Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clocks Change and BA's Schedule

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
From bitter experience, the BA2931 is 06:40 in the summer and 06:10 in the winter. That makes the difference between leaving the house at 04:00 and a leisurely drive to EDI, versus leaving at 03:45 and belting it down the M90 and usually also scraping ice off the car. The winter timetable is not something I relish.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Few years ago I flew back from the US during the week where the time difference was 4 not 5 hours and the flight was still scheduled to arrive at LHR at its usual time and they adjusted the departure time at the origin airport to cover it.

But I guess it’s not always possible to do that.

And yes as these dates are known about a long time in advance (unless you’re I think Morocco and you change your mind at the last minute) the airlines adjust their schedules for it.
I'll be doing that this week, as I recall the US doesn't change foe another week?
Old Oct 27, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Incidentally, if, as promised, we stop changing time for the winter, I do wonder if the winter and summer season will keep happening on the same dates or change somehow. US airlines have long had more "seasons" of flights for instance, and I have often wondered if the 7 months - 5 months model is ideal for airlines.
The dates on which international schedules change are governed for all airlines by the IATA scheduling seasons, including US airlines. (They are free to be more liberal/indecisive/disruptive about domestic flights, but I think you will find the same pattern on international flights operated by US airlines.) So these dates are not really by BA's choice, neither are they directly to do with the dates on which we start and end daylight saving time.

I don't know where the dates for the IATA scheduling seasons came from. But ISTR that in the dim and distant past there may have been more global consensus on the last Sunday in March and the last Sunday in October being the dates for starting/ending DST, so that is a possibility.

Nevertheless, as countries have increasingly diverged from what (IIRC) was more common in the past, IATA has stuck to the same pattern. It would make some sense for IATA to move to the dates of any new global consensus on DST dates, but I see that as less likely now than ever. However, if the whole of Europe abandons DST altogether, I agree that it could cause this to be re-thought. I imagine, though, that we'd be looking at change in the medium term rather than the short term.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Europe is last Sunday in October and last Sunday in March, whereas the US are first Sunday in November and 2nd Sunday in March, so there's a one week gap going back to winter time, and 2, sometimes 3, week difference in the spring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.