Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Holidays - minor as sole traveller?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC
I believe 14 is the minimum age, not 12... At least it was last year.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
BAH won't knowingly do a booking that they know does not meet the hotel requirements.
Not knowingly, indeed. The key point for me is, if a minor presents themselves for the flight checkin, will they be accepted, or is there some flag in the flight booking mandating that the travelling passenger must be 18+ ?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Kruisler
I believe 14 is the minimum age, not 12... At least it was last year.
Yes, it is 14, unfortunately.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...avelling-alone
Old Dec 23, 2019, 4:33 am

I'm not sure if anyone can give a definite answer here. Even if someone on the forum does state that what you plan will not be a problem there is still a possibility that the minor is denied boarding because of the mismatch in booking and passport.

OP you need to ask yourself this question

"What will I do if the minor is denied at check-in or boarding?"
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by bricksoft
I'm not sure if anyone can give a definite answer here. Even if someone on the forum does state that what you plan will not be a problem there is still a possibility that the minor is denied boarding because of the mismatch in booking and passport.

OP you need to ask yourself this question

I assume people mistype date of birth, passport number, passport expiry etc relatively frequently into flight booking websites, and it just gets corrected when the passport is presented at check-in. I still wouldn't risk it though!
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm not sure if anyone can give a definite answer here.
I disagree. Given the savings to be made on these types of bookings, I am certain that someone here has experience of this, that's exactly why I am asking here - this forum has immense collective knowledge and experience.

Indeed, and as a responsible adult, I am mulling contingencies for that happening. But I'm not here asking about that, I source my parenting advice from mumsnet
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by polemarch
I disagree. Given the savings to be made on these types of bookings, I am certain that someone here has experience of this, that's exactly why I am asking here - this forum has immense collective knowledge and experience.

Indeed, and as a responsible adult, I am mulling contingencies for that happening. But I'm not here asking about that, I source my parenting advice from mumsnet
That is exactly what you cannot get here. You have the correct and definitive answer from BAH.

It is also likely the case that most experienced travelers have had an occurrence which should not have happened, whether positive or negative. But, I would not extrapolate that to a fact one can use to determine whether it is actionable going forward.

People manage to board flights without proper visas and then manage to talk their way through passport control at their destination. Others are denied boarding. There is no takeaway from this.

Your problem is that if the minor presents himself and is denied for failure to comply with the contract, the booking may be cancelled and you will be left to purchase a new ticket at walk-up prices. Thus, the risk issue here runs from nil to full fare.
orbitmic and windowontheAside like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Once the OP says they are willing to fudge a date of birth then it is not possible to give a definitive answer. Each to their own but if the minor has not given explicit agreement then a massive no no.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Things seem to have gone a little quiet on this thread - perhaps the OP would like to update us on his progress.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Brighterside
Things seem to have gone a little quiet on this thread - perhaps the OP would like to update us on his progress.
Or perhaps it's time to start the sequel:

BA Holidays - majoring as a sole traveler

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.