Wiki Posts
Search

Avios Iberia/BA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, TK Elite, FB Silver
Avios Iberia/BA

I have a slight problem in understanding the FFP of BA and IB, incl. Avios.
Seems, that even though both BA and IB are IAG, the FFP is not the same, even though having the same "currency", avios?!
I used to spend those AVIOS on inflight food and snacks on BA, but I wonder if by BA Avios are of any use on IB?!
Is there any way to UPG and Iberia flight at check in using my BA Avios?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
yes you can book rewards on IB flights via BA - see Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

But you can't use BA avios to upgrade an IB fare.

Whilst avios are a shared currency BA and IB operate different FFP schemes with their own rules.

You can transfer BA avios to IB - there are several threads about that
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
You can transfer avis freely between Ba and Iberia.

There are other programs that call their curreny Avios, but cant be transferred therefore makng the Avios naming meanngless
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LH600
I have a slight problem in understanding the FFP of BA and IB, incl. Avios.
Seems, that even though both BA and IB are IAG, the FFP is not the same, even though having the same "currency", avios?!
I used to spend those AVIOS on inflight food and snacks on BA, but I wonder if by BA Avios are of any use on IB?!
Is there any way to UPG and Iberia flight at check in using my BA Avios?
The very same award itinerary can cost vastly different amounts of cash or Avios, depending on whether you redeem BAEC Avios or IB Plus Avios. Last year, I flew a four-segment award itinerary on AA within the U.S.; BAEC wanted 30,000 Avios, while IB Plus charged me just 12,000 Avios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.