FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   New BA First Class? [8F configured Boeing 772] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1990510-new-ba-first-class-8f-configured-boeing-772-a.html)

ijgordon Aug 22, 2023 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by chriswiles (Post 35519386)
The seats are quite old, a bit dusty in places. I used my hot towel to give it a good wipe down and the crew saw and remarked the seat wasn't the best and due a replacement. The worst thing for me was the IFE. Just didn't work. Was slow and sluggish and you needed to use the controller to navigate. Reminded me of an old bus which had had many bums on the seat of the years.

Put it another way, when I saw the upgraded F on a 777 out of JFK in January, I was genuinely amazed how big the IFE was and how modern the seat looks, even compared to the Club Suite. I wanted to be in that new F. I've not managed to get in there yet. Only old F.

But, if you love a good drink, excellent service and upgraded food, it's the same in old F versus new F.

Thx - I'm really hoping that they don't swap planes for our flight back to the US in new F, as obviously that's when the IFE will be more important. I usually just turn on the moving map and leave it there (and actually I don't like most of the modern iterations of the map, including BA's, you can't easily see where the aircraft actually is on the map due to the 3D view -- splash over substance IMO).

Oh I didn't see this - you won't get compensation for old F as it's still F!
Well, what about "Old F with a sagging seat cushion and barely operable IFE"? Does that get me any compensation? ;)

ijgordon Aug 22, 2023 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by UrbanLegend (Post 35519073)
I had the experience of both recently (77H out and 77M back). The older seats are fine for sleeping but I wear the eye mask to block out any light. Since you need 2 seats you get the benefit of a larger table and buddy dining. Something to enjoy since you can't do that with the newer seats.

Thanks for that and the pics! I definitely always use the eye masks (I have my own that is nicer actually) and earplugs, so when sleeping light shouldn't be a problem but sometimes it's annoying if you're just trying to chill and watch a movie. Less of an issue on the redeye though.
We did buddy dining in CX F a handful of years ago, definitely novel but the buddy seat wasn't particularly comfortable and that's a larger suite than BA in general. So I think we'll skip that. :)

orbitmic Aug 22, 2023 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 35519717)
Well, what about "Old F with a sagging seat cushion and barely operable IFE"? Does that get me any compensation? ;)

i have no issue with « old » F. The seats are spacious and comfortable and no they are not hugely exposed to the aisle, less so for instance than F on QR IMHO.

And no, you won’t get compensation for old F, you won’t get a free flight change due to the swap, and you won’t get a goodwill gestures. Chances are you also won’t get a sagging seat cushion nor a failing ife. The new one has much larger screens and feels nice and "new" because the cabins have bee n fitted recently, but quite frankly, there isn't a huge difference and the 8 seat F on the 777 have in fact been fitted recently (reduced from the 14F) and most are in fact in very good shape too. .