onwards.

For the 2019 thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1948451-2019-ba-compensation-thread-your-guide-regulation-ec261-2004-a.html

Print Wikipost

The 2020 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by davewho??
That's a great data point Happychick,

I was on BA268, so the return to London. At first I was denied, then I called to challenge their decision. After a couple of calls I was informed they would be honoring my claim, admitting they made an error in their original response. I'm waiting for the money to arrive in my account.

The question I have is, If I hadn't challenged their decision, would they have proactively reached out to rectify their decision?
Senor you know the answer to this like thousands of others. It is clearly a matter of policy with BA to deny, deny all EU261 claims at first submission. Relying on only a proporation of claimants being willing/able/knowledgeable to pursue and secure their legally-mandated compensation. I am sure somewhere in BA there is an inverse "denied comp" metric for sector managers, where at monthly meetings each manager presents "32.1 percent of ORD-originating EU261 claims have been paid" - meaning, 67.9 percent have not. We can guess which metric is used by management for their own reward, lol!

It is true that not only BA do this, also LX and IB are the worst. However, this goes far beyond FT. All media are full of disgruntled customers who file such claims and are denied at first. BA's knowing noncompliance with the law are on a scale and with frequency that require enforcement action.

BUUT...UK is no longer EU...so who to enforce?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If your home is Israel then I guess it makes sense to use the Israeli system, but if you are not then it makes more sense to claim EC261. As far as I can tell there is no way to avoid EC261, you can insist on that, but equally BA aren't going to entertain someone claiming for both. So I would make a simple claim, I would not reference the Israeli protection, and just keep it short. Give the dates, flight numbers and delay time at MEX and leave it at that.
Thanks corporate-wage-slave for the guidance - that was my inclination so will follow that path of assumed least resistance and see how long it takes to achieve success.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It is absolutly not BA policy to deny all claims on first submission. There are plenty of posts in EU261 threads where people have reported that their claim was NOT met with a refusal.

There are plenty of posts of people coming here to ask for advice before submitting their cliam who then submit their claim then report back that BA have paid up.

Brexit has no effect as EU261 is part of UK law and has been since 2005. Brexit does not suddenly invalidate that law.
cbagent likes this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Feb 6, 2020 at 3:25 pm Reason: edit - to add a NOT!
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
It is absolutly not BA policy to deny all claims on first submission. There are plenty of posts in EU261 threads where people have reported that their claim was met with a refusal.

There are plenty of posts of people coming here to ask for advice before submitting their cliam who then submit their claim then report back that BA have paid up....
I’ve had one complex case which was refused and I had to go all the way to CEDR to get compensation and also one simple case which was paid without question, so at both ends of the spectrum. So my view is complex cases where BA can be obfuscatious will get refused.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Feb 7, 2020 at 1:43 am
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:07 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
EDIT N/A apologies

Last edited by PxC; Feb 6, 2020 at 9:24 pm
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:18 am

Programs: SQ*G BA GGL/CCR
Downgrade comp not available until return leg is flown

I spoke to customer relations about my downgraded flight CPT-LHR. They said that they can only calculate the downgrade comp amount once I have flown the return flight (in September). So I should come back then. Is this true?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:08 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
460 to Madrid yesterday. First refusal due to weather in Madrid which is a total lie
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SQjunkie
I spoke to customer relations about my downgraded flight CPT-LHR. They said that they can only calculate the downgrade comp amount once I have flown the return flight (in September). So I should come back then. Is this true?
That is essentially correct since it's possible that (e.g.) you don't fly the return and get a refund / it's cancelled etc. This could then possibly change the Mennens formula calculation, but more importantly for BA's perspective it would change their internal involuntary fare recalculation.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Originally Posted by leland
Thanks corporate-wage-slave for the guidance - that was my inclination so will follow that path of assumed least resistance and see how long it takes to achieve success.
Reporting back, submitted yesterday, claim approved today and money on the way. One datapoint to add that the first response is not to deny, however my case was relatively straightforward.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: SQ*G BA GGL/CCR
That is essentially correct since it's possible that (e.g.) you don't fly the return and get a refund / it's cancelled etc. This could then possibly change the Mennens formula calculation, but more importantly for BA's perspective it would change their internal involuntary fare recalculation.
Thanks. Will set a reminder to revisit in September!
Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
No changes, EC261 has long been UK law and will remain so until Parliament changes the law. There is no such law change in the Queen's Speech, nor is there anything being drafted.
A quick query on this ... does EU261 as part of UK law relate specifically to UK carriers, more generally to EU carriers or both?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by serfty
A quick query on this ... does EU261 as part of UK law relate specifically to UK carriers, more generally to EU carriers or both?
It applies to UK, EU and where applicable non-EU carriers, there are no changes at all. The only thing that could change is that from 1 January 2021 future judgments of the CJEU will not necessarily be binding in the UK, they may require an appellate court in the UK to give a judgement or endorsement. This appellate court may well regard the CJEU's analysis as persuasive.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
corporate-wage-slave Thankyou.

So barring future legislative changes, a BA flight departing CDG will be subject to the same/identical air passenger rights regulation as a BA flight departing LGW.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
So barring future legislative changes, a BA flight departing CDG will be subject to the same/identical air passenger rights regulation as a BA flight departing LGW.
Yes and barring any hypothetical future divergence of judicial interpretation between UK and (most of) the rest of Europe.
serfty likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
deleted - wrong thread - sorry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.