Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA on Panaroma 11th Nov - Criticism of "Tankering" Practice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA on Panaroma 11th Nov - Criticism of "Tankering" Practice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
If the greenies want to save the environment, they can stay home then and walk everywhere.
Great argument ^
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:52 am

Fair point, it's obvious BA are pretending to be green to keep people happy, but this extreme green approach is ruining many things, including a 3rd runway that should have been built 20 years ago.

Even worse is flight shaming, it's almost as the world is on the verge of going backwards instead of forwards.

Especially with the BBC, it was obviously shown on Panorama, but the BBC's agenda is generally questionable at the very least.

If the greenies want to save the environment, they can stay home then and walk everywhere.

Stay at home AND walk everywhere? You haven't really thought this issue through have you?

BA aren't pretending to be green to keep people happy - they're doing it to reduce costs. Being 'greener' is, in many cases, cheaper. The likes of RR, GE, P&W etc aren't making more fuel efficient engines to save the planet - they're doing it so that airlines have lower fuel bills and / or longer range for the same amount of fuel. It just so happens that these efforts also reduce co2 emissions so companies loudly trumpet their green credentials wherever they can (see the slideshow at last week's Capital Markets Day).
This programme shows that BA are guilty of greenwashing - pretending to be concerned about the environment when the reality is that anything that saves them a few quid that isn't environmetally friendly is kept out of public view until details emerge at some point.
They're not the only ones of course but they're making big noises about the environment at the moment so they deserve the scrutiny.

Last edited by Schind; Nov 11, 2019 at 9:57 am
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold

Ok, boomer.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Especially with the BBC, it was obviously shown on Panorama, but the BBC's agenda is generally questionable at the very least.
You mean, they report the indisputable fact that we are destroying the planet?
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:28 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
A BA pilot was moaning about a scenario to me the other day. They'd left LHR for Scotland and were tankering round-trip fuel. At the last moment they were persuaded to take some standby crew who wanted to get home, one on the flight deck. As they approached the destination my friend starts to realise that with the extra pax - something like 400kg - they're going to be overweight. .
400kg? How many did he take for God’s sake. Probably all Worldwide male CSDs!!
Bellerophon and flygirl68 like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
If this practice was banned- the cost of tickets would definitely increase. Airports fuel providers would have a monopoly and could charge what they liked...
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Flyinghigher1
I think getting air traffic sorted would be a better start.

So routings are more direct, taxi out at big airports is quicker and holding at places like Heathrow is removed - that would have a big environmental saving.
Novel idea, wish I’d thought of it.

I’ll get on it straight away!

Bellerophon, DYKWIA, HIDDY and 6 others like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Ok, boomer.
Says a Skywards Gold member...
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I would have thought Uber-ing your kids to school would have more impact on the environment
The whole "school run" nonsense really winds me up. What's wrong with kids walking to school like I did, or getting the bus (scholars services - assuming they still run - or otherwise). And no, it wasn't uphill both ways in the rain etc. Definitely showing my age though
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Flyinghigher1
I think getting air traffic sorted would be a better start.

So routings are more direct, taxi out at big airports is quicker and holding at places like Heathrow is removed - that would have a big environmental saving.
Just to welcome you to Flyertalk and welcome you to the BA forum Flyinghigher1. It's good to see you here, and welcome on board. I think the hub/spoke model - which is the hallmark of successful legacy carriers - is very much open to question here. I do wonder if it would be worth taxing seats (empty or filled) on a sliding scale, so allowing airlines say 200 free seats on a route per day, thereby preserving the network particularly to vulnerable locations, but then ramp up the tax on inefficient aircraft and low loaded services.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by navylad
If this practice was banned- the cost of tickets would definitely increase. Airports fuel providers would have a monopoly and could charge what they liked...
Maybe ticket prices increasing could be a good thing? It would make people think whether they really needed to takle that flight.

The increase in passengers over the past 30 years has been a factor in global warming.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Ok, boomer.
i am 31!

Originally Posted by Misco60
You mean, they report the indisputable fact that we are destroying the planet?
Global warming will happen regardless. How did the last ice age happen? Not because of humans. I’m all for new technologies to reduce fuel burn ( I drive a diesel to use less fuel and save money) but people are exaggerating climate change, and China and India, the worlds biggest polluters by far, could care less about European trends so even if UK is carbon neutral or even carbon plus, nothing will change.

Originally Posted by Albert130j
Maybe ticket prices increasing could be a good thing? It would make people think whether they really needed to takle that flight.

The increase in passengers over the past 30 years has been a factor in global warming.
haha good joke, ‘increase taxes’ so the govt can spend it on more stupid things. Might as well increase my tax bill, oh wait I’m already paying over 40%.

and the biggest growth from aviation is coming from ‘developing countries’ and trust me they could care less about their emissions.
kanderson1965 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
i am 31!

Global warming will happen regardless. How did the last ice age happen? Not because of humans. I’m all for new technologies to reduce fuel burn ( I drive a diesel to use less fuel and save money) but people are exaggerating climate change, and China and India, the worlds biggest polluters by far, could care less about European trends so even if UK is carbon neutral or even carbon plus, nothing will change.

haha good joke, ‘increase taxes’ so the govt can spend it on more stupid things. Might as well increase my tax bill, oh wait I’m already paying over 40%.

and the biggest growth from aviation is coming from ‘developing countries’ and trust me they could care less about their emissions.
A great argument. "It's happening anyway, so why bother" and "others do it, too" - most 12 year olds would be proud. One shouldn't need others to do the right thing for oneself to do it. The last ice age happened over a period of thousands of years, whereas the current pattern of climate change is shockingly fast and undisputably man-made. There is no argument over whether or not climate change is real, it is a fact.
DYKWIA and flygirl68 like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder

Prices increase with big petroleum companies making more profit whilst the consumer foots there bill? No I don’t think that is a good outcome at all.

As for the rise in pax numbers in recent decades, it is a small factor, whilst inefficient boilers and other forms of transport being far more responsible.

A great argument. "It's happening anyway, so why bother" and "others do it, too" - most 12 year olds would be proud..
If people didn’t make their consumer choices by the cost alone, with the margins in aviation becoming so thin as demonstrated by failing airlines, then it would be far easier for companies ‘to do the right thing. That is when legislation should come in- but this should be focused on the price discrepancies rather than the airlines In my opinion.

Although the programme portrays it as small amounts per flight, if every BA fight saved £10, that’s £4.75m a year saved.
kanderson1965 likes this.

Last edited by navylad; Nov 11, 2019 at 1:39 pm
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
In the longer term, electric is probably the way to go, when batteries become more efficient or some type of fuel cell.
We have a long way to go before batteries are even competitive with petroleum products. Right now, the best batteries have about 50 times less energy per kg than gasoline, so if we are concerned about weight, battery powered electric vehicles are absolutely not the way to go. After all, it takes energy to move weight.

Both of these can be configured as 7 seaters. One weighs 1/3 ton more than the other. Guess which is which?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.