Wiki Posts
Search

BA371 MRS-LHR. Long delay [3 Nov 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by richardwft
What exact circumstances? Please describe them.
Try reading the thread.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Albert130j
That's not really a passenger concern, is it?

Extraordinary circumstances are coupled with a responsibility on the carrier to take all reasonable measures.

Adjudging what is reasonable is a matter for an arbitrator or Court, not a passenger.
Thankfully we follow the law and not what you think is best!
PUCCI GALORE and flygirl68 like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
May I defer you to this thread, where there are innumerable examples of BA choosing to not follow the law - often bending the truth somewhat in order to not uphold their legal obligations:

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Nov 3, 2019, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by madfish
Try reading the thread.
I’ve read excellent posts #24 and #25.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rossmacd
May I defer you to this thread, where there are innumerable examples of BA choosing to not follow the law - often bending the truth somewhat in order to not uphold their legal obligations:

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
I should have included when it comes to safety.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I’ve read excellent posts #24 and #25.
But ignored posts 9, 11 and 19 for example?

The simple fact a number of flights were diverted would be a clear indication of issues likely beyond the airlines control.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by madfish
But ignored posts 9, 11 and 19 for example?

The simple fact a number of flights were diverted would be a clear indication of issues likely beyond the airlines control.
No.
Post #11 included details of flights that weren’t diverted, hence my interest in more details which were kindly provided in posts #24 and #25.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
No.
Post #11 included details of flights that weren’t diverted, hence my interest in more details which were kindly provided in posts #24 and #25.
I am not quite sure what you are trying to get at here? The weather was clearly very poor in the area at the time (I could copy in the METARs but it tends to send people to sleep ) and a number of other flights either side of the BA one all diverted too.

Are you suggesting the BA diversion (and all the others) wasn’t due to weather and that this is something for which compensation should be paid?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
I am not quite sure what you are trying to get at here?....Are you suggesting the BA diversion (and all the others) wasn’t due to weather and that this is something for which compensation should be paid?
No.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I don't know what point you think you are making here. EC261 expects airlines to take all reasonable measures to minimise the effects of cancellations (and long delays are treated as de facto cancellations).

Thus, it is not the passenger's concern how an airline operates, simply their right to claim compensation and have the Courts or arbitrators decide whether the airline took all reasonable measures. This is not my opinion, it is a matter of fact.

Why you conflate this with operating in line with the law (which I would expect any legitimate carrier to do) is beyond me.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I am neither stating nor implying that BA did not take all reasonable measures in this case.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:49 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I’m grateful to all who contributed here. My friend landed in London 8 hours late. He subsequently got an A flight to JFK so arrived late, exhausted, but safe and sound.

The question now becomes complex. That the initial delay was due to a weather diversion and the subsequent repositioning of the aircraft is unquestionably far from anyone’s direct control. However, another long delay of nearly four hours occurred because the aircraft went tech. I have told him to claim, and to be persistent. Almost certainly one delay morphed into another The passengers were told hat there was an air conditioning problem.

Id be interested to know your thoughts as this is not a cut-and- dried issue in my view.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Dear One. I think that you mis typed hunk for hulk...
Surely you mean he mistyped hunk for chunk? Easily done
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I’m grateful to all who contributed here. My friend landed in London 8 hours late. He subsequently got an A flight to JFK so arrived late, exhausted, but safe and sound.

The question now becomes complex. That the initial delay was due to a weather diversion and the subsequent repositioning of the aircraft is unquestionably far from anyone’s direct control. However, another long delay of nearly four hours occurred because the aircraft went tech. I have told him to claim, and to be persistent. Almost certainly one delay morphed into another The passengers were told hat there was an air conditioning problem.

Id be interested to know your thoughts as this is not a cut-and- dried issue in my view.
I would have given the same advice as you arguing this should almost be treated as two separate delays for purposes of compensation. I expect ba customer service to refuse but believe they would be wrong.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Albert130j
I don't know what point you think you are making here. EC261 expects airlines to take all reasonable measures to minimise the effects of cancellations (and long delays are treated as de facto cancellations).

Thus, it is not the passenger's concern how an airline operates, simply their right to claim compensation and have the Courts or arbitrators decide whether the airline took all reasonable measures. This is not my opinion, it is a matter of fact.

Why you conflate this with operating in line with the law (which I would expect any legitimate carrier to do) is beyond me.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I am neither stating nor implying that BA did not take all reasonable measures in this case.
Well the hell are talking about, I have never been talking about delay compensation only safety.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
However, another long delay of nearly four hours occurred because the aircraft went tech. I have told him to claim, and to be persistent. Almost certainly one delay morphed into another The passengers were told hat there was an air conditioning problem.

Agree, claim and be persistent. Emphasise the tech delay and not the earlier weather-related problem.

Frankly they should have been getting your friend out of MRS on another carrier long before any of this but that's incompatible with making a chunky profit so there we are.

BTW Storm Amelie wasn't just "a bit of weather" it was deadly storms and subsequent flooding. Across the border in Italy, people died. BA did well to get to MPL, frankly.
PUCCI GALORE and flygirl68 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.