BA Holidays - minor as sole traveller?

Old Dec 20, 2019, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
BA Holidays - minor as sole traveller?

BA Holidays bookings state that all travellers must be adults.

If I book a flight + car/hotel package for a 16yo relative, never intending to use the car/hotel, would there realistically be any issue with the child taking the flights?

Thanks!

Last edited by polemarch; Dec 20, 2019 at 6:49 am
Old Dec 22, 2019, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Bumping this. Anyone have any experience?

It would necessitate making a typo on the date of birth during the booking. Could that simply be corrected during check in? Or would the flight component somehow flag up as being only valid for someone 18+ ?
Old Dec 22, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Personally, I wouldn't do it. I don't like these kind of risks... even more since it's not a mistake in the booking, but done on purpose.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 3:06 am

Do you know why it states that? Surely BA Holidays includes holidays for kids so it cant be a blanket ban. Is there something about your selection which is triggering the restriction?
Old Dec 22, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
BAH terms don’t state that all passengers must be adults. They state

5.8. The person who makes or pays for the booking must be at least 18 years old. Some hotels and other suppliers may require some or all of your group to be at least a particular age, or for at least one person in each room to be of at least a particular age. The majority of hotels in the USA for example impose a limit of 21 years old. To check a specific hotel’s policy, please contact us.
I read the OP before it was edited, the situation is a little more convoluted than it now reads, but I will leave it to the OP to decide if they wish to disclose that.

OP - there is unlikely to be any issue per se with taking the flight and not using the hotel, if you can get BAH to accept the booking in your situation.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Do you know why it states that? Surely BA Holidays includes holidays for kids so it can’t be a blanket ban. Is there something about your selection which is triggering the restriction?
I don't think any of the BA holidays can be booked without an adult aged 18+ in the booking.

If I were the OP, I'd call BA holiday again and ask if they would be able to book with only the child flying but the room for two people including the adults. It might (or might not) resolve the problem.

PS: I think it is unwise of the OP to have edited his OP as mentioned by Oaxaca. I think it now misses some crucial information which I too read and which may lead people to give advice that would be right for the new text but wrong for the OP's situation.
Lefly, nancypants and Silver Fox like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 22, 2019 at 3:51 am
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I don't think any of the BA holidays can be booked without an adult aged 18+ in the booking.
I cant recall what the original post said but didnt realise it would be *only* the under-18 travelling (maybe it was clear and I just misread).

In any case my guess it would probably work for the flights but not something Id necessarily want to try.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I cant recall what the original post said but didnt realise it would be *only* the under-18 travelling (maybe it was clear and I just misread).

In any case my guess it would probably work for the flights but not something Id necessarily want to try.
this is exactly the problem with the edit- it wont be only an under 18 travelling but the over 18 will be on a separate flight only booking
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The original OP said something about could they book a 'holiday' for the 16 year old and would the OP as an adult (and on a separate flight only booking) be able to check into the room - because they actually needed the room and not as a ploy to simply reduce the price - thus meeting the need to have someone over 18 in the room.

OP has not helped themselves to get accurate answers by changing the entire premise of the post.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
OP has not helped themselves to get accurate answers by changing the entire premise of the post.
Thanks for the feedback. After a couple of days, my original post had numerous views but no responses - I concluded that the lengthy post and complex situation were behind this.

Having now made alternative accommodation plans, I only need to understand if it would be possible to use the flight element of a BAH booking (for a minor, the sole passenger on that booking), and sacrifice/abandon the room element. My edited post seeks to simplify and clarify this as it is now the crux of my question.

Can I make a BAH flight+hotel package for a minor, fudge the year of birth to process the booking, and have them present themselves at checkin assuming the agent will just swipe their passport and update the DOB (with no intention of using the hotel element of the package). I can't imagine that the flight booking would have any age 'tag' on it, and that taking the flights by themselves would be fine, but I want to know if anyone has experience of doing this (since we know that BAH bookings can be cheaper than flight only bookings, I am sure some enterprising soul has tried it!)

Thanks!

Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
My guess is that what might lead to trouble here is not the under-18 traveller flying, or even staying (or not) in the bundled hotel, reducing the price. But showing up for check-in, with age under legal driving to get yet another bundle reduction of ticket price, by having a car reserved, for a single traveller not of driving age, would have more than one warning bell chiming.

My advice: Don't expose your kid to this risk/hassle
orbitmic and Silver Fox like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:32 pm

Don’t ‘fudge’ anything.... Have you actually spoken to BA Holidays?
Silver Fox and orbitmic like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by onobond

My advice: Don't expose your kid to this risk/hassle
That would be my advice too. How will you feel if a 17 year old end up facing worrying problems at the airport because of something you effectively chose to do? As mentioned in my earlier post, I'd personally call the BA holiday team and ask if changing the booking to include the minor's flight only but a room for you both would solve the problem and if not ask them what they suggest. They are generally competent and helpful, and frankly, creating unnecessary potential trouble for a minor unlikely to be best equipped (either technically or emotionally) to deal with them is not the best course of action in my view.
Anonba likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the frank opinions.

Yes, I have spoken to BAH, they won't budge and say "not allowed"

The minor wouldn't be alone, I am travelling on the same flights on a separate flight only booking.

I'm exploring this option since the alternative will cost me an additional ~1300

Still interested to know if anyone has actual experience of doing this, thanks (and Merry Christmas!)
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The issue isn't the flight - over 12's can fly on their own - but as you've seen it's the hotel element - and being able to book it - that is the restriction.

Have people bought a holiday and not used the car or hotel element then yes but the examples we see on here involve adults so the booking meets the restrictions (there may be <18s on the booking but that's not the same as what you want to do).

BAH won't knowingly do a booking that they know does not meet the hotel requirements.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.