FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BAEC luggage tags: practical utility or personal statement? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1996669-baec-luggage-tags-practical-utility-personal-statement.html)

dougzz Nov 22, 2019 6:48 pm

BAEC luggage tags: practical utility or personal statement?

A recurring theme on FT is the hate for luggage tags, and what some can read into using them. I've always regarded them as a means of ID'ing your luggage, but for many here they seem to be statements of passive entitlement.

ryan182 Nov 22, 2019 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by dougzz (Post 31767432)
A recurring theme on FT is the hate for luggage tags, and what some can read into using them. I've always regarded them as a means of ID'ing your luggage, but for many here they seem to be statements of passive entitlement.

Its not a "hate for luggage tags" as they do serve a purpose when used appropriately. IMO its pretty simple: 1 tag is for ID and sensible, >1 tag is for ego/you care too much about how special you think you are for flying a lot.

TGLoyalty Nov 23, 2019 2:30 am

Originally Posted by dougzz (Post 31767432)

To be honest I stuck my gold tag on because I was sick of crew/staff assuming I was in the wrong place, made passing into first wing a breeze too.

silver doesn’t really change anything when flying club so not so much of an issue but I no longer use a tag because BA never sent me Silver ones.

passy777 Nov 23, 2019 3:40 am

Here we go again with the luggage tag obsession. :rolleyes:
I think this topic says more about those who continuously raise the issue than those who actually use the tags.
Those who adorn their luggage with tags are not hurting anyone.

Dad to Rei Nov 23, 2019 3:42 am

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty (Post 31768133)
To be honest I stuck my gold tag on because I was sick of crew/staff assuming I was in the wrong place, made passing into first wing a breeze too.

silver doesn’t really change anything when flying club so not so much of an issue but I no longer use a tag because BA never sent me Silver ones.

This is it for me, i use two bag tags on each bag. One is my EXP tag that AA sends, and one is another random bag tag. This helps me identify my black luggage amongst the sea of other bags when I do need to check (Family trips) as well as for gate checked. It also helps when they get torn off - i have had three bag tags lost this year alone, all on short hops where a normal bag won't fit in an overhead.

T8191 Nov 23, 2019 6:03 am

I am Burgundy with QR, and they haven’t sent me any tags to add to my collection, Should I complain? :D

percysmith Nov 23, 2019 6:10 am

In Aus and NZ we already lose our bag tags.

And any priority tags seem to work in reverse - business priority means last. First priority means dead last.

RGS5526 Nov 23, 2019 6:51 am

Originally posted by percysmith:

And any priority tags seem to work in reverse - business priority means last. First priority means dead last

Obviously priority bags are loaded first, and at the destination its a case of LIFO - Last In First Out

dougzz Nov 23, 2019 7:19 am

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 31767794)
Its not a "hate for luggage tags" as they do serve a purpose when used appropriately. IMO its pretty simple: 1 tag is for ID and sensible, >1 tag is for ego/you care too much about how special you think you are for flying a lot.

Rather reenforces my point. Why would you care if someone has 2 or more tags on their bag, and why would you assume it becomes about ego. It’s a bag tag!

Apologies for OT again, but in fairness this thread has been OT for a while.

DoctorCopper Nov 23, 2019 7:33 am

Originally Posted by dougzz (Post 31768534)
Rather reenforces my point. Why would you care if someone has 2 or more tags on their bag

If I may comment. I couldn’t care less how many tags were used, but in the picture that was posted, I could only see one tag per bag.

Maybe the picture was posted due to ‘tag envy’? 😉

Doc Copper

T8191 Nov 23, 2019 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 31768545)
Let's not turn the DYKWIA thread into another debate about bag tags. We'll never bridge the gap between those who apparently can't identify their own bags unless they're adorned with shiny status symbols and those who think that flaunting your frequent-flyer credentials everywhere you go makes you look like a bit of a tit.

I, of course, have no opinion on this and am completely neutral.

The heart of the issue is that people will keep buying BLACK luggage, which looks like 90% of the stuff on the belt! ;)

Mordac Nov 23, 2019 10:08 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31768620)
The heart of the issue is that people will keep buying BLACK luggage, which looks like 90% of the stuff on the belt! ;)

Yep, things have become much easier ever since I bought a bright orange suitcase!

FlyingScientist Nov 23, 2019 11:02 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31768620)

It's not black. There are more than 50 shades of grey...

FlyingScientist Nov 23, 2019 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Mordac (Post 31768942)
Yep, things have become much easier ever since I bought a bright orange suitcase!

Becaue you could not decide whether you like the mouse grey or the ash grey? :D

T8191 Nov 23, 2019 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Mordac (Post 31768942)

We had a nice pair of “Jeep” nesting cases in sort of ‘orange’. Very distictive. At the end of their first trip, the Swissport ‘baggage manglers’ at JER managed to bust the corner if one of them. :(

The BA replacement was a boring silver Antler. At least our Gold Tags help us spot them on the belt ... and the lime green labels and bag-straps! ;)