Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If i'm delayed more than 3 hours?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Originally Posted by FEMW
A friend is in CDG trying to go on holiday to Bogotá. Due to all the delays due to the strike - they finally got to board at 2130 (French time - original dep 1700) only for the aircraft to go tech - is that a lucky EU261??
After sitting on the ground for 3 hours - they’ve now been offloaded and waiting for coaches to take to hotels. I’m encouraging them to apply for EU261
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:00 pm

After sitting on the ground for 3 hours - they’ve now been offloaded and waiting for coaches to take to hotels. I’m encouraging them to apply for EU261
Thanks for the updates but as BA don't fly from Paris to Bogota this is of little relevance to most people here.
Perhaps theres an equivalent thread on the AF/AV forums that would be more appropriate?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by madfish
The BA1488 STD was 1720 now looking at 2020...

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Dec 6, 2019 at 6:48 pm
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
What I am seeing is an arrival delay of 3 hours and 10 minutes which MAY mean you are entitled to some compensation, depending ion the reason for the delay. I have no doubt rhat BA will claim this was due to ATC or weather or the steike in france, or a combination of theae.

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...tId=1023550157
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
What I am seeing is an arrival delay of 3 hours and 10 minutes which MAY mean you are entitled to some compensation, depending ion the reason for the delay. I have no doubt rhat BA will claim this was due to ATC or weather or the steike in france, or a combination of theae.

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...tId=1023550157
Although I might be surprised, I can certainly see a fight for this one. In terms of actual arrival time it’s an open and shut case, but as you say it depends on the reasoning. The actual aircraft was on the ground at LHR for around 6 hours. The fact it came in from France is irrelevantly. Yes, they could argue that this plane was switched in for one delayed by the strikes. They could also argue the operating crews were also delayed because of these strikes.

I think the standard advice to the OP and to anybody else in a similar situation is to gather as much information now whilst it is readily available, e.g. departures and arrival information at LHR for the day in question, etc.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
Thanks for the replies.

There was no mention of weather or the atc action being a factor. The captain did say when we boarded, the aircraft had been at Heathrow the whole time, a tug had been attached to tow it to gate, then there was an issue with the tug, and there were no spare tugs (sounds dubious), which caused an extensive delay.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
Thanks for the replies.

There was no mention of weather or the atc action being a factor. The captain did say when we boarded, the aircraft had been at Heathrow the whole time, a tug had been attached to tow it to gate, then there was an issue with the tug, and there were no spare tugs (sounds dubious), which caused an extensive delay.
It can be true (as the no spare one) as if all the other tugs are assigned to aircraft pushbacks and other works then it can take a while to find and schedule an another one. In most airports (I bet in LHR the same) the tug operations has the lowest priority to move around the airports hence if the tug miss it slot then just have to wait a long time. Don't forget LHR not just running in max as the take off and landing slots but tugs, busses, de-icing, etc the same. The other day we had to wait for about 20-30 min to a bus turn up at a remote gate. And only one bus turned up so I believe the second and third part of the cabin had to wait that this bus goes back and pick them up too.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Just a quick update.

I filled out the online form on Saturday AM.

I've had an email from BA, confirming compensation will be paid in 7-10 days.

A surprisingly unpainful process.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:20 am

Location: Mainly East but sometimes South and occasionally West
Programs: BA Silver
Thanks for the replies.

Why would the captain 'make it up'?
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wandered
Why would the captain 'make it up'?
I never said he made it up, I just though it odd, it would take 3 hours to get another tug. (maybe it's not that uncommon?)
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Thanks for the updates but as BA don't fly from Paris to Bogota this is of little relevance to most people here.
Perhaps theres an equivalent thread on the AF/AV forums that would be more appropriate?
I am aware of that. Have you seen how little traffic there is on the AF forum? The AF forum is nowhere near the calibre of BAEC and the fabulous Dashboard!
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just a quick update.

I filled out the online form on Saturday AM.

I've had an email from BA, confirming compensation will be paid in 7-10 days.

A surprisingly unpainful process.
I wonder if the same aircraft operating the return flight back to LHR was delayed 3 hours as well?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I wonder if the same aircraft operating the return flight back to LHR was delayed 3 hours as well?
G-MEDM made up a little bit of time on the way back. Due in LHR at 21:00 she was on stand at 23:41
HIDDY likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I am aware of that. Have you seen how little traffic there is on the AF forum? The AF forum is nowhere near the calibre of BAEC and the fabulous Dashboard!
Traffic generates traffic. People can't answer questions if other people don't post them.

Perhaps you could volunteer to start an AF dashboard?
1Aturnleft likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.