Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA on Panaroma 11th Nov - Criticism of "Tankering" Practice

Old Nov 11, 19, 12:07 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold

BA are accused of an anti-green agenda by the practice of "fuel tankering" whereby extra fuel is loaded onto some aircraft to avoid having to refuel at destinations where the cost is higher.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50365362

Monday 11th November, BB1 at 20:30
Old Nov 11, 19, 12:36 am

Tankering is one of the stupidest things around. Especially given IAGís focus on saving fuel, the introduction of Honeywell software that advises flight crews on how to save fuel, the use of PCUs on the ground, single engine taxing, the direct approaches and the biofuels...

Glad itís come out, time for BA to dump this policy. I doubt theyíll save more than £5-10m per year, which they can save by not giving Alex and his posse a raise and a bonus this year.
Old Nov 11, 19, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
Tankering is one of the stupidest things around. Especially given IAGís focus on saving fuel, the introduction of Honeywell software that advises flight crews on how to save fuel, the use of PCUs on the ground, single engine taxing, the direct approaches and the biofuels...

Glad itís come out, time for BA to dump this policy. I doubt theyíll save more than £5-10m per year, which they can save by not giving Alex and his posse a raise and a bonus this year.
Cost cutting is clearly not in YOUR DNA .... don't go applying for a job at BA anytime soon :-)
Old Nov 11, 19, 1:09 am

Programs: Bronze, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Its not always about cost of fuel for airlines, its about availability of said fuel and for some airlines saving time. At busy airports you could be waiting longer for the fuel tankers than the time allocated for the turnaround.

Why not have a go at all the car/bus/ttuck drivers who completely fill up their fuel tank when they are only doing 40 miles or less per day whilst they are at it, same reasons apply to them.
Old Nov 11, 19, 1:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
And what does all the holding into LHR cost every year in terms of additional fuel consumption? Surely tackling this would have a big impact.
Old Nov 11, 19, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Cost cutting is clearly not in YOUR DNA .... don't go applying for a job at BA anytime soon :-)
Worked there for 10+ years my dear!
Old Nov 11, 19, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by SonTech View Post
Its not always about cost of fuel for airlines, its about availability of said fuel and for some airlines saving time. At busy airports you could be waiting longer for the fuel tankers than the time allocated for the turnaround.

Why not have a go at all the car/bus/ttuck drivers who completely fill up their fuel tank when they are only doing 40 miles or less per day whilst they are at it, same reasons apply to them.
Whilst what youíre saying is undoubtedly a risk, in practice it doesnít happen too much. Tankering is done first and foremost for ££ reasons.
Qatar Airways and SW7London like this.
Old Nov 11, 19, 1:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
Worked there for 10+ years my dear!
So youíre the whistle blower?
Old Nov 11, 19, 1:32 am

Unsure if tankering is accounted for in any way in CORSIA, but I imagine not. Might be quite lucrative to reduce this practice, but only from 2021 onwards...
Old Nov 11, 19, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by madfish View Post
And what does all the holding into LHR cost every year in terms of additional fuel consumption? Surely tackling this would have a big impact.
It's being tackled ..... with a 3rd runway.

But I bet those greens still won't be happy :-)
Old Nov 11, 19, 1:39 am

How many motorists drive past a petrol station to get to Sainsbury’s or similar cheaper petrol?
Old Nov 11, 19, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by muscat View Post
How many motorists drive past a petrol station to get to Sainsbury’s or similar cheaper petrol?
Surely that makes sense though?!

If you have fuel in your tank to get to Sainsbury's (assuming you are shopping there or otherwise passing it) then filling up earlier is stupid because you are spending more time driving on a full tank.

Logically the size of fuel tanks should be halved, indeed quartered. There is no reason in the UK why you need more than 100 miles-worth of fuel in your car and the environmental benefits would be huge.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 11, 19, 1:46 am
formerly samwilliams88

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Ambassador
It doesnít just happen in big airlines. It also happens in general aviation too. I fly privately and if I am flying somewhere which I know the fuel is cheaper then I will fill up there and ferry it back to our base. It also works the other way round, if our home base fuel is cheaper than where Iím flying to, Iíll double up on fuel so I donít have to fill up at a more expensive airfield.

Personally, this doesnít bother me, at the end of the day. A business is a business and has to make money. As they say, pennies make the pounds...
mradey and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 11, 19, 1:52 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Logically the size of fuel tanks should be halved, indeed quartered. There is no reason in the UK why you need more than 100 miles-worth of fuel in your car and the environmental benefits would be huge.
That's sarcasm, right? I can't for the life of me imagine how the weight of 50L vs 12L would make an environmental improvement with an automobile.
Crofton138 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 19, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Stena Gold
Surely that makes sense though?!

If you have fuel in your tank to get to Sainsbury's (assuming you are shopping there or otherwise passing it) then filling up earlier is stupid because you are spending more time driving on a full tank.

You live in London, and don't own a car, do you?

Have a look how far it is between sources of fuel in Scotland out of normal business hours........

Search this Thread
Search Engine: