Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flounge Gossip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I saw some people wandering around the shower area yesterday who were on some sort of "tour".

I've said in a previous thread that at the very least (plus extra bits):

Lose the champagne bar and convert that into a few shower suites. Wall off the existing suites and merge them into the CCR making dedicated suites / cabanas there.
Halve the size of the toilets. They're too big and if you had ones like at GOT (but with mirrors in them), that would help a bit.
Power points, especially USB everywhere.
Closed fridges so that drinks aren't at room temperature most of the time (although some of this is due to restocking).
Is the business area utilised that much? At the very least, they could reduce the space there with more private pods rather than a load of PCs that the average person wouldn't be using especially for work purposes.
The BA help desk is in the wrong place. Couldn't someone at the front desks deal with issues? Never seems to be more than 1 person at a time there, and not too frequent at that.

Different lounge, but why the white gravel stuff from the entrance / A380 model to the lounge above GF to roughly where the terrace is? Surely that could be utilised providing a lot of well needed space up there.

Coffee machines that do more than 3-4 basics drinks.
Soda / soft drink machines, or even fountains as in US lounges rather than small cans. May save a lot of wastage, and since they're possibly getting a good deal on stock from Coca Cola, won't change much.

Not sure why the scones and cakes are now down the far end of the dining are from the hot food? Perhaps catering for those who want afternoon tea / cake with their coffee?
Same with champagne. You have to go half way across the lounge to get a glass when dining.
MaxFlyer likes this.

Last edited by xenole; Dec 11, 2019 at 12:04 pm
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mhy
I love the horses. So quirky and British
Aren't they Swedish?

Title
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
which begs the question why not offer both?
One of my questions was whether I'd prefer to have the free treatments with the option of an add on for Ģ10

I actually said I'd prefer to have a gym area
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TTmex
I'll flip him a whatsapp and ask
Apprently the story behind them was mainly about choosing items that were quirky and "avant garde" for the lounges. The actual 'why a horse' question would need deeper investigation
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i think the horse lamps made a splash at some italian art show in the mid-2000s and became "a thing" .... which at more than 4000GBP per lamp is quite the splash.

i like them, and we have two in our office reception...which makes me think more of the lounge and my next trip whilst at work...so maybe i just have positive associations with them now
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by VSLover
i think the horse lamps made a splash at some italian art show in the mid-2000s and became "a thing" .... which at more than 4000GBP per lamp is quite the splash.

i like them, and we have two in our office reception...which makes me think more of the lounge and my next trip whilst at work...so maybe i just have positive associations with them now
The horselamps are quite odd. Although not as odd as the decapitated teddy bear lamps that you often see in those overpriced boutique/novelty shops.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUCK-UK-Teddy-Bear-Lamp/dp/B001L1406C/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=Teddy+Bear+Lamp&qid=1576106148&sr=8-3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUCK-UK-Teddy-Bear-Lamp/dp/B001L1406C/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=Teddy+Bear+Lamp&qid=1576106148&sr=8-3
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: Confirmed
Installing a fresh orange juicer?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Watch this space. Or maybe not this precise space, but a similar space.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by gliderpilot
decapitated teddy bear lamps
Enlightened minds?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
A teddy bear lamp like the one in DOH would make an interesting feature in the middle of the lounge.

Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
A teddy bear lamp like the one in DOH would make an interesting feature in the middle of the lounge.

I never feel the need to firebomb things, but in the rare occasions I pass through DOH I have to make an extra effort not to build a Molotov out of some duty free alcohol and torch this bear.

Anything, including a bronze statue of Alex Cruz on horseback wearing his tabard, would be preferable.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by 13901
I never feel the need to firebomb things, but in the rare occasions I pass through DOH I have to make an extra effort not to build a Molotov out of some duty free alcohol and torch this bear.

Anything, including a bronze statue of Alex Cruz on horseback wearing his tabard, would be preferable.
Its horribly creepy!
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
It doesn’t have a proper bear nose for a start.
aks120 and T8191 like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Its horribly creepy!
As an arctophile, I find it utterly distasteful and inappropriate. There are things one might do with a teddy bear, but this is certainly not one of them!

And ... harrumph!
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by 13901

I agree that teddy bear has had his day and a replacement is overdue.

I was with you until you painted that very troubling image of Seņor Alex. It would be way too scary - especially for small children.
wrp96 and 13901 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.