Wiki Posts
Search

If i'm delayed more than 3 hours?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
If i'm delayed more than 3 hours?

Which I will be by the time I get out of Heathrow tonight.

Having been fortunate enough not to have had this happen to me before, what's the story re compensation for such a delay?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Depends on what caused the delay. But if it is the ATC strike in France, there isn't any compensation in most cases (there are a few potential exceptions depending on specific details). More information in the main EC261 thread, which on the rare occasions that it isn't near the top of the forum list, can also be found via the BA Forum Dashboard.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Have a look at this thread which is linked in the Dashboard:
The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Depends on what caused the delay. But if it is the ATC strike in France, there isn't any compensation in most cases (there are a few potential exceptions depending on specific details). More information in the main EC261 thread, which on the rare occasions that it isn't near the top of the forum list, can also be found via the BA Forum Dashboard.
Domestic flight to Glasgow.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
Help me a little bit. Is this BA1488? And what have you been told so far as to the reason for the delay? If you've not heard anything, then when the captain makes his or her post-boarding announcement, the reason will almost always be given.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
The BA1488 STD was 1720 now looking at 2020. But it is door open at arrival that counts.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It doesn't really give the reason for the cancellation. For instance, the inbound plane may have been delayed by said strike in which case BA will claim that no compensation is due.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
And if it is G-MEDM as shown on Flightradar24. This landed from LYS quite some time ago. Although it may not have been the original planned plane.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

I'm on board now, the captain has now said a tug tried to tow an aircraft 3 hours ago and there was an issue? (Cant say I'm believing that)

As of now, we're told another 20 mins until departure.

Yes BA1488
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:25 pm

Which I will be by the time I get out of Heathrow tonight.

Having been fortunate enough not to have had this happen to me before, what's the story re compensation for such a delay?
You get absolutely nothing for a 3 hr departure delay. Door open on arrival 3 hours delayed and you are inEU261 territory.
Thrifty Scotsman likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rapidex
You get absolutely nothing for a 3 hr departure delay. Door open on arrival 3 hours delayed and you are inEU261 territory.
Yeah I get that, but was I've not taken off and I was supposed to be on the ground at 18.43, they'll be doing well to avoid it 🤣
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A friend is in CDG trying to go on holiday to Bogotá. Due to all the delays due to the strike - they finally got to board at 2130 (French time - original dep 1700) only for the aircraft to go tech - is that a lucky EU261??
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by FEMW
A friend is in CDG trying to go on holiday to Bogotá. Due to all the delays due to the strike - they finally got to board at 2130 (French time - original dep 1700) only for the aircraft to go tech - is that a lucky EU261??
I'm not sure I would use the word lucky here, but if the technical delay is more than 3 hours on its own, then Article 7 may apply.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Bronze-soon to be Silver!
Perhaps our OP will be docked for a redundant avatar?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
nancypants and TTmex like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flygeblad
Perhaps our OP will be docked for a redundant avatar?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Looks like i may be a few quid up...so dock away
Modo and TTmex like this.

Last edited by Thrifty Scotsman; Dec 6, 2019 at 4:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.