Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cutting it too close (for LHR SH flight)?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Yeah check on the day, any delays get the Hex.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Yes for £20 or so more than the Tube fare, you will save a lot of stress and I think I am right in saying that the 1910 is last GVA flight of the day so you could be up for a night’s accommodation plus whatever ticket change costs might be involved! Personally I would rather be sitting in bar/cafe/lounge in T5 than stuck between stations somewhere on the Piccadilly Line!
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I second the advice to keep a close eye on the train operational status, whichever route you take. The HEX is not immune to problems and if it was malfunctioning you would then need to use Piccadilly line or a taxi.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've had no issues getting to T5 on the Piccadilly line when I've been on a Friday afternoon, but there are no guarantees. Worth checking the live departure boards on the TFL website that afternoon to see when exactly the T5 trains are due, which may help with your decision making. It will show all the trains in the next half hour (T5 trains from Holborn currently due in 3, 12 and 24 mins - so the 10 minute regularity is not a given). Travel in the front carriage so that you are by the exit barriers when you arrive. Personally, I'd try and duck out of work a bit earlier to give yourself some leeway.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:01 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Yup. And then when the T5 train does come along they’ll then decide to terminate at Northfields for another indeterminable wait.

HEX is far far more predictable.
That's exactly what happened to me. The overwhelming sentiment seems to be - doable - but just and the system is subject to so many things that could go wrong.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:04 am

Having commuted on the Piccadilly Line for 8 years, twice a day, I wouldn't even try it. The "advertised" frequency to T5 can go up from 10 to 15, 20 minutes; there can be signal failures (happens fortnightly), or the lovely red signals especially after Acton. And the other lovely habit of trains to go out of service at Northfields.

Add to it the crowd factor and you might not make it on the train you intend to take.

TfL has its fair share of staunch defenders, especially amongst those who seldom (if ever) take it, but in terms of reliability, speed, comfort and value for money it's one of the worst amongst "World cities". There's worse (Southwestern trains, for instance) but I wouldn't bet on it at all.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
There’s an odd phenomenon on the Picc, which dictates that the more pressing the need to get to T5, the more likely it is that the indicator says :

1. Uxbridge
2. Heathrow T4 & 123
3. Rayners Lane
4. Northfields

I would echo that the OPs trip is doable, but will lead to some sweaty palms if there’s any perturbation in the service resulting in very overcrowded trains making longer-than-usual stops at every station on the way.
Ha-ha. This is exactly my experience. If I trot up to Gloucester Road and I’m only going for example to Hammersmith the first train is invariably going to T5; if I’m late for a flight then what I see on the indicator board is precisely as shown above.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: IHG Gold
With no luggage, how about the motocycle taxi?

signol
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by 13901
Having commuted on the Piccadilly Line for 8 years, twice a day, I wouldn't even try it. The "advertised" frequency to T5 can go up from 10 to 15, 20 minutes; there can be signal failures (happens fortnightly), or the lovely red signals especially after Acton. And the other lovely habit of trains to go out of service at Northfields.

Add to it the crowd factor and you might not make it on the train you intend to take.

TfL has its fair share of staunch defenders, especially amongst those who seldom (if ever) take it, but in terms of reliability, speed, comfort and value for money it's one of the worst amongst "World cities". There's worse (Southwestern trains, for instance) but I wouldn't bet on it at all.
This. I am getting a 6pm flight from stansted on Thurs- have half a day at work and i am leaving work and going to get some food and go to stansted. I was going to go home which is 45 mins away but i am not going to do that because it adds two risks of something going wrong instead of one.

London is so terribly unreliable. i wouldnt.
13901 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:51 am

I was recently on the Piccadily line from Holborn to LHR since Hex wasn't running. According to the TfL website, there were no delays, but the train was already running a couple of minutes late by the time it reached Hammersmith. Then there was a problem with doors at Hammersmith which added another 10 minutes, which meant I would miss the bag drop-off time, so I jumped out at Acton Town and took an uber from there, making it to the airport with minutes to spare. So yes, I'd leave a solid buffer.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 35K
Thanks everyone for the responses. The consensus is strong that it’s very risky so I think I’m gonna get out early and then just work from the lounge without needing to stress about missing the flight.

Thanks again for all the responses, this forum is always extremely helpful!
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I get the Piccadilly line every day to/from work. It's a highly variable service and often stops 'to even out gaps in the service'.

A cheaper alternative to HEX is TfL rail, takes half an hour from Paddington and goes every half an hour. If the timing works, that is a more reliable service than the tube.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.