FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BAEC luggage tags: practical utility or personal statement? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1996669-baec-luggage-tags-practical-utility-personal-statement.html)

firstlight Oct 9, 2021 1:13 am

It seems about time to resurrect this thread to discuss how the move to digital tags during the pandemic and lack of ability to order new ones is affecting bag tag displays now we are all getting back to flying again.

luggage handling systems seem to trash about one out of 5 tags on hold luggage in my experience so will we see their gradual disappearance ?

BESTEDIFLYER Oct 9, 2021 1:46 am

My bronze and silver ones are tucked safely in a drawer, I have old KLM silver ones that I use.

T8191 Oct 9, 2021 3:54 am

Originally Posted by firstlight (Post 33629983)
It seems about time to resurrect this thread to discuss how the move to digital tags during the pandemic and lack of ability to order new ones is affecting bag tag displays now we are all getting back to flying again.

luggage handling systems seem to trash about one out of 5 tags on hold luggage in my experience so will we see their gradual disappearance ?

As a Proud Dinosaur I have no intention of spending my hard-earned pensions on electronic stuff ... especially as Lady T will also need them. And we sometimes travelled with 4 hold-bags, in the good old days.

However, the baggage-mangling reveals an interesting statistic. Why, despite having identical cases, is it always HER bag-tag that gets mangled, while mine survive? Why not Me Too? Anyway, I always have a couple of spare tags in the travel wallet!

firstlight Oct 9, 2021 4:04 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 33630138)
As a Proud Dinosaur I have no intention of spending my hard-earned pensions on electronic stuff ... especially as Lady T will also need them. And we sometimes travelled with 4 hold-bags, in the good old days.

However, the baggage-mangling reveals an interesting statistic. Why, despite having identical cases, is it always HER bag-tag that gets mangled, while mine survive? Why not Me Too? Anyway, I always have a couple of spare tags in the travel wallet!

It's because they know who you are that your bags are personally handled with operatives wearing white gloves and clean overalls. The award of a MUCCI has to be worth something after all!

Frequentflyer99 Jan 3, 2022 11:21 am

What's the view about using pale grey leather Concorde tags, or the old style burgundy leather F tags on hand luggage? I have a collection that are gathering dust.

How's that for show-offiness (they were collected on flights not bought on ebay !) - I have donned my flame-retardant costume before posting ....

noFODplease Jan 3, 2022 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99 (Post 33867142)
What's the view about using pale grey leather Concorde tags, or the old style burgundy leather F tags on hand luggage? I have a collection that are gathering dust.

How's that for show-offiness (they were collected on flights not bought on ebay !) - I have donned my flame-retardant costume before posting ....

Who on earth cares what other people on the plane think? Do they trigger good memories? Make you feel successful? Do it. Do whatever makes you happy.

I take a lot of pleasure from being Gold. I never thought I’d achieve it. And I tag my bags.

Anyone who is triggered by my using of a piece of plastic given to me by the airline for that specific purpose - has complex self esteem issues.

T8191 Jan 3, 2022 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99 (Post 33867142)

It’’s a luggage tag that identifies the owner. Who cares what it is/says?
Oh, wait … loads of people here do, apparently. Oh dear.
💤

Oxnardjan Jan 10, 2022 6:24 am

deleted

ThatT1Feeling Jan 10, 2022 7:27 am

Whilst I do have a Gold tag available if there’s a risk of any unwelcome gate-checking, the one I use most frequently for my luggage is this one.
It’s not as relevant as it used to be but sometimes raises a smile from the more experienced crew. My last name and BAEC number are on the reverse. My son has one which rather appropriately just says “muppet” 😄

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9ec6d1fa5.jpeg

sethb Jan 10, 2022 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by GGL Flyer (Post 31775216)
The only time a tag should be used (IMHO) is on checked luggage. People that put them on their cabin baggage strike me as people who think to have a shiny gold or silver tag makes them look more important :rolleyes:

If you guarantee that my bag won't be gate-checked I'll be glad to remove the tags.

jahason Jan 11, 2022 3:08 am

It is an ego thing and for this reason I put it on the bag I took to work. To let my senior directors know that I might be a field worker but I have a gold tag and they don't. :)

nldogbert Jan 11, 2022 3:27 am

At least based on my experience (not BA specific) - it is at times useful to have it either on checked or cabin bags - a few times in my travels the last few years, they do come in helpful when using the priority check-in counters. Most noticeable experience
- using the SkyPriority area at AMS - as those who fly often from here, they do have someone standing to filter eligible pax using it and most of the time, when approaching or passing them, when they see the tags, they just wave me through
- a few times, I noticed that I even at the First check-in area at T5, after a quick glance and they see my Gold tag I am greeted with a Welcome if there's a staff before entering the area
- at a few outstation, after asking and seeing the tags on the bag, they usually don't ask for more evidence of using the priority check-in area/counter.
- a few times, at the gate when they are looking for bags to gate-check, normally with the tag, they do tend to avoid that from happening

Just a few experience from my side - for me, as long as it's not over the top (I have seen especially in the US) pax with a bunch of these tags on their bags - not sure if it's for DYKWIA reason or nostalgic reason to hang year after year the new tags that they receive.

Cheers!

Horatio Jan 11, 2022 3:53 am

Has anyone suggested BA Gold facemasks? I spy a gap in the market

krispy84 Jan 11, 2022 3:53 am

I prefer to travel incognito, so don’t use tags on my checked or cabin baggage.

I may need to rethink the dark glasses, fedora and trench coat though …..

passy777 Jan 11, 2022 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Horatio (Post 33891453)
Has anyone suggested BA Gold facemasks? I spy a gap in the market

Without an embroidered 'GGL' emblazoned on it, some may be reluctant to wear them.